Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thyronorm dose

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Helen bg, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Helen bg

Helen bg PetForums Newbie

Hello, can anyone advise me what the dose is for thyronorm for cats. My old cat is currently on vidalta 10 tablets, one a day. What’s the equivalent dose for thyronorm?
    Any advice appreciated :)

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

What has your vet prescribed?

TriTri likes this.
  3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

It depends on the cat’s thyroid levels. You should only use medication prescribed for your cat and the vet should have the container marked with the quantity.

4. Helen bg

Hi Torin my vet prescribed 2.5mg twice a day when she was on Vidalta 15 but I’ve just had a new packet of thyronorm and it says 1,2 ml twice a day. My cat is now on vidalta 10. We switch to the thyronorm if we go away so that it’s easier for our cat sitter to administer the medicine. I spoke to the vet nurse yesterday and they said the 1.2 ml is the correct dose but I can’t believe it is as it’s so much more than she was on before when she was taking the vidalta 15! Going away today and not sure what to tell cat sitter !!

5. Helen bg

Thanks for replying. I’ve posted some further info below

TriTri likes this.
  6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Thyronorm & Vidalta contain different active ingredients - Thyronorm contains Thiamazole and Vidalta Carbimazole. So the amount in mg for the two different ingredients may well be different.

TriTri likes this.
  7. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

My small cat took 1.25 mg of Thyronorm twice a day, instead of 1.25mg twice a day of Felimazole, but she’s never had Vidalta, sorry.

8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Felimazole contains both Methimazole and Thiamazole. The dose for a cat of a given size varies according to how much is needed to control the hyperthyroidism.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice