Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thoughts Re: Ragdoll

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Staysee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

So as you all know we got our Ragdoll JJ last saturday and he's gone from being a spitefull, skittish cat to a loving, relaxed cat.....with us humans.

But, he's still a big bully to our Jenson!

So Jenson is indeed the most laid back cat in the world we find out [could of had princess moo moo after all grrrrr moggybaby :mad: ;) ] and when Jensons asleep, JJ will come along and bite the back of his neck or tail or anything and either pull him off or fight him off and then take his place. He'll also just bite pin, corner him and pounce on him whenever he feels and sometimes jenson squeals, so i know its not just play. Sure Jenson has played a bit with him, but its more the fact that JJ is trying to assert his dominance over a cat who isnt fighting his own corner cos he's too soppy to do so.

Both the elder cats Jack and Jessie have stated thier position wether by paws [jack] or 'the look' [jessie] so he knows to be wary of them, altho he has started playing with Jack a little he cant get the better of Jack or Jack will clout and hiss.

But poor Jenson is really taking the brunt and i dont wanna stress him out, he was here first. We've tried seperating and telling off but he keeps going back, so i thought Feliway, but someone on here has told me its really not worth the money so to post on the forum.

Yes it has only been a week and he had been an only cat for like 8months, so i should give it time, but its upsetting to see Jenson having to run to his safe places to get away.

Someone else suggested starting introductions again, but mum wont have him shut away in the spare room, she thinks its cruel, i dont but theres no persuading me mum n dad, so im at a loss. What else can be done too help these too get along? Jenson i doubt will ever become big boss man, he's too much of a girl hehe but JJ who is pure ragdoll is really NOT behaving like a Ragdoll, is this gonna be a time thing where we just sit it out for 6 months and have to just keep telling him off, or has anybody had a raggie gone bad [apart from the one person i messaged haha] and has advice on what we can do.

He's lovely as pie to us, aslong as we dont push it, so yeah....thoughts? advice? etc etc

2. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

one of my cats found it extremely hard when they had to become indoor cats after the cruel acts made against them from the neighbours. we tried feliway diffusers and sprays but it didn't really do much. i now put a couple of drops of rescue remedy on her one ear every other day (sometimes everyday if things are tough) and she really chills out. without it she searches the house for one particular cat (grace) and whacks hell out of her!! grace is so gentle she will not have a go back. she tried it with the others but they put her in her place so she tends to leave them alone. grace is an easy target for her. without the rescue remedy life with evie - the naughty torti would be unbearable. it may be worth a try with JJ to see how he reacts.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Feliway is worth it - it worked for me!!

When Jumpy and Pixie were not really getting on, I got a plug-in for the living room, and it really helped. The first day I had it plugged in, Jumpy came and plonked himself on my lap!! :001_smile:

Definitely worth a try!!! :)

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I can only say, from my friend's experience with her Ragdolls, that they can be quite territorial and may prefer to be the only cat in the household. So I think you may have quite a battle ahead trying to integrate JJ. Sorry!:(

Keeping JJ apart from Jensen, for at least some periods of the day, is only fair and kind to Jensen. Otherwise Jensen will get very stressed and it could affect his health.

Also Jensen needs some safe places to go in the house where JJ cannot get to him. But don't shut Jensen away on his own, that would not be fair.

I'd try Feliway diffusers, and also a course of Zylkene for Jensen, to help build his confidence.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Feliway DOES work - but you have to give it time. If your cats are the rare ones that don't like Feliway then try Pet remedy/ rescue diffuser instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice