Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tibetan Terrier owners; what shampoo do you use?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by SteveyP, Jun 13, 2010.

1. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

I'm trying to improve Misha's coat from fluffy fuzz, in the first sig pic, to something smoother and silkier. I use normal hair shampoo and Pantene smooth and sleek conditioner, then ice on ice spray. Any suggestions for a smoother coat ?

2. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I use Wahl shampoo's and conditioner's, copper tones one on my gold girl and dirty beastie on maisie, use a low setting heat to dry them as not to dry out their coats and finsh with a mink oil to take out any frizz. I also add fish oil to their food and I swear by it!!!!! both their coats are glossy

3. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Dont use normal hair shampoo too harsh for the coat what colour is Misha ?

4. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

Hi Tashi, she's the black one in the first photo.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked up the shampoos, love the Dirty Beastie one! They do an intense black too. I'm going to investigate Mink oil but definitely start off with oil in her food as I used that for Oscar when he had some white flaky bits. It's going to be one thing at a time to spread the cost :D

5. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

:thumbup:
    The intense black will be prefect!! Wahl showman range are concentrate so make sure you mix them 1 part shampoo to 15 parts water, I nearly didn't first time I used it :lol:
    Fish oil is fab!!!!!:thumbup: I buy mine from fish4dogs - Salmon oil - I have the 3 litre box, it lasts for ages, both my girl love it on their dinner...... it dosen't smell to fishy either....

#5 Lucylewis0, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  6. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

I'll start with salmon oil then and see how it goes then buy some shampoo for the next bath. I need to learn how to blow dry properly too. :D

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Hi Stevey as Lucy has said make sure that you do dilute, the other trick is to make sure that you get it all out from the base of the coat. I use Kelco shampoos on mine and also their conditioners :thumbup:, as for the drying that is an art in itself what brush do you have ?

8. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

It's a metal pin brush with plain ends. I mostly use the comb and then go over her with the brush when she's finished. I've seen these with longer pins, would that be better for thicker fur?

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Can anyone educate me a little more about Mink oil? I have had a look online and found links that suggest it is made from actual Minks, to which I would have an ethical objection.

10. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Yes it would and if you want to keep her coat never 'dry' brush her, I keep a garden sprayer with water in it and a small blob of conditioner - shake before use and mix it - helps to save coat

11. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Do you know I have never even thought about it, I find it too greasy and dont use it. will be looking now on the tins ;)

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

If you Google it, you would be surprised what comes up.... anything from 'pure' Mink Oil to various dog grooming sprays that claim to contain "real mink oil". Apparently it is made from the fat from skinned minks killed for the fur trade... so you can see why I'm not too keen to buy any!

13. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

I'll get her a longer brush them at the next show. I use Ice on Ice to brush with, it's a detangler that I've seen lots of owners have at shows but I don't dilute it. I use hair conditioner in the bath.

14. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

That's why I was going to investigate this too, sounds nasty to me! Someone suggested spray baby oil but he was the one who suggested human shampoo so he's a bit dodgy lol :)

15. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

yep Ice on Ice is fine that is what I use but was trying to keep costs down for you :lol:

16. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

S'ok, hubby doesn't seem to mind lol :). We have had our Collie for 10 years and he was bathed and brushed all the time because of his submissive weeing problem, he was never pampered like this!

17. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Do you show ?? We sometimes are up in your neck of the woods to shows

18. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

We just show at the fun shows but we go to watch the others. We went to the TTOC, the TT owners club and the three counties show just to watch the other TTs. We are sad lol. We missed Crufts and the Birmingham national shows as we could only go at weekends. One day we hope to have one or two dogs to show ourselves.

19. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

Hi, thanks for all the advice, well.. I bought some salmon oil and Paddy and Misha both have it on their dinners and I noticed an improvement after about a month, there is definitely more shine to their coats, but I did have some cut off Misha's as well so it may be better kept shorter. We went to the TT fun day and there was a grooming workshop where they said any shampoo as long as it's mild so I just bought some Johnson's velvet coat shampoo and Luxury coat conditioner. They've had a couple of baths in that and it's lovely and they are £2.99 each so not a bit outlay at once although as usual smaller will probably work out more expensive over time.

20. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

:D
    Great News!! I swear by salmon oil :thumbup: I have to clean daisy face after dinner tho as it tends to stain her white beard :lol:
    I have just got the 'one shot' conditioner....Mmmmmmmit smells great..... and has made both girls' coats very shiny:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice