Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thunder Shirt anyone?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

So we went to petsmart tonight and was getting treats for Sophie when we ran into a trainer thats known Sophie since she was a pup. We got chatting and we said how Sophie can be a bit iffy with being touched and is nervous.

She remmanded one of these

[​IMG]

We attempted to get one on Sophie in an area away from other customers and dogs but Sophie snapped at the trainer. So I ended up putting it on her myself while the trainer watched with my mom from afar.

The trainer said its supposed to help make dogs feel secure and comfortable. After it was on we allowed Sophie to wander and we decided to test it out and have Sophies nails clipped.

We told the groomer that Sophie was iffy etc and you know what

She didnt snap once at the groomer beside trying to turn and have a look.

The trainer said she didnt recommend dominance training but did say you have to make yourself the boss over them and that Sophie has gotten away with alot etc which I found hard to believe. She didnt really listen to what I had to say or gave much thought to my input which was

1. Sophie was taken at 7 and half weeks and I think it would have been better for her to stay and learn from her litter mates but it was a good thing we took her then (wont go into it)

2. Sophie never really got to play with dogs offlead as a pup just on lead and didnt learn doggie manners (its been hard to find her a play mate her size and as in the past weve had big dogs come bounding over and scare her)

3. Sophies ear infection and the fact it was a problem for two months, touching her ears then were painfull and so I think shes thinks hands on her ears will hurt now, tho shes not as bad as before its still an issue.

Im wary but the trainer did give me info for a class so am debating on trying.

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Bump.......................

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Is it this trainer that takes the class?

If so I would not go as you just said she didnt listen to what you were trying to say. If not then I would go an watch before agreeing to join to see what kind of training they use.

A few members on here use thundershirts on their dogs and find them helpful :)

4. Miss.PuddyCat

Yeh she is I believe. She listened but then said Sophie is a spoiled dog and thats why she is acting the way she is and I was like :confused::sosp:

The whole being the boss and dominance thing turned me off too.

Thanks she seems to be enjoying it, shes passed out on the floor right now.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would stick with what you are doing.
    Just because of the way she behaved doesnt mean she is spoiled, some dogs can just be like that. Showing her you are 'boss' could make her worse.

6. Miss.PuddyCat

Yeh I dont think Sophie gets away with much and if its something thats bad we just correct her and show her the better way. I believe in positive training and rewarding good manners.

I know she is a nervous dog and I still thinks its down to the fact we couldnt find her a doggy play mate her size when she was younger that she could learn doggy manners from. She had her friend Oda but he was a gsd and she was the size of his head! She loved him tho :001_wub:

Also next friday shes getting shaved as I think its not helping with me trying to groom her everyday for knots etc dont think is helping the whole hands being on her postive thing. We met a groomer for that awhile ago and she was great around Sophie completely ignored Sophie and let Sophie sniff her. Her two dogs were trained to the tee.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how not having a doggy playmate would make Sophie so nervous around people? Not having a dig; I just find it hard to make the connection and it is people that she is snapping at / biting from your posts.

Could you get some kind of 'no touch, no eye contact' or 'in training' flourescent vest for her to wear whilst out and about and training?

Kilo is wary of strangers and will ignore whenever he can - offlead he just avoids all the hands that shoot out to try and touch him when he is playing with those peoples' dogs. Onlead he will tolerate but very, very much prefers to be able to make peoples' accquaintance slowly and on his own terms. I do ask people not to touch him straight away - let him have a good sniff first, touch his chest rather than go straight for his chops and head (or put their face right down to his :eek:), don't crowd him, don't stare at him. Once Kilo decides a person is OK he will accept all the fuss they can give and more.

If someone ignores me as 'dogs love them' which happens more often than not, Kilo will duck out of their way and go round behind my legs so I take him away before he becomes more uncomfortable as these kind of idiots then reach around behind me to still try and rub his head / chops / under his chin fast and enthusiastically. Tends to be men...women seem to greet much more gently and not go straight in for the 'rough stuff'.

8. Miss.PuddyCat

I meant the play thing in regrades to her nipping and over excited play as the odd time she gets out of control we give her a time out (By holding her collar and making her sit she eventually lays down and is calm) we then let her go. Because we took her at 7 and half weeks she didnt really learn it from her mates and because we never let her offlead around other dogs until last week ( because we couldnt find a mate for her her size as bigger dogs would try and pounce on her) I dont think she learned doggy manners that she would have if we had let her rumble and tumble with other small dogs.

But hopefully since we had two good outings to the dog park, shell be able to be confident and play with other pups. She was soo good, she even started play with a pug, a game of chase and she didnt get spooked (like the first time we went) when a group of ten dogs are so were all around her ( from pug size to great dane and a mastiff)

I have to say most people have been great and we really have only run into two people that didnt listen. Everyone we have met has held out their hand for Sophie to sniff and then they just ignore her and they allow her to sniff them on her own terms. Kids have all been great as well even their parents tell them to ask before petting Sophie. Sophie is good with kids, sniffs their hands, bum wiggle, and just wonders off when shes done. And no kids have chased her or tried grabbing her.

My brothers new Girlfriend is coming over and Sophie has never met her. Im gonna take her for a walk and get BACK before she comes and put Sophies Thunder Shirt on her. We will see how it goes.

Sadly or not the lady that Sophie bit the other week, got a dog I hope she just realizes that dogs are not all teddy bears :(

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

What's wrong with getting a dog at 7 and a half weeks? I thought that was the usual age, 7-8 weeks.

10. Miss.PuddyCat

I heard that for smaller breeds its better for them to stay with there mates longer. Sophie is a cross between a Maltese and Shih Tzu and is 6 to 7 pounds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice