Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thundershirt help please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Jan 8, 2012.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ok so Kenzie's Thundershirt arrived this morning :thumbsup: I eventually figured out how to put it on :eek: and she's not bothered by it at all. I got it to help with her anxiety/stress over the cat.

Just a few questions for those with thundershirts:

I can't see anything that says how long you can leave it on your dog for. What do you all do?

How long until it 'starts working'? Should I be able to see a difference almost straight away or will it take a bit of time?

It makes her look so skinny! Just goes to show there's not much dog under all that fluff :lol:

[​IMG]

#1 McKenzie, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Premier Pet Care

Premier Pet Care PetForums Newbie

im pretty sure on the packet it says you can leave on the dog for long periods of time and yes agin im sure it will begin to work almost straight away my dog was like he was in a coma for the first half hour lol

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When I started with a thundershirt, the guy on the stall said to get the dog used to it a few minutes at a time. As Ziggy was already used to wearing a stretchy, snug Obtrack coat, I just stuck the thundershirt on when there were fireworks and left it on until bedtime. You should see a difference within minutes.

It should be quite tight. If it's too loose, you won't get the effect.

4. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

She looks tiny bless her!

I put Breeze's on every time we go out for a walk - she's terrified of the gunshots and bird scarers that are everywhere at this time of year - and have left her in it the few times the dogs have been alone in the evenings over "firework season". I think the longest she's worn it would be about 6hrs on New Years Eve, max 5hrs of which the dogs were home alone.
    I agree with Burrowzig, a few minutes at a time (maybe when you feed her so she knows it's a good thing to wear) is a good idea at first.

It sent her to sleep within 5 minutes of her first wearing it! If we're at home she visibly relaxes and is only a little concerned about bangs but I think it's having a more cumulative effect on walks. Our first walk with it was almost as "scary" as a walk without it (someone started shooting a couple of fields away) but she's recently started reacting less to noises that upset her while wearing it.
    The last walk I gave her before coming back to uni was brilliant, she didn't bat an eyelid at a bird scarer nearby and wasn't shaking or pulling like she does when she's frightened.
    (She did jump a mile at a double decker bus but we don't see many where I live so I can overlook that one ;)).

Wouldn't say it's a miracle sure but so far it seems promising, hope it works for Kenzie!

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks all. I've just tightened it a bit and it's pretty much as tight as I can get it now. It doesn't seem to be having any effect yet though :(

6. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Not sure tbh :eek: I guess just eventually :lol: although it was instant with fireworks but she'd been wearing it some time before they went off.

I know the squished look and Maya's got more fur than Kenzie :lol: it makes Maya look like a lion :scared:

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Are they easily put on? just wondering if one would help Mavis

8. SpringerHusky

Once you figure it out yes :lol: but first time you get it out of the box your like wtf how does this go on and then you read the directions and try it :lol:

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It's actually pretty simple, but looks really difficult from the instructions! You just basically wrap it around the body and then pull the chest strap across.

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ok she's calmed down a bit now, maybe it's going to work but she just needs a bit of time to calm down in it, fingers crossed.

It makes Kenzie look like she's got a HUGE butt :lol:

11. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

:lol: :lol:

so theres is non of this put this leg in here and this one in this ?

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Nope :) And it doesn't go over their head either.

13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

cheers,,,might think about one for Mavis ...wondering if it would help her when going to the vets

14. SpringerHusky

[youtube_browser]i6BTH-EMwLk[/youtube_browser]
    :thumbsup: although don't think it goes on that fast, at least with Maya i'm having to tuck and hold fur down :lol:

15. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

have just ordered one from amazon my westie has a touch of fear agression which is getting better i bought it for him to wear on his walks if it works will get one for my friend her dog is scared stiff of fireworks

regards

karen

16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Does my bum look big in this?

[​IMG]

17. jordan14

jordan14 PetForums Newbie

My Brittany has the same anxiety problem. When he is very anxious I put his Thundershirt on and notice the difference almost instantly. I usually leave it on for about an hour, longer if he is real anxious. He doesn't mind putting it on and it has been a blessing for me. Don't have to give hem meds anymore to calm him down. Didn't like the way the meds effected him, so that is a blessing.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice