Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

TICA maximum cat breeding age for registration

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Jlt0106, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Jlt0106

Jlt0106 PetForums Newbie

Hi im just wondering what the maximum breeding age is for the queen to register her litter? I can't find the answer anywhere???!!

Thanks

2. Lunarags

Lunarags PetForums Member

How old is your cat? You really shouldn't be breeding her past the age of 4

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Depends in my view entirely on the queen. Some should never be bred past their first litter, others have a great deal to offer the breed, and are fantastic mothers. Most are somewhere in-between.

Tigermoon and spotty cats like this.
  4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Suggest either emailing tica or ask on any of the tica fb groups.

Did you buy an adult cat when just starting out? Is the previous owner not mentoring you?

Agree, far too many variables.

5. Lunarags

Lunarags PetForums Member

Yes i has a cat like this - she was a horrendous mother and went straight to the vets as soon as we could. Im assuming, since OP is asking about maximum age, that the cat is not just 1 or 2, as if this was the case there would be no need to ask. Risks go up as the cat gets past about 4, so this is a good guide to go by, especially if you don't know her previous breeding history

#5 Lunarags, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    SusieRainbow likes this.
  6. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Are you sure there is a TICA maximum breeding age? I don't think there is in GCCF. For my sins, I have registered kittens from an eight year old without any problem in the past. (I agree with others here that, regardless of any restrictions, I would not advise breeding a girl over the age of four in order to reduce the risk of health problems as she gets older.)

Lunarags likes this.
  7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Cats are such individuals I hesitate to give any guides about age for first mating, age to stop breeding, gap between litters.

I have no idea if TICA even has a rule about maximum age. A very quick Google didn't reveal anything. The best people to ask, in my view, are TICA themselves.

Contact Us (tica.org)

There is an email address for questions about registration.

Tigermoon likes this.
  8. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

As far as I am aware there is no upper age limit for any feline registry. Most breeders stop between 4 or 6 years of age though, very very few would breed a female beyond that point.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice