Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thoughts of Breeders

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Robin Hoolachan, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Robin Hoolachan

Robin Hoolachan PetForums Newbie

After my parents were left heartbroken from being scammed out of a puppy, I realised that most online pet market places don't offer any real protection or guarantee for buyer or seller. I looked into petfishing stories and found many people found their breeders online on so called "trusted" websites.

I want to create a new online pet marketplace for securely and ethically buying and selling dogs. A platform based on breeder rating and trust, rather than just classified adverts.

A place where buyers are protected from scams, and licensed, professional breeders can proudly show off their healthy, happy animals.

I want to know what you as dog breeders would want from this kind of website and how we can celebrate happy, healthy ethical dog breeding.

Some questions to put you in the right direction . .

What are the hardest parts/challenges of selling your puppies? How do you assess the buyers are right? Do you offer any guarantees to buyers?

I know this is a little long winded but any of your thoughts and opinions I would greatly appreciate to help me build the best platform for dogs as possible!

With gratitude

Robin

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

This already kind of exists in the form of ChampDogs where KC registered breeders can advertise. Unfortunately you can't compete with the monsters that are Gumtree, Preloved and Pets4Homes and unfortunately all three are plagued by puppy farmers, "just one litter" chancers and scams. Ultimately any reputable breeder has a waiting list of people who want puppies before they breed and don't ever need to advertise!

PAAG is always watching though and trying to encourage the freelistings to abide by good practice and monitor/take down dodgy adverts.

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

As soon as i read 'licensed' and/or 'professional' i know thats a breeder i want to avoid.

Generally they are spitting out puppies to make a living.

If people get scammed, then they clearly havent put in the research. If they had done, then they wouldnt even be looking at the freeads.

4. Robin Hoolachan

Robin Hoolachan PetForums Newbie

Hi Nonnie, thanks for the feedback. That interesting that you would suggest to avoid licensed breeders. Where would you say is the best place to find decent breeders? Kennel Club?

5. David C

David C PetForums Senior

I dont think you can automatically write off licenced breeders as all breeders now depending on their council have to be licenced and have to show and state they are licensed because the licence requires this. So you have many breeders who breed to show have to state they are licenced when advertising their pups.

Sarah H likes this.
  6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Champdogs website.

7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Exactly. My boss breeds and shows 2 different breeds, and runs a boarding kennel, so she is licenced for both. She may have one litter from each breed a year, and she has a few bitches so she could have more, but rarely does.
    Is she bad because she's licenced? No, her dogs are her family and they are just as well looked after as any other pet dog. The puppies are brought up at home in the house, and run round their fields as soon as they can. They have a fab enrichment area outside too, and get used to sounds of people coming and going, different dogs barking and the smells, as well as the general hustle and bustle of home life and kennels.

LinznMilly and David C like this.
  8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im not suggesting they should be avoided, only that I would based on my standards and how i view the breeding of dogs.

Professional breeders i think everyone should avoid. Anyone whose income in mainly from the production and sale of puppies, is someone to be avoided.

Everyone has a differing opinion over what a decent and ethical breeder/owner is. Im not a massive fan of dog showing. I dont like people owning so many dogs that they live in kennels. I certainly dont like dogs being kennelled for the vast majority of their day. I dont like the rehoming of ex-breeding dogs. I dont like the over use of crates. I think a dog should be a pet first and foremost.

These are my personal views and would certainly impact who i purchased a puppy off. I would start with the likes of Champdogs and the KC, and via word of mouth. I personally wouldnt want to buy from someone who bred on a regular basis- three litters a year is when someone requires a licence, i personally find this excessive so i would absolutely avoid licenced breeders.

lorilu, Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  9. David C

David C PetForums Senior

@Nonnie . You actually need a licence to sell the puppies with some councils not just to breed the puppies hence why showbreeders who have only had one litter in 12 to 18 months have to be licenced.

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Only if they are classed as running a business.

11. David C

David C PetForums Senior

It depends on the local council. A friend of mine bred a litter at the end of last year. First litter for two years . He contacted the council and was told he had to get a licence to sell them to which he did even though he probably wont breed another litter within the next 12 months from any of his other girls.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That's all very well if you are breeding, or looking for a pup, of a KC recognised show type (where there are working/show varieties) dog. For unrecognised breeds, or crosses, you can't find either buyers or sellers on Champdogs. As I'm into Welsh Sheepdogs (unrecognised) it would be no good for me. I found my last one through an online ad in one of the Welsh farming papers, but that breeder/farmer (who was instrumental in keeping Welsh Sheepdogs going as a breed when they came close to dying out) now has their own facebook page where owners of their dogs can keep in touch and photos of new litters put up.

LinznMilly likes this.
  13. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

You might want to check out Tailwise, it's a new platform for connecting breeders and prospective puppy buyers which aims to make sure both are genuine and committed.

Personally I'm not sure how much of an impact such a service will have in the grand scheme of things. There are too many people buying puppies who simply don't care (or don't care enough) where they come from as long as they get the puppy they want when they want. The information is all out there if people are willing to put in the time and effort to do their research.

Anything that might help the situation even a little is a good thing and should be encouraged but ultimately I think what's needed is a sea change in how society views dogs, their breeding and how they should be acquired.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice