Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Those that feed raw - typical menu

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by McSquirtle, Nov 19, 2012.

1. McSquirtle

McSquirtle PetForums Senior

Hi,
    Could some members who feed a raw diet to their cats please post a typical couple of days of what their cat gets? I'm particularly interested in those that do not use the minces but would love to see the variety/amount that all raw feeders provide?
    I attempted to transition my three onto raw in the summer. I bought a load of the minces (that are still sat in my shed freezer!) but only the tabby boy was keen - although they did all have a good play around with some chicken necks and wings. Now we don't have the tabby anymore :( But I do still have a lot of minces I could use for the other two. I gave up too quick last time but would love to make another go at it. Its the texture of the minces that I think they're not keen on which is why I'm interested to see what you other raw feeders feed on a daily basis.
    Any help will be much appreciated :)

2. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

I prepare Simba and Leila's food in 300g boxes, which feeds them for 2 days each (50g for each meal, 3 times a day). When we make up the boxes, we have a choice of:
    Quail
    Poussin
    Rabbit
    Turkey
    Chicken
    Pork
    Occasionally lamb if it's on offer and not too fatty. It's really pricey and hard to find in this part of Italy...

This takes care of the meat / bone bit. I also add turkey or chicken hearts for extra taurine. If I'm lucky, the quails also have their hearts still in them :)

For the offal bit, I get rabbit and chicken liver, the rabbit I get also still has its kidneys in it ;-)
    Pig kidney

Each box has:
    255g meat and bone or just meat
    15g heart
    15g liver
    15g kidney

We (OH and I) chop the meat into chunks and that's it! We prepare a month at a time. A long job, but it's nice when it's done! (The food for them, the feeling for us :D)

P.S. Simba's 2 and weighs just a bit over 4kg, I reckon. Leila's 6 and a half months and weighs 3.2kg as of a couple of days ago.

#2 Misi, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

This is more or less what it all looks like:

Food for Sim.jpg

4. McSquirtle

That's fab! Thank you so much. Do you hav to supplement with anything else? Do you purchase everything monthly too? Is it expensive? (Tell me to stop being nosy if you don't want to divulge)

5. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

I don't really supplement with anything else because I think their diet is pretty complete like this. Others do supplement with extra taurine, fish body oil and some vitamins. I do get this stuff for Simba: Grau Stomach/Intestine Herb Paste at zooplus and they have the odd saucer of natural, plain, probiotic yoghurt, but I don't consider them essentials. They don't like fish body oil, so I might get them some sardines or similar for the omega 3. That's a worthwhile supplement.
    I try and get their food in one go and prepare it for the month. It usually works out about €65 (£52).

Nose away :D

6. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Mine get mixed feed.

I make up the background, which is 20% chicken carcass (which is 10% bone, 10% meat), 5% liver (either lamb or chicken), 5% lamb kidney, 10% heart (again either chicken or lamb)..... The remaining 60% is a variety of different meats to give them variety... Lamb, pork, chicken, duck, turkey, rabbit, venison etc etc

The only thing I add now is extra taurine.... In fairness they probably get enough from the heart, but better safe than sorry ;)

7. McSquirtle

Is it difficult working out the % of it all? I spend that (perhaps a little more) on food monthly now so that's good to know. Where do you source it from? I don't really have a butcher... So you buy in bulk fresh, then separate and freeze. Just defrosting when you need it?

8. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

My meat / bone ratio is very much guesswork, but where I can feed bone-in I do, so poussin, quail, rabbit and chicken wings all have bone that's soft enough for them to eat. Then I feed a variety of meta without any edible bone like turkey, pork, chicken thighs (they tend to just strip the bone and leave it), or lamb ribs, but even those they can eat a bit of the bone :eek:

As for the offal ratio, that's a bit more straight forward. I feed 90% meat and bone (with heart included in that) and the remaining 10% is offal. So out of 300g, 30g will be divided between liver and kidney. I tend to add heart at around 15g, too. That's how it's worked out. So hubby chops, I weigh and pack :). Then the 30 boxes all go in the freezer and I get one out each at a time to defrost. That's what I do. I get most of my meat from the supermarket, or I occasionally get the rabbit from the market because they'll chop it up for me and it's nice to chat to them. The kidney I have to order from the butcher, but I suspect it might be easier to come by in the UK.

9. Space Chick

I just do the maths, not too hard.... I know that 2 chicken carcasses are roughly 800g, so 400g bone, 400g meat... so I ask my farmers for 200g kidney, 200g liver and 400g heart. I do weigh everything though.... I'm quite sad really as I have always enjoyed molecular gastronomy, so quite enjoy precise weighing!!! I have some scientific scales with human recipes that need 1.7g of this 3.4g of that etc etc. For my cat food though I just use a decent electronic scale ;)

I am lucky in that I have a really great farmers market near me monthly and over the years I have got to know the farmers pretty well, so I just email them in advance.

I make in bulk and freeze in 130-150g bags, so enough for a meal each for my 2.

I then just take out a bag a day (they also get a 200g tin a day too)

10. labydird

labydird PetForums Member

Mine are not yet eating bone whole, so I chop up neck or ribs (chicken) pieces with their normal meat mix. I chop up smaller like maybe 3cm cubes (lol) as any bigger and they will get fed up and walk away! Its a gradual process, before they wouldnt even take anything so its building up to the bigger whole pieces.

I also add some eggshell now (recoemmnded by someone on here) for added calcium and when I defrost, I add a bit of water so basically a bit of blood gravy as its defrosting :p

Hearts, kidneys, liver, gizzards, nearly all offal is available on my high street as its all mainly halal butchers who sell everything and every part!

I still feed a small portion of wet alongside the raw.

11. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

Last couple of days has been roughly:

10-15g chicken carcass, 6g pig liver, 6g rabbit kidney, 10g pig or ox lung, 30g lamb heart, 30g pork, 30g chicken gizzard, a day old chick (approx 40g)

I'm tending to keep this format at the moment, heart I alternate between lamb, ox, pig and chicken

boneless meats I alternate with beef trim, chicken, turkey.

I use chicken carcass mostly for bone but change it for chicken neck or rabbit. I have one that has pork bones or pigeon carcass for bone as she doesn't do well on chicken.

I also feed whole quail (in feather) they either get a whole one each or I quarter it and give the rest as boneless meat.

I give a salmon oil capsule ever now and then.

12. McSquirtle

Thank you so much for all the info guys :) Lots to think about and plan.

13. maui

maui PetForums Junior

Im currently feeding my two kittens with natural instinct minces and giving them chicken wing bits. they love it all. but it is quite expensive and also it is not chunks, so i want to try other suppliers and make my own mix.
    if you get meat and offal frozen (from raw to go or any other supplier), do you thaw everything in the fridge and then cut everything into pieces according to the correct ratio and bag it?
    is it alright to thaw the frozen meat and offal and then put it back in the freezer?
    do you cut the chunks or do you grind?
    what do you do about calcium? using eggshell, grinding bones, giving them whole? if giving them whole, how do you know what proportion of bone does it contain?
    sorry for lots of questions

14. labydird

labydird PetForums Member

my butcher has everything fresh so I just bring it home, chop it up and freeze. the eggshell, just a used eggshell, remove inner membrane and crush with pestle and mortar very fine then add to their meal.

15. Space Chick

You can refreeze red meat no problem.

I grind the bones and offal and chunk the muscle meat. The ground bones give enough Calcium.

16. cookiemom

I buy some stuff fresh and some frozen but always in bulk. With anything frozen I defrost at room temperature but only so it is just starting to defrost, a lot of meat and especially organs are much easier to cut while partially frozen and paring off the hard fat on ox or lamb heart is much easier whilst frozen, stuff like chicken hearts or gizzards you can just break them off the block and bag up. Other meats I cut up into mouse size pieces about the size and shape of your thumb.

With bagging people do it in the way that suits their situation, I have multi cats so just put single meats in seperate bags and bag up bone in meats and organs into what I know I will need for a day, I put a big paper label so I know what is in each carrier bag and then just take out as many of meat, bone in meat, and organs each day as needed, I weigh up at point of serve and note what each cat eats, other people portion and bag up by whole meals, or you could bag up bone in bits and organs together and meatless seperate.

You can get bone % for many meats using the USDA nutrition database:

NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page

Click on 'full report' at the top of the meat you've searched for to get the bone content listed as refuse. For example chicken necks:

Show Foods

Chicken necks are great to use for bone, they are easy to cut up so they can be fed in proportion per meal, good kitchen scissors, poultry shears or a sharp knife can be used to portion, they can be cut across the neck to give 'coins' or along the neck or for cats who are prone to inhale their food give them whole and adjust the next meal(s) to boneless.

Necks are also very easy to mash up with a hammer or other bashing implement which is useful for very young kittens, toothless cats and transitioning cats who do not yet have the jaw strength crunch, necks also contain ligaments and spinal cord. You can get them in some butchers shops and online can be had from many raw food suppliers and online butchers. Kiezebrink is a useful supplier as they carry whole prey items, day old chicks, mice etc as well as other items you might not be able to get.

If you work out things for 100g grams (the guide is 10% but I vary between mouse and rabbit bone %) then:

Skin on necks around 36% bone: Use 13-27g necks to give 4.68-9.72% bone per 100g of food

Skinless necks around 59% bone: Use 8-15g necks to give 4.72- 9.44% bone per 100g food

If you are happy to keep using wing tips then just weigh those up and factor in for the meal, if they progress to eating whole wings you can use the database to work out how much wing to have per meal or how many time to feed per week.

17. maui

maui PetForums Junior

thanks a lot. what a great advice and great link for info!!!

18. cookiemom

A couple of other tips:

A pair of gloves is good to wear if handling lots of frozenish meat or moving stuff about in the freezer, I like the the ones that are rubberised on the finger side and cloth on the back, any diy type shop should carry them even light garden glove, they stop the frost bite and you can wash them when they get really yucky.

A good knife that feels comfortable in your hand along with a sharpener, keep the knife sharp, saves a lot of effort.

And a little digital scale, pretty much any supermarket should have them for about £10.

Feed as much different types of proteins and body parts as you can get / afford before the kittens get food imprinted, it makes life easier once they get older!

19. maui

maui PetForums Junior

just a quick question: what (if anything) do you use to hygienically clean utensils, chopping board and bowls after it was used to prepare raw food?

20. cookiemom

If you feed meat that is fit for human consumption then normal hygiene should apply, I believe it is recommended to keep a different board for raw meats in a kitchen but personally as I don't eat meat I keep seperate everything: knives, scissors, scale, plates, freezer bags, wash cloths just for their meat.

I just wipe over with hot water, or a little squirt of washing up liquid for the freezer bags. If I really need to, I use a solution of ecover laundry bleach granules (its a hydrogen peroxide and soda mix) make a little in a squirty bottle, let it soak on for a bit and then wipe off with hot water. Dluted vinegar is also good anti bac.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice