Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thoughts on this behaviour?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by luvmydogs, Jun 20, 2010.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Eve, my English Shepherd, would stop every dog running if she could, I'm sure! When we are out and she meets dog to play with, she'll initiate a run out together, then grab at the dogs legs to stop them! Many dogs have done somersaults or really snapped at her but she just thinks this is a great game! (until I tell her off lol). Even with her own pups, she will play with them but when they run, will stop them, then just stands over them waiting for them to run again! Is she just herding?

2. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

im no expert but i would of thought this was the herding instinct

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

She sounds exactly the same as my mum & dads BC she is always makeing our 2 run so she can chase & nip legs :rolleyes:

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I was told by ES owners it was a need to control everything lol

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Is that not the same as herding then!? Controlling the movement of animals (any kind). Nipping legs/sides is a BC trait. Merlin favours his Belgian ancestry more and tends to push/barge at the shoulder or nip at the neck (also not looked on favourably by other dogs!). And on the two occasions I've sen him do some impromptu (accidental!) cattle herding, he avoids the hind legs (they kick!) and "moves" the animal by barking at its head or shoulder to make it turn. But being Belgian - they herd like GSDs as a 'living fence' - once the steer has turned away he goes on to turn the next one til they are all together at a distance he's happy with. Scary (visions of enraged farmers with shotguns!) but amazing to see.

Though I have also seen him do a circular 'outrun' like a BC, and when out waking with several people and other dogs, does a lot of circular runs around us.

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

She doesn't just nip - she trips, pushes, barges, anything to stop them. She seems very proud of herself when they stop, she doesn't appear to be trying to move them at all. She never does an outrun, and never circles.

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Maybe get her a black shirt & yellow & red cards :lol:

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

:lol::thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice