Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

those with trios/those who have attempted trios.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BattleKat, May 14, 2010.

1. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

I know I'm flooding the place with threads but I really just want to do the best thing by my bunnies so please bear with me!

If you have (or have tried) a trio where two already bonded rabbits are introduced to a third do you find that one bunny gets left out? Has anyone had any experiences where the original pair's bond was broken?

I have two small breed girls and want to introduce a french lop buck but I'm getting increasingly worried that it will all go horribly wrong and I'll end up with three separate rabbits.

I'm thinking that, if the woman selling the frenchies will let me, I'll take my two girls up in the car and pop them in a run with him to see their initial reactions and take whichever buck they seem least against. Only thing is it's about a 40 minute car journey each way and I think this could be quite stressful for them. How much can you tell from initial reactions?

My two spend quite a bit of time away from each other but also lots of time sprawled out in the run together(probably 50/50 together and apart). I notice that my lola asks my rambo for grooming quite a lot and is just ignored, I think that's why she licks me and always asks for head rubs.

My priority lies with the two does I already have but obviously I would love to take on this third one, I just need some advice from people who have been in a similar situation.

2. Hellsbells

Hellsbells PetForums Junior

Hey - no doubt you will get loads of replies but Im going to a rescue centre on Sunday and the lady there bonds up to 5 at a time, she's even managed 2 giants with a tiddler! I'll ask her for some advice while Im up there and let you know her tips - you may have solved by then knowing the guys on here!! :)

3. BattleKat

originally I wanted to get the third from a rescue (the rspca should be taking in a bunch of french lops from the breeder, I reported her!) but they have told me that trios can not work so they won't consider letting me try.:frown:

Would be great if you could ask, they're two small breeds with a french lop (so pretty large!)

4. BattleKat

The lady has agreed to let me spend some time seeing how well the rabbits get on but has said if we take a frenchie home and it doesn't work out she won't be able to take him back (she is a terrible breeder).

I think I'm going to do it. If there are any fights obviously I won't bring either rabbit home but if they seem to get on alright then I'm going to take the risk. Any signs of fighting or a weakening in the bond between my two and I will separate and rehome the lop.
    I'm leaning toward thinking the submissive male she had there could work out alright. I know I could just be being mindlessly optimistic.
    the downside is that they haven't been neutered but I think that could only produce a more negative date rather than a more positive one, right?

would it be alright to do the introductions in the girls run if I take it with me or should I get a totally new one?

5. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I have a trio they dont all spend 24/7 together but all 3 do snuggle up, its taken a while for me to see them doing it though, you may find one does get left out to begin with but there bond develops, i love having a trio :)

They all have to be neutered though.

6. BattleKat

the girls are already spayed and the buck would be neutered at least 4 weeks before they are put in to actually live together.

They aren't neutered at the moment though so I know it can affect the 'dates', but I don't think they would get on before he'd neutered and not afterwards, would they?

7. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I ditto the above, I have a trio and their bond as a trio is gets stronger all the time, there are occassions that one will take themselves off but it is a different one each time. So long as everyone is neutered and the bonding is done correctly I see no problems :thumbup:

8. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I had a trio, which I then made into a 5.
    I had 2 nethies girls and a lop male, all went very well, the girls took over and Rascal just backed down, it went as smooth as anything.
    I would take your run with you, if you can just disinfect the run before you go with some vinegar, then it will get rid of most of the smells.
    Don't worry about little and large, because the larger ones tend to be more docile anyway. My 5 were 2 large NZ's, the lop and the 2 nethies! I've since lost the female NZ. I have just picked up 2 french lop girls, who will go with the other 4 next weekend.

*Heidi*

9. BattleKat

Does anyone know how likely it is my original pair will divorce?
    I'm not 100% sure how close they are, they're far from inseparable but they do like to spend quite a bit of time together

Would I get any indications of this from a bunny date or would it depend long term if one of them bonded strongly with the new buck?

#9 BattleKat, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  10. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I was very tempted by a third but luckily a vet nurse took him instead so i didnt feel so bad. I think they work very well as long as they have enough space to get away from eachother and chill out alone.

11. BattleKat

Just got back from collecting my buck!

I tested the girls with both of them: the black one they both seemed quite interested in but nothing really happened and the agouti they ignored, then chased each other around, and then rambo started humping the life out of the agouti who didn't really seem to care. The agouti was more easily handleable but the black was in a small indoor cage with another frenchie and every time the woman got him out she scruffed him so I think that might get better with time.

I couldn't make my mind up on which one to get so I phoned my boyfriend who went for the black (I knew he would!) and that's who I've come away with.

Not sure whether to name him Eli or Cecil at the moment. Or even buck, since i've got used to the sound of it now.

Rambo doesn't seem particularly interested but as soon as I put them in the same box in the car the buck and lola decided to lie down together (actually she kept switching between lying down with him and going back to rambo when she didn't join them)

I think all in all we've had a good start, I've put their cages next to each other and he seems in seventh heaven being out of that puny cage with nothing in it. Here's hoping for the best!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Awww, what a cutey! Sounds like its going well so far :)

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice