Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thyronorm side effects?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ana Mirt, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Ana Mirt

Ana Mirt PetForums Newbie

Anyone who has their cat on thyronorm?
    My 11 yo boy started this med 3 weeks ago, this week he was vomiting a lot and being very fatigued so I took him to the vet the day before yesterday,they took bloods again and the results showed that his thyronorm dose was to high ,so the vet said we should reduce the the dose to half(0.25ml) twice a day and repeat the bloods in 3 weeks.We started on the reduced dose last evening.Today he is again very fatigued and sleepy ,with reduced appetite, seems a bit lost into space..Do you think this could be because of the overdose previously taken,will his body need a few days to stabilise the 0,25 dose? I called the vet to ask and another one was on duty ,asking that I would take the cat in for them to consult,but I would want to stress the cat since it hasn't even been a full 48 h since the last vet visit and blood sample and all..any suggestions anyone?I would greatly appreciate your advice.thanks

2. Graham1954

Graham1954 PetForums Newbie

Our 18.5 year old female cat has been on 0.5ml dose for a week now, not much change at present and we go back to the vet in 5 weeks time. The vet expects weight gain and more mobility by then. At that age vet visits are not wanted, so will see what happens, but at that age we are near the end.
    One good thing is not being sick so often.
    Sorry not much help for your case.

Good luck with your boy at 11 he is in his prime, or should be.

3. Ana Mirt

Ana Mirt PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the reply Graham ,hope your girl will tolerate the medication better ,mine was fine for about 2 weeks but then the vomiting and fatigue started.
    I decided I will skip this evening s dose and see how he wakes up tomorrow, if a bit better might skip the morning too and take him to the vet for advice ,I am too scared to continue giving it to him..
    Hope your girl will have many happy years ahead ❤

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Ring your vet tomorrow and ask what their advice is. Don't just take a punt and start skipping doses.

Jansheff and Tigermoon like this.
  5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Any thyroid drug needs regular testing at the beginning to get it to the correct dose for the individual involved. Skipping doses is extremely foolhardy as it will immediately change the value of a blood test meaning you'll have to start all over again.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice