Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tibetan Terriers - Tell me about them please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by topseyturvey, Oct 3, 2013.

1. topseyturvey

topseyturvey PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Haven't posted on here for a while,but we are thinking of getting another dog and from the research I have been doing a Tibetan Terrier seems to fit in well with us,so I would like some feedback from folks who own the breed,good and bad please :)

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I think one of the Mods has these.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

tashi has one - she is a MOD so doesn't always get time to post but she won't mind if you send her a private message :)

The ones I've met have been people loving and friendly with my dogs :)
    But I understand they are independent and strongwilled as well ;)

4. Tash

Tash PetForums Member

I got all excited just then seeing a topic about Tibbie's! :eek:

Benji (11 months now) is such a lovely dog but he is hard work!

I'll give you a run down of my good and bads.

Good:

Full of character
    Very independent (good and bad? haha)
    Always tries hard to please
    A great lifespan
    Real companions
    Needs real stimulation a lot of the time (puzzle toys yay!)
    Great on long walks (1 - 1/2 hours at a time)

Bad:

Quite mouthy in my experience
    You need dedication to groom him daily
    Gets up to mischief (stealing clothes etc)
    Benji had a problem with his anal glands but they've seemed to have settled down now!
    Doesn't like to be left (but if you keep up the training with this, there's no doubt in my mind they'll get used to it as Benji is doing lately)

Honestly though, all in all, all I can say is how lovely they are. You will always get a reaction from other dog walkers (they seem to idolize the little terror! haha) and once that bond is made.. it'll never be broken. You just need to have time on your hands to really train with them the moment they come home; especially with recall, bite inhibition and CUDDLES haha.

#4 Tash, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

I had one, he was a very special character.

He was never mouthy with people but would chew anything and everything - his favourite was tissues, son's socks, cutlery and tomato sauce bottles (plastic one, that was a sight to behold)

They are very intelligent, easy to train if they see the point. Don't like to be left alone and for a smallish dog have a very big bark. Lots of grooming required so start immediately, don't wait until its long enough to need grooming.

Do have a long average life span but sadly ours died aged 5

6. topseyturvey

Thanks,all input is appreciated x

7. jfine1231

jfine1231 PetForums Newbie

TTs (some people in the states are starting to call them Temple Dogs) are wonderful friends and companions. Our two TTs/TDs are very bright, social, and want to be with us all the time (even in bed). They do try to herd us to come to bed when they are ready! I should also add they are very mischievous and quick on their feet. Don't leave food out. They are also quite entertaining. I think they have us very well trained. We have one older male and a younger female. We'd love to have a few more. They can be stubborn-so don't yell at them or force them to do what YOU want--make it a play thing to get to "behave". Should you get a TT/TD or two I hope you will let me know. Good luck. Joel

8. topseyturvey

Thank you,I will let you know when we get one,I have located an excellent breeder,has a proven record,health tests all his dogs and we are going to arrange a visit after christmas.
    We are going to get a bitch puppy hopefully and I would love to show her,my daughter will be responsible for the grooming aspect,she loves dogs and works part time in the groomer's while completing her college course (Animal Management level 3 this yr)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice