Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thoughts on docking and cropping

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jenandmax11, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Jenandmax11

Jenandmax11 PetForums Newbie

Hi, so i have a doberman who is so adorable with his floppy ears and tail.. tho all i get asked is why didnt you get his tail of and ears posted .. just wondering whats everyones thoughts on this (i personally am against it)

2. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

Tail docking is another ridiculous 'breed standard' [or at least something people expect to see and is accepted] but it is totally unacceptable IMO - as for cropping if [as I assume] you mean ears that is obscene and should result in a prison sentence + the cropping of the owners ears as punishment.

dorrit, Valanita and Jenandmax11 like this.
  3. Jenandmax11

Couldnt agree more!!

Valanita likes this.
  4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Cropping in the UK for cosmetic reasons is banned. Simple as that and shouldn't be changed.

Valanita and Happy Paws2 like this.
  5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I am presuming that you are not from the UK, as cropping is banned in this country likewise with most of Europe.

Docking is still legal for certain working dogs.

Cropping is a horrible practice as it's purely cosmetic, which I find ironic because I think it looks really ugly. If you want a prick eared breed then buy one, don't put a pet through cosmetic surgery because it doesn't fit your ideals. I find the practice utterly bizarre.

dorrit, VickynHolly, MiffyMoo and 4 others like this.
  6. Jenandmax11

Im from northern ireland and i know its illegal and even if it was legal i wouldnt get it done to max... was just asking peoples opinions on what they think of it

7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Strange that people have been asking you about cropped ears then? I believe it's been banned for over 100 years.

I can only presume that most people with cropped dogs in this country either have them illegally or get them from some obscure country where it's legal. The only conclusion I can come to is that it must be a status symbol thing because they can't be shown, and most cropped breeds are very rarely used in any sort of working capacity any more.

Jenandmax11 likes this.
  8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

If you're happy with your dog as is, and it's illegal to crop/dock in your country anyway, why is this even a question?

9. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I do wonder whenever anyone mentions the 'c' word.....

[​IMG]

Team_Trouble and ouesi like this.
  10. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Maybe they posted pictures on a US dobe site, or fb group and they aren't being asked irl. I first saw pictures of a dobe puppy with his ears being set on an American forum over 20 years ago and thought he'd been in a horrible accident. I had no idea people cut their dogs' ears off. When I was a kid my mother told me there were two types of dobes, English ones with ears and American ones in Disney films which were bred with different ears. I thought the English ones looked much nicer. How innocent we were. :eek:

11. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

There's quite a lot of pictures of dobes with cropped ears on FB. Most American dobes still have their ears cropped, I think.

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Personally I'm with you on this one, there is no good reason whatsoever why dogs need their tails docked and their ears cropped purely for cosmetic reasons alone and because a group of enthusiasts in the breed decides that's how they should look. Both are unnecessary surgical procedures. If dogs were meant to have short stubby tails and smaller cropped like ears and it was beneficial to the dog then nature and evolution would have sorted it out naturally.

Jenandmax11, Team_Trouble and Zaros like this.
  13. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Cropped ears and docked tails on Dobes, I blame Magnum PI.

If you want a dog to look tough, get it a spiked collar.

Then, when folks tell you you're pathetic, at least you can remove the collar and chuck it in the bin.

No harm done, except perhaps, a small dent in your pride.

Team_Trouble likes this.
  14. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't think that ear cropping would be completely irrelevant question even though it's technically illegal in the UK as you could easily have a dog shipped in from the USA or elsewhere.

It's crazy how different it is depending on what you're used to. There's lots of people in the states that really defend their right to have their dog's ears cropped and it is almost a requirements with some breeds for dog shows. I rarely see advocates of ear cropping from outside the states. It's a cultural difference, really. O.O

15. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

As for me personally, I just avoid breeds where ear cropping is the norm. There are risks with all procedures and I'd be really upset with myself if, for example, my dog got an infection and died after I had its ear's cropped. Basically, my dog would have died because of a purely cosmetic procedure. :(

#15 DogLover1981, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Jenandmax11 likes this.
  16. Jenandmax11

17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Ear cropping is illegal in Hungary and tail docking can only be done before a puppy's 7 days old. I have a Miniature Schnauzer (with full tail and floppy ears) a breed which traditionally was cropped and docked and you'll still find some dogs that are but they're ones that have been imported here from other European countries where the practice is still allowed

It all depends where you are showing the dog. In the UK showing dogs with docked tails is permitted under certain circumstances, whilst cropped ears is never acceptable

The FCI regulations are are slightly different
    :
    Dogs with docked tails or cropped ears are to be admitted in accordance with the legal regulations of their home countries and those of the country where the show takes place. The judging of docked and undocked or cropped and uncropped dogs must be done without any discrimination and solely in accordance with the valid breed standard. The organizing country’s regulations concerning showing docked or cropped dogs should be stated in the show schedule or on the entry forms as well as in the show regulations.

18. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I think tail docking should only be performed in circumstances where it will benefit the dog. For example a dog who is going to work could have its tail docked to prevent injuries. Cropping is completely unnecessary as it is purely cosmetic.

19. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Should a dog be put in a position where it needs it's tail amputated to prevent Injury?

20. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I suppose not, but it's just a precaution. A gundog's tail could easily be injured when it is scrambling under things and running through undergrowth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice