UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I normally hang abot the dog section but wonder if you can help me. Our cat is 5 years old, and has gingervitus (sp) for a few years. The vets are not too concerned with her at the moment but she will need a GA and teeth cleaned in a few years. Im looking at changing her to raw as I have heard this can clear the problem with the bones naturally cleaning her teeth.

Can some of you post a typical menu for a week of what you would feed, how often ect. Kitty weighs about 4.5kg.
Many thanks :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I feed mine about 2% of their body weight in complete raw mince (by complete i mean bone, offal, muscle) so they get 65-70g of raw mince twice a day... I use beef, lamb, chicken and rabbit minces from Darlings Real Dog food - they do cat food now. And they do a trial pack if you're interested. It will def help with teeth probs - you can give raw chicken wings or raw rib bones or chicken necks etc too (all must be raw) to help with teeth and chewing and also use chunks of meat rather than mince to encourage chewing. If you feed dry food - this will be contributing to the bad teeth prob so i'd stop dry altogether if this is the case.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that... the trial pack will prob be a bit smell by the time it reaches me :D i don't think there are any raw food providers on the island, so it would have be what I can buy from the supermarket :)

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Hi, in addition to using pre-pepared minces, such as the one that the Twins was talking about, I also make my own food. The great thing about raw is that you can tailor-make the food to meet the needs of your animal. That is why all of us are feeding our cats slightly differently.

Both my cats weigh 6kg, so need about 165g of raw each a day. I typically feed them that over two meals (actually I feed less but let's take 165g as an example.

I make up food for 10 days - so five daily portions for two cats. That equals 1650. I make up different food containing different flavours - chicken, lamb, beef, venison, rabbit etc. Cats need a variety of food, so my freezer is full of different tubs/bags of made up food.

A rabbit recipe would include rabbit, lamb (because rabbit is really a lean meat and cats need fat), stomach or lamb sweetbreads, kidney, lung, lamb heart, lamb liver (a good source of Vit A) and sometimes a bit of salmon (a good source of Vit D3). If i don't feed bones then I use eggshells when making up their food.

They get quail or chicken wings or lamb ribs twice a week.

Does this help?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
oooh homemade diets!

OK

very very basic rules!

10% bone
10% organ meat (made up of 5% liver 5% other organs such as kidney lung etc)
80% meat (made up of 10-20% heart, 70-60% other meat cuts)

heart is NOT classed as an organ meat when we are talking about feline nutrition.

feeding proportions are approx 1-3% of daily body weight (depending on cats activity, metabolism and reproductive state).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
A commercial food that is good for gingavitis is Butchers Classic for cats. It is available at Waitrose, Sainsbury, some Asda and some Wilkinsons.

It has no additives like sugar, veg etc.

It costs about £5.00 for 12 tins 400 gm

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I will have a look at the different meats a part I can get, and what variety we could give her.

Janee I wish I could go to one of those supermarkets, but it's a bit of a long way, as I am in the Canaries. She is on Whiskers and Felix as it is the best we can get her, in the commertial brands. :)

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Yup, have a look what you can get from a butchers - anything goes really APART from raw pork (susceptible to a Aujeszky virus in Europe). Just make sure that they have a variety of meat and heart, not too much offal, and enough bones (otherwise you need to use eggshells).

Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, have a look what you can get from a butchers - anything goes really APART from raw pork (susceptible to a Aujeszky virus in Europe). Just make sure that they have a variety of meat and heart, not too much offal, and enough bones (otherwise you need to use eggshells).

Thanks for that, typically the offal is the easy bit, (and the bit I know in spanish) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
658 Posts

When you say Europe are you including the UK?

·
Registered
10,685 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having thought about it, without going to the shops I know I can get Chicken Necks, Pigs Liver, chickens Liver, chicken, Pork or most parts inc trotters, kidney, raw ears, and ribs. Beef. We can get rabbit but not sure how expensive it is. Turkey (cheaper). I can get various bones although finding out what animal they are from is a guessing game . Fish is easy to get but I would cook that!
Does this sound like a possible ok raw diet... anything you would leave off. I am off to reasearch the pork virus, unfortunatly the spanish shelves are full of pork.

Lamb is a bit of a no go as it is very expensive, even we don't get that!

·
Registered
658 Posts
You are right - UK is a virus free country :thumbup:

Defra, UK - Disease surveillance and control - Notifiable diseases - Aujeszky's

So, pork should be fine fed raw as long as you make sure it is from UK animals.

Info about the state of play across Europe, where it is endemic according to DEFRA, can be found here: Defra, UK - Disease surveillance and control - Notifiable diseases - Aujeszky's
Phew! Cos my 2 get Pork quite often. I had no idea it should be avoided so glad to hear it's ok if from UK sources.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.