Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tick or Skin Tag?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ellie Lovatt, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Ellie Lovatt

Ellie Lovatt PetForums Junior

After taking my dog out for a walk today I noticed a small white lump behind her ear (not sure how long shes had it, may be a coincidence?) I’m unsure whether it is a tick or not as I didn’t realise that they could be that colour.

I’m unsure if its a skin tag or a tick?

I’ve tried to have a look however shes not letting me go too near to her ear and won’t stop fidgeting.

Any help?

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Ticks have legs which you can see at the base of the white lump. If you are unsure I'd pop her to the vets as they will remove the tick for you if that's the problem.

DaisyBluebell and Ellie Lovatt like this.
  3. Ellie Lovatt

couldn’t see any legs however she won’t stop moving.

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

If it's bothering her then I would definitely get a vet check. Unless you can get someone else to hold her still whilst you have a good look. If the tick has had a really good feed it can be quite engorged meaning you might not be able to see the legs. It may drop off overnight if it's full, but check the site in the morning as it might leave a sore lump.

Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  5. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

We've just had our first tick encounter with Woody, it was yuk!
    We couldn't see the legs either until it was out. I then decided to take a look under a magnifying glass, wish I hadn't.

He has had a lump at the site which has slowly been going down and I assume it is an inflammatory response to the bite like would happen to a human.

If it is a tick just make sure you get it out properly.

6. Ellie Lovatt

worried about trying to get it out myself incase i leave part of the head in. you hear so many stories about ticks!

lol i will make sure i don’t take a good look at it haha!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice