Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Those off-lead nuisance dogs....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Burrowzig, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

We've all come across them, the ones that come over uninvited and bounce about or harrass you and your dogs - it struck me yesterday after I had words with the owner of one such - that all the ones I've encountered were being walked by people who don't interact with their dogs on walks.

After this bloke called me 'miserable' because I objected to his dog harrassing mine, and said 'it's what dogs do', I pointed out that my dogs don't. And it's not because I don't let them, but because they know that all the fun, games and excitement on walks come from me (and the odd squirrel).

He was just walking along, his dog some distance in front, and probably very bored.

2. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

This isnt strictly true

I play and interact with my three dogs on their walks
    Gypsy and Teddy will ignore other people and dogs and carry on playing with me if anyone comes on the field , but Toffee , well , if he spots someone in the distance he would be off to say hello (he believes everyone is his friend)

Ive tried everything with him to no avail
    on our own and with Gypsy and Teddy his recall is 100% ... add a stranger or a strange dog in the mix and I may as well not exist

This is why he is still on a longline and the other two arent , I hate 'rude' dogs myself and do not want to be the owner of one

3. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I'd certainly agree this accounts for some. Earlier this week I witnessed someone walking their golden retriever or should I say marching swiftly ahead of their GR, head down on a mission, just assumming he was following and he was until he spotted us coming down a path that crossed the one they were on and came charging up our path to say hello completely unknown to his owner.

In the doggie's defence as he got close he slowed lowered his head and waited for Tink to initiated the requisite mutual sniffing. They even played for a few minutes before the owner even noticed his dog was no longer on the path behind him. ( i honestly felt like taking him home with me he was such a sweetie, but managed to resist just)

4. Spud the Bull Terrier

Spud the Bull Terrier PetForums Senior

It certainly does account for some dogs. though other dogs are more independent and aren’t that interested in interacting with their owners.

If I let Spudley off the lead (which I don't) he would interact with me for a few minutes and then get board and wonder off to see what mischief he can get up to.

On Friday morning, we had an encounter with an off lead dog. I was walking Spudley on the lead across my local playing field, when a guy walking a spaniel (I think an American Cocker) came striding past, with the dog trailing behind. The owner was completely oblivious about what his dog was doing . Now Spudley is far from aggressive but he does not like strange dogs jumping on him. This Spaniel was very friendly and just wanted to say hello but Spud wasn’t to happy. So I got hold of Spuds collar and waited for the dog to either go away or for the owner to realise his dog was annoying Spudley. I very small wicked part of me was tempted to let Spud loose, but that would be punishing the dog not the owner.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My two love other dogs, when they are off lead, I dont let them approach on lead dogs, or go too far away from me, but I dont mind dogs approaching my two and havent had any bad situations because of this. However there is one dog whos owner annoys the hell out of me, he drops his dog off at the start of the fields, stays in his van and drives along while the dog walks off and eventually meets him at the other end of the woods. It has followed my two on many a walk and approaches every dog it meets, its body language is very confrontational so I just pray it doesnt meet a DA dog one day, Ive had several people yell at me to get my dog under control before, as it seems to be following me and they too are flabbergasted when I point out its real owner in the distance, still in his van. I know the owner thinks his dog is just having a little adventure and meeting other dogs but I do wish he took a look at the effect its having on other people and their dogs.

6. Sashadog

Sashadog PetForums Member

My sash does that :eek:
    Around here, though, the only dogs who run over (apart from sash) are either tiny puppies or have come over to attack your dog. :(
    Sasha was on lead when a vicious staff (another chav owner giving a wonderful breed a bad name :mad: ) came over and attacked her - she is now lead aggressive because she thinks any dog coming over to her while she is on will attack her again. :(

7. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

What I'm about to say will probably be quite controversial but I actually don't mind it when other dogs come over to hello. Obviously I would if it was a DA dog but luckily owners are pretty responsible round here, i.e. if it's off lead, it's ok. Buster sometimes grumbles a bit if a big bouncy dog comes over but if I tell him no he'll relax. What gets me is when a friendly dog wants to have a play and the owner won't let him/her.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I don't mind them just coming to say hello and leave again, as long as they don't harrass my dogs, try to hump them, repeatedly get in their faces or (like the one yesterday) get in the way of nice games we have going, or try to pinch the ball.

9. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I love it when other dogs come to play. Mine had a five mad minutes with 3 beautiful Vizlas, then a family of 4 GR's and then a lovely little Cocker spaniel puppy out for it first proper walk in the woods not a grumble between them. But when we met the GSD on lead mine were put on theirs too and a polite good morning between the humans was all that was exchanged

#9 northnsouth, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  10. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Call me old fashioned .. when I meet a dog(s) I like to meet or at least see the human responsible for them too!

11. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

I get annoyed because some dogs Rocky just doesn't like, or he gets fed up if they hassle him for more than a minute and then he tells them off by growling at them. He is minding his own business (off lead) and never goes far from us and doesn't approach other dogs and it upsets me that he's having to be grumpy because owner's don't keep control of their dogs.

What really annoys me is they keep calling the dog or saying "leave him alone now" instead of just taking the dog away and if necessary putting them on a lead.

12. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

There's no escape wherever you go :nonod:

Today we had chester off the lead..playing fetch ...got to the lonning, another off-lead dog was approaching..so i put Chester on lead...next thing the other dog is pestering hell out of him..he was on the lead so could not go anywhere..so in the end up he gave a half hearted snap , telling it to bugger off :eek: i may as well have left him off the lead :rolleyes:: the lady was telling her dog to come...but it wasn't having any of it !!!! Grrrrrrrr

13. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Generally I think its great when people can train their dogs to walk off-lead. But many people only go halfway and think this training stops at recall - well it doesn't!

The people who train their dogs to be under their control whilst off-lead I think are marvellous and I envy them :) Unfortunately I haven't met many of these in person.

The people who walk their dogs offlead but don't have them under control, or don't think they should have to ask permission for their dog to greet yours are a nightmare! Unfortunately I meet these all the time.

It's not just unfriendly dogs that are the problem, it's the "I want to play" bouncing from the friendly ones thats also not fair to either dog when an off-lead dog comes up to an on-lead dog.

14. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Definitely see where you're coming from! It bothers me when I see people who may as well be surgically attached to their phone when out with their dogs, or just walking along like they don't want to be associated with them at all!

Scooter is a real sod for interacting on walks. He doesn't want to play unless it's chasing Breeze in the few places I can let him off, doesn't care for toys and if he's really into a sniff he turns down treats and is deaf to the world! Can normally get a couple of training and reward sessions in on each walk but for the most part he couldn't care less. I must look like the most apathetic owner in the world when I'm out with just him :rolleyes:

Breeze on the other hand enjoys a game of fetch, loves a bit of training and has 99% reliable recall. Same breed, same owner, completely different!

15. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Some dogs don't need interaction, though. Florence, for one, doesn't need any encouragement from me to enjoy herself on her walks, but having said that, we tend to walk in the open countryside where we are unlikely to bump into anyone.

I do see where you're coming from though, although I don't generally mind dogs approaching us, I don't want dogs inviting themselves along on our walk which, in my experience, tends to happen when the owner is miles ahead talking on their mobile. It's fairly annoying having to hang around while an owner comes to retrieve their dog ten minutes after realising it's missing :rolleyes:

It always upsets me seeing an elderly dog shuffling along, desperately trying to keep up with it's owner who is route marching ahead... these dogs definitely need interaction.

16. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

That is what I enjoy too the chat, the comparing antidotes and a cheery Good day...
    Some times;)

17. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

One of the things that always make me wonder is the people who walk their dogs while wearing earphones....

I want to be in touch with my dogs and the things around me when out walking not being isolated by music....

18. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I always wonder about that too :confused:.

19. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

I often listen to audio books when out walking :) I'll always take them out if I bump into someone or have to concentrate on something, like crossing a road though ;)

Tbh, I think it improves our walks as I tend to walk further as I get engrossed in what I'm listening to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice