Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thrive dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by tochica, Mar 10, 2017.

1. tochica

tochica PetForums Member

Smokey and Bandit have become extra fussy lately so we've been putting some dry on top of their meals, which does the trick for them. So I decided to order some Thrive dry - chicken to try it out.

So it arrived on Monday. Yesterday I noticed Bandit drinking twice, and today I saw them both drinking at least on two occasions. This is highly unusual as I normally see them drinking maybe twice a week if that. So I tried the biscuits and they do taste pretty salty. I compared them to Smilla dry kitten (only other ones I have around) and they are definitely saltier.

I went on Thrive's website and this is what it says under their FAQ:
    What are the salt amounts in the range?
    [​IMG]
    We don’t add salt or sugars to any of our complete foods. Some of our treats have some salt in them, Shrimps are naturally high in salt and sea fish will have more salt naturally present than in meats, but that’s about it.

And those are the ingredients (posting from Zooplus but I will check them and compare on the bag tomorrow):
    Ingredients
    Dried chicken (64.5%), fresh chicken (16.5%), chicken fat (6%), sweet potatoes, potatoes, chicken gravy (3%), vitamins and minerals, salmon oil.
    Additives
    Nutritional additives:
    Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) (21,635 IU/kg), vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) (1,730 IU/kg) vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate) (82 IU/kg), sodium selenite (0.64mg/kg) -
    ( I know this is a controversial one and I noticed here is a few times higher than the usual brands we use but I have no clue if it would contribute to the salty taste as much) , ferrous sulfate monohydrate (240mg/kg), copper sulphate pentahydrate (19mg/kg), manganese sulfate monohydrate (90mg/kg), zinc sulphate monohydrate (267mg/kg), L-carnitine (480mg/kg), DL-Methionine (1,865mg/kg), taurine (2,385mg/kg).

I was just wondering if anyone has similar observations with cats being thirsty after having those?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice