Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thundershirt...to buy or not

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by paddyjulie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i know a few people on here have used them and some have seen good results...

i am thinking about getting one for mavis...so this is my question..........Has anyone used one for a dog that has a huge fear of the vets ? and did it reduce the anxiety?

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

We bought Sophie one last week, We put it on her in the store to much growling from her. We then took her into the grooming area and left.

The groomer was able to pick her up, touch her paws and even clip her nails which no one has been able to do.

Id recommend it.

3. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I bought one at a show at the weekend, bit of an impulse buy as they were on offer. I was just interested to see if it would have an effect on my most nervous dog. Maybe a bit too early to tell, but so far their seems to be an improvement. For the money, I think it's worth trying.

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Thankyou...just on these two posts alone i think i will buy, and give it a try :D

we just imagine that one of these days she will keel over and die in the vets through her fear...its that bad :eek:

5. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Forgot to mention that if you feel it hasn't worked, there's a 45 day window to return it regardless of condition with full refund.

6. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My dog isn't nervous, but gets a bit yappy when he's tired. I put his thundershirt on and he goes straight to sleep. Worth a try.

7. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Thought I'd jump on this thread and ask is it okay for dogs to wear in hot weather? Or warmer weather, I'm thinking of buying my 2 one each for around the house for when guests come and then for when they get walked.

Just watched a couple of videos with dogs wearing them and they seem pretty good. Would love to use them on my 2 :) Maybe go along the local Cats and Dogs Home and buy one there

Think as L4L said, Im going to go for the Kitchen Sink approach, as in try everything to help along side training. Sorry to hijack your thread Paddyjulie! :eek:

xxx

#7 Pupcakes, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  8. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Re fear of the vets...when one of mine goes they all go so sometimes when they go nothing bad happens to them they just associate it with fusses and treats from the nurses. This has cured Pippi's fear of the vet completely.

I got Shannow a Thundershirt and it hasn't made an iota of difference to her nervousness in public :(

9. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Mavis will not take a treat off me or anyone in the vets...:eek: the fear(shaking,drooling,increased heart rate) starts about a mile away in the car before we even get to the vets...:(

10. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Could you take him on lots of visits just to buy one of their treats? Sorry if you've tried that already.

11. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

just joined the FB page ...might be some info on there x

12. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i haven't tried that..but i may try it alongside the shirt..and see how we go...thanks xx

13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

ordered her a large :D here's hoping for a miracle :D:D

14. Stellabella

Stellabella PetForums Senior

I got a medium for my Cavalier. Stella's problem is animals on the tv, but since getting it she ignores them. It is truly amazing!

I want to try it on Asha in the car, as she gets really stressed. I will let you know how that one goes!

15. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

you have me thinking about Chester now :lol: he barks at anything with four legs on the Tv... on the laptop :eek: and his own refelction :rolleyes:

16. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Does not work for Dex really- but his was bought for over excitedness etc, not nerves.

17. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Branston has got really bad at letting us examine him, he used to be fine but now if we try to check him over for thorns etc (which we have to do a lot because of the places they go) he gets very growly and wont let us look at his tummy or inside his back legs. He's also got bad at letting us clip his claws, and last week he had a tic.......well..... you would have thought we were torturing him the fuss he made when we were trying to remove it :rolleyes:

I don't know why he's got like this but I'm wondering whether a thundershirt might be the way to go. Has anyone had success with one for a similar problem?

18. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

im wondering if one might help D with his nervousness/stress around some dogs???

19. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

might be worth a try..i will let you know how i get on with Mavis as she is very afraid of other dogs ...

well........... here is a picture of the beautiful lady(sorry about quality.. taken with my phone)

[​IMG]

i am suprised how nice it looks also.......so far so good anyway...we put it on and she was quite happy with it ...so tomorrow we are going to try a little walk...wish us luck x

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Over excitedness in what way? And does it help? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice