Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thoughts and advice?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DexterBM, Nov 20, 2020.

1. DexterBM

DexterBM PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I am new to this forum but not a new dog owner. I have had dogs/puppies all my life and recently lost my Bullmastiff at the age of 10.

A week ago we got a new puppy, he is very playful and nippy like all puppies. However I have some concerns that he may be showing signs of aggression that is beyond just regular puppy play.

He seems to be very obsessed with nipping one of our 3 children. Today for example we were walking in the hallway and the pup went by me without acknowledging my presence and jumped straight up to nip on my toddlers leg. He then wouldn't let go of his trouser leg I had to literally drag him off.

Also today he was chewing at furniture so I removed him he then snarled and bit my finger. My partner was in the garden with him and he was tugging at her trouser leg so she removed him, he snarled and launched at her and bit her leg, she removed him again and he repeated this.

A few minutes ago my partner was on the floor playing with the pup and his toys and he then turned his attention to the sleeve on her arm, she removed him from that and once again he snarled and tried to bite. That's 4 times he has done that just today. He is 9 weeks old, has loads of toys is literally never alone as both myself and partner work from home.

Aggression or playfulness? Your opinions please. I don't want to risk an aggressive dog around my kids.

2. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

Welcome, What sort of dog is he?

3. DexterBM

DexterBM PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the welcome, he is a Blue Staffy.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I really don’t think it’s aggression at 9 weeks. My boxer was a land shark I couldn’t wear anything floaty as he would attach I remember getting him off my pjs only for him to attach to my coat sleeve this went on. He used to attach to my older dogs neck fluff and hang off him.

At nine weeks he’s playing pups do growl in play. I wore tight clothes for a few weeks and walked out the room when he started. Cold carrots and kongs to chew on.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh look I’ve posted twice sorry.

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Easily fixed. Duplicate post deleted. :D

Boxer123 likes this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Sounds like typical boisterous puppy who hasn't learned that humans are not littermates.

Management is key, as above, wear shoes and trousers you don't mind being nipped (and that are somewhat protective), put things away that you don't want chewed (this is a great time for kids to learn to be tidier).

When he grabs something he shouldn't have, try distraction and/or a positive interruptor noise. For example, puppy eating furniture? I'd use the high pitched "puppy puppy puppy" and redirect him on to an appropriate toy.
    Same with playing, most puppies would much rather bite you than a toy, totally normal, you just have to be persistent and give them the toy, not your arm. Rinse and repeat about 4 thousand times and they eventually get it.

Puppies also tend to get truly awful when they're overtired. If you sense the brain-be-gone overdrive coming on, pop him in his crate with a stuffed kong for his and everyone else's sanity.

LittleMow and LinznMilly like this.
  8. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

Hi I have a 16 week old puppy and a 5 year old dog that was once an awful biter. I can confirm that they do grow out of it. Our pup will snap at hands/feet and hang off clothes sometimes but he's got a lot better in the last couple of weeks. Over tiredness makes them 10 x worse so enforced naps are essential. He will grow out of it but in the mean time distraction with toys and removing them/yourself is probably the best way of handling it.

LittleMow likes this.
  9. Kozmos53

Kozmos53 PetForums Junior

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

As has been said, this is very typical behaviour for a puppy and not something that would worry me. However, I would stop physically removing him when he is biting onto something and instead try distraction, either with a toy, positive interrupter or a treat. Allow him the chance to make the choice to leave your trouser leg alone.

11. Staffymum99

Staffymum99 PetForums Newbie

12. Staffymum99

Staffymum99 PetForums Newbie

My staffy was the same, nightmare pup, thought ankles were chew toys! Once he'd finished teething he was fine. At 9 weeks he really is just a baby, he will grow out of it.

Kozmos53 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice