Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Those that feed raw.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sue&harvey, Jun 1, 2010.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I have been doing some reading into raw, possibly thinking of changing Harvey and our cat, although this is still thinking stages.

I know people say 80% meat, 10% bones and 10% Organs.... but this is still a bit confusing for me.

Could those of you who feed raw possibly put up a typical weeks menu that you feed your dogs. May make it a bit clearer and I can look at costings.

Thanks in advance
    :)

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

For adult Labs:

Monday
    Breakfast - 1lb green tripe, 40g blended veggies
    Tea - 300-400g chicken carcasses & 125g tinned sardines

Tuesday
    Tea - 300-400g chicken carcasses

Wednesday
    Breakfast - 250-400g chicken carcasses, 40g blended veggies
    Tea - 250g liver cooked in goats milk, 150g chicken carcasses

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
    Breakfast - 250-400g chicken carcasses, 40g blended veggies
    Tea - 250g beef/lambs heart

Sunday

Where ever I use chicken carcasses, I interchange with lamb bones as well. I also give other food such as a raw egg, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt, and left overs. The blended veggie mix also contains nuts, garlic, turmeric, mint, fenugreek, oil, apple cider vinegar, kelp.

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I have just switched to raw. I feed the boys DAF minces. They have bone in as everything is just thrown in the mincer. I chose these because i couldn't stomach the thought of cutting up various animal parts.

I add tripe and a small amount of liver a few times a week and give them raw meaty bones a few times a week too.

They seem to be doing very well indeed.

Cats are different so you're posting in that cat forum for advice about that. My cats wony bloomin touch raw sadly.

4. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Thanks for those... my problem wolld be what ever I feed will have to come from a very basic butcher or the supermarket. There are no raw food suppliers here. :)

5. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

There are none here either, DAF do deliver, as do a number or other suppliers. But I'm sure you could use the butcher or market and put a diet together yourself, I'm just a squeamish vegetarian lol.

One of my favourite things about feeding raw is if you're left short for some reason, there's no need to rush off to every pet shop to see if they stock a half decent kibble, you can just pop the butchers :) (Irrelevant I know, but I just had to say it lol)

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I dont really have a set plan as I change it depending on what is readily available, what I can get on offer etc etc, but basically it consists of:

2-3% of body weight per day. so maggie is still young and pretty active, so I was feeding 3% but have just started to lower this a little and will probably do around 2.5% going forwards.

This is roughly made up of 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% live and 5% other offal (such as spleen and kidney). FYI heart and tripe count as meat for the % purposes.

I feed her allowance split into two meals a day and I feed everything as whole chunks, nothing processed and I dont buy any of the commercial minces. I would consider possibly Darlings or Natural Instinct veg-free recipes due to the quality of their ingredients for a couple of meals, but on the whole I want to stick with whole foods as close to a prey model as pos.

Some examples of an average meal:
    - 230g chunk of pork, lamb or beef in one big lump cut off a big joint
    - chicken or duck thigh and leg quarter OR wing and breast quarter (with or without skin removed depending on how her tum is, as the fat from the skin etc can sometimes upset her if she has offal at the same meal, esp with the duck as it is very fatty)
    - rabbit quarter
    - a slab of 3 or so pork ribs off a rack (I never feed single ones because of risk of choking)
    - a pig, lamb or cow heart weighing approx 200g
    - oily fish on its own or sometimes with something else with bone in as fish can sometimes upset mags tum
    - a whole raw egg (shell and all) thrown in with any of the above a couple of times a week
    - a very small piece of liver and kidney at every meal (I always get free-range as these organs are meant for removing waste)

Some weeks she might get pork every morning and chicken every night, some weeks she might get a real mix etc - it really doesnt matter as long as it agrees with your dogs stomach tolerance and you feed a varied diet over time.

Hope that helps, I have loads more info if you need it and some great info in the links in my signature below and here:

Switching to a Raw Diet

Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw

PS: I get everything from supermarkets, my local free-range butcher and local farmers markets - try the fresh counter at supermarkets and butchers/markets at the end of the day and buy in bulk and you can save yourself LOADS!

And the best thing I did was to invest in a separate freezer for it as I feed my dog and 2 cats - plus with new pup next year I am getting a bigger freezer for it all. however, to start you dont need to do this and I started it all off for a couple of months just picking up stuff every few days and keeping it in one drawer of my own freezer :)

#6 katiefranke, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  7. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Just to jump in with the raw egg I've seen mentioned...I've heard varying things about them being good or bad for the dog. The white on its own due to the avidin prevents biotin absorption which is why a whole egg needs to be given as the biotin in the yolk is enough for the avidin to prevent causing a deficiency in the dog's body which raw whites can do if given alone. Others mention salmonella too, do you guys worry about that? I wouldn't give shop eggs to Roo ever so I guess the risk is less in terms of that slightly.

Is this a myth or something, I hear it time and time again and this is why I don't give raw eggs, just thought its worth me asking as you guys have mentioned feeding them and can help me out :thumbup:

If I had freezer space I would definitely consider raw :(

8. katiefranke

yes you are right about feeding the egg whites alone over a period of time - but in reality, I doubt anyone is just going to feed their dogs raw egg white...so as long as you just feed the entire raw egg it really isnt a problem.

Salmonella no I dont worry about. I dont think that the source I get my eggs from contain salmonella, but just in case, the bacteria and acid in a raw-fed dogs saliva & stomach are made to kill this kind of bacteria outright anyway :thumbup:

I always give maggie free-range eggs, but I do buy them from supermarket sometimes.

Raw is the way to go for sure!!! :D I had the same issue with the freezer, space but started for the first couple of months using a drawer in my own freezer and also buying fresh every few days. Then I moved on to getting hold of a second hand under-counter one just for the dog and cats food. Now I am thinking about buying a big one and keeping it i the garage so I can buy in bigger bulk.

Havent you got anywhere you could put a cheap second-hand freezer? Utility, under-stairs, shed, garage?

#8 katiefranke, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  9. GoldenShadow

Nope :nonod: problem with mother dearest is that she will be doing most of the Rupert looking after if I go to uni and as she is a veggie she would do it but wouldn't like it. Don't think Rupert would quite be her favourite friend she'd imagine he smelt of raw meat all the time :rolleyes:

Our butchers are pants around here. We have one in the local town and they are only open for about 2 hours each day. Supermarkets wont give you anything and so its 45min away to the nearest butcher who you can get stuff from that we've found (in Boston). Its not easy but I think that's part of being in Lincolnshire, nothing ever is..!!

We have our own chickens so when Roo used to have raw eggs he got one of those. Its really funny but since having our own I don't think I could bring myself to give him shop ones. They are so different I wonder what they do to the shop ones to make them how they are :eek: :lol:

10. katiefranke

You are so lucky to have your own chickens!!!

I dont buy 'dog' stuff from supermarkets or butchers etc, i never tell them it is for the dog (although my butchers guessed cos of the quantity of heart/tripe and stuff I was buying!! lol).

I find if you tell them they either wont give you anything or they start telling you what is best to feed, which is usually the exact opposite!!

I dont get anything free but my butchers do us special deals as I am a frequent visitor!

Yeah I see about your mum, bit difficult if she is veggie and it isnt her dog! although I do know vegetarians who are quite strict vegetarians in fact that prepare everything and such-like for their cats and dogs! must be very dedicated!

The other option would be that if you really wanted to get him on raw (and I will be shot here by the die hard prey model feeders) is to buy the pre-prepared commercial stuff - but I would be REALLY choosy about where it comes from. I have been investigating Darlings and Natural Instinct veg-free ranges for some time and they do seem excellent quality and sources.

They just come in big pouches and your mum could just get one out the freezer, defrost and squeeze out the amount and do this for most of his meals and then just give him some chews and raw meaty bones every few meals to keep his teeth nice. It doesnt really smell or anything as it is so fresh and so it is actually less smelly than normal dog food!

Then when you are back from uni you could start sorting it all out yourself and it would be a pretty easy transition onto whole raw food! :thumbup:

11. GoldenShadow

I don't tell them its for the dog, the supermarkets never have anything in except the premium stuff they sell at high prices around here :( The butchers in town is as I said barely ever open and they always have so much more pork/beef and Roo doesn't do too well with those types of things.

Mum is good she'll still cook meat and she'll happily handle it I just don't know how she'd be about Roo eating it fulltime and doubt we will have any space for a new freezer once we do move.

I've thought about buying raw from a company but just a bit concerned on how it'd be stored before I got it. Re the chickens we wont have them when we move :( I will miss them though!

12. katiefranke

oh no thats a bummer about the chickens! you're moving down south aren't you? sorry cant remember where you said - but I know people that keep chickens in the city (london) and they seem very happy and healthy!

well storage is something I was looking at with the two brands I mentioned - I dont like any of the other pre-prepared stuff, but with Nat Instinct their factory is 5 mins up the road from me! and I can literally go up there and pick it up straight out the factory if I like or they will deliver and they pack it in special containers which can keep it chilled for 48 hours or so.

or Darlings has something like a 48hr turnaround from ingredients being killed to delivery or something! will check exact details as cant remember off top of my head. but i remember being impressed.

but then you have all the frozen ones you can get in pets at home etc that i am dubious about the quality/sources and processing/storage as i have heard a lot of bad things about them.

13. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Wow thanks for all that, I will have a look to see what we would be able to get off the list of things that you have given. tbh it depends a lot on the cost as meat is quiet expensive over here but I will have a good look around. Thanks again :)

14. harrison79

harrison79 PetForums Member

Hi

i have been reading all the raw posts as my dog is sooooo fussy and goes off any food i buy him after a couple of days.

I have just place an order with Natural Instincts, as we don't have a local butcher only the supermarket.

Our dog is a labXspaniel, pure lab look however on the small side. I note on their website they say he should be getting about 500g a day and they supply in 1kg pouches. They do 10 pouches for £40. I find that quite expensive?

I currently feed him high end kibble so am used to high prices for his food, but this way of feeding raw seems quite expensive. I am not sure i can sustain it.

But if he likes it then i might see if i can get a butcher so i can stock up.

Anyone else think this sounds expensive? Can anyone recommend any other pre-packed raw diets i can order online?

thanks

15. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Price was why I chose not to go with natural instinct. Have a look at DAF (Durham animal feeds) That's what I feed my two. 20 1lb bags of chicken mince is £8.80, lamb is the same price. They also do a load of other types. Minimum order is £30 though.

It might not be organic like natural instinct but I spoke to the bloke who runs it and a lot of other customers before going with them and feel assured it is good, high quality meat.

16. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Having thought about it, without going to the shops I know I can get Chicken Necks, Pigs Liver, chickens Liver, chicken, Pork or most parts inc trotters, kidney, raw ears, and ribs. Beef. We can get rabbit but not sure how expensive it is. Turkey (cheaper). I can get various bones although finding out what animal they are from is a guessing game :D. Fish is easy to get but I would cook that!
    Does this sound like a possible ok raw diet... anything you would leave off. I asked the same thing on the cat section and someone said that raw pork issusceptible to a Aujeszky virus in Europe. Should I leave this out (now off to reasearch this)
    ETA Lamb is really expensive here so not really possible.
    Thanks all

#16 sue&harvey, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  17. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

18. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Aahh thanks for that, guess Pork is a no no then! Typical...:rolleyes: I will have a look and see if I can find out anymore locally

19. katiefranke

yes I do think it is expensive, however, you have to weigh up the source.

personally I dont really agree with feeding ground up commerical preparations anyway, but if i did, i would be very choosy on where they come from.

Natural Instinct and Darlings have brilliant sources of meat and appear to have strict standards on the processing and distribution of the food.

Darlings do a full organic range and both do a free-range, farm-assuered version too. These are the only companies I would personally consider buying from - and I have looked into a fair few to do with their meat sources and packing/distribution standards etc.

For anyone interested - a good article on why you should try and avoid the commerical preparations in general though: Myths About Raw: Are ground raw diets an acceptable alternative to RMBs?

20. katiefranke

Oh yes, didnt see you were outside the UK!

Did a bit of digging on the pork thing a while ago myself and as hobbs2004 said the UK is thankfully virus-free, but no such luck with other areas in EU.

While we are discussing things like this - also be careful of salmon - it can contain a parasite if it is north pacific salmon and also apparently pretty much all farmed salmon. i avoid giving salmon to my lot as I can get hold of other oily fish much easier and cheaper anyway.

If you are looking to feed wild game, you need to freeze for about 3 weeks to kill any parasites. (not the same as bacteria as freezing does not kill this, but dogs digestive systems are made to cope with it)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice