Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Those of you who have rescues....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 8tansox, Oct 1, 2013.

1. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Tell me about the rescue please?

Was it a breed rescue or a rescue centre? Did they do home-checks, offer advice, were the dog(s) you've rescued assessed by the rescue themselves, have you ever had to go and collect your dog from their home yourselves?

Questions questions questions, I'm aware of that, but if you want to and have the time, I'd really appreciate your input.

What do you think of the rescue (not your dog, the actual Rescue place/person/group etc.)

Post piccies if ya like, always up for looking at Rescues in their new homes! :D

Thanks again.

2. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

We got Molly from Animal Helpline near Peterborough. They have a rescues that have been picked up off the 7 day council pound wait so we like the ethics of that.

We had been approved by a lab rescue for home checks and they were happy to see that letter as proof. We saw Molly on April 2nd but didn't bring her home until 6th as we were celebrating my dad's 70th birthday on the 5th.

I felt that the rescue did its best with the resources it had, but it was a contrast to the Dogs Trust - stuff everywhere, like something from the hoarders next door and all outdoor kennels. But they really did love dogs, we spoke to volunteers that walk the dogs, some from Cambridge which is a trek. We were not able to view the kennels, the volunteers brought the dogs up. I think I cried all the way home when we left her and the all the way home when we collected her!

We paid £200 and I still donate things to them, I take 10% of my fees from work over £100 and give this to them at Christmas.

[​IMG]

Molly's first photo, minutes after she arrived and had destroyed a pink piggy toy

[​IMG]

Molly on holiday three weeks ago, 17 months after she arrived.

Attached Files:

3. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Bruno- seen to the left in my profile pic :)

From the SSPCA, he was a stray and they had him for around 3 months, they guesstimated his age.

NO advice was really given but then we didn't really ask for much, were given an information pack away with us.

We lived in a flat at the time and they checked our references for that. We were not home-checked although I have friends who took a dog from the same place that were. We also worked full time but I said I was able to take my dog to work- which I was- but they did not check up.

All in all it was exactly the experience I imagined it would be BUT I have worked in animal rescue before so knew what to expect. For a novice I think the experience would be very different.

They were very good at placing the right dog with the right people though, I did hear them whilst we waited advise lots of different people against some of the dogs they'd 'chosen' for various reasons of incompatibility.

I since took a kitten from them, sadly it was incredibly ill with an undiagnosed digestive/health issue and they were nothing but supportive, particularly on introducing dog and kitten (before we realised kitty was very sick). I ended up signing cat back to them after 8 weeks in the vet clinic and speaking to the vets who said it needed round the clock care, one of the nurses took him and he's doing great, if still a poorly boy.

I still laugh when I remember going to take the dog home though- and the girl who handed him over said- sorry we tried to give him a brush but it was impossible.... cue wriggly hyper dog... we've come a long way!

4. Little Cheif

Little Cheif PetForums Member

On a personal level, i think what rescue centers do is absolutely fabulous. All but one of my dogs have been rescues and yes they do make mistakes sometimes, but they try their best.

I found that sometimes, they just dont have the staff and even an organization as big as the RSPCA have limited resources.

The poor neglected 'end of the line' breeding dogs, the dog people no longer want, the dog that people return cause it suddenly grew too big, etc... all of these dogs need a second or third chance.

People such as David Beckham and Lord Sugar dont deserve OBE's and MBE's - they do things for publicity and for their own brand. Even nurses and firemen - they do it cause they are paid to do what they do (dont get me wrong, its a great JOB they do but lets face it - they get paid).

Look at the small rescue centers (breed specific ones especially) they do the rescues and somehow maintain a normal paid job all at the same time. However, they more then often feed their rescue dogs before they feed themselves. They have to find the food money, vet bills, their own mortgage and household bills and often I've seen them come under attack for not being caring!!! Even the bigger centers have a majority being volunteers. The ones that are paid get paid pittance.

The people that are the real hero's are these people - they have helped so many animals from this very cruel world we live in.

I have no objections telling you who i am and what i am trying to achieve for the dog world which will benefit so many owners and dogs worldwide, but even i couldn't do what these guys do. Everything about me is on my website Dog Harness Mobility & Support Harness for Dogs, Dog Leads Dogs Sling Dog Mobility Harnesses Worldwide

Sorry, rantings from a voice for the rescues and dogs.

5. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Beauty my Grey came from a local branch of the RGT. Yes they did a home check, they chose a few dogs for me to look at, and Beauty was the first. She got on with my then current dog so I walked her a few times, they let me bring her home for a few hours, then I adopted her - I didn't see the need to pick and choose on looks. They also did another home visit a few years later after I had a malicious complaint made about me (from Scotland, so keyboard warriers in action).

Fred came from what is now Animal Action Trust as a foster. He was brought to me at the same time as the home check directly from his house. I got a lot of support (he had been given up after having a behaviourist in so they knew he would need help) and eventually adopted him myself (9 months later).

I did once get a JRT from a rescue, but I don't remember which one, and I had to go to the house to collect her, but I met the rescue person there. Everything seemed fine.

My first dog Buster was sort of a rescue, but not from a 'rescue', he'd been passed around a few homes already by the time I got him at 5 months, Scamp was a private rehome (dog walking client gave him up), as was Tinker (preloved, sorry) after I couldn't get a pup from a rescue as they were always gone by the time I got in touch, or the rescues insisted on castrating at 6 months (I waited until he was a year old) and would not negogiate this.

6. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Dex- was approx 12 months old- and looked like this, bit skinny and needed to grow into his paws- first day home
    [​IMG]

From a small local rescue. Home checked. Always on the end of the phone/round the corner for advice from people experienced with dogs. Great rescue- that IMO tries to take on to much, but they manage and save lives daily.

now the ginger one looks like this
    [​IMG]

7. KellyNelly

KellyNelly PetForums Member

Nell is from the Dogs Trust. I found them very helpful and knowledgeable. When I first went I had to complete a questionnaire that included questions on the type of dog I was after, my living arrangements, my working hours etc. I then had a look around the kennels and made a note of the dogs I was interested in. They were very open and honest if they didn’t think a dog would be suitable and would make alternative suggestions.

Nell was picked up as a stray, so they had no history for her. She was assessed, although to what degree I don’t know as she was originally rehomed to a family with young children and cats and they took her back after having her for four days as she was too hyper. She does get very excited when she sees a cat and if children are running around she generally wants to join in, but when she came home with me, I would say it took her at least a month to start coming out of her shell (obviously I don’t live in a very exciting house with no children or cats!).

It took a week from when I saw Nell and reserved her to taking her home. During that time I had to register her at a vets and have a home check. The home check was done by the local dog warden as I don’t live that close to the rescue centre.

I had to attend a pre-adoption talk, where they gave advice on what food to feed, how often, how to settle in etc. and they gave me a bag of goodies to take home with her which included a bag of food, collar and lead.

The rescue phoned me a few days after I’d taken Nell home to see how she was settling in and to answer any concerns I had and they offer lifetime support.

I would say it was a good experience and if I were to ever get another dog, I would go back to them.

8. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

9. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Im sorry but really?

Do you really think the only reasons 1000's of NHS workers get out of bed in the morning is for their wage?

Nothing to do with being proud of working in the NHS where health care is available for all?

Nothing to do with knowing that they are making a difference to peoples lives during possibly the saddest and most stressful hours?

Nothing to do with the fact they are saving lives and bringing life into this world?

I think you should check how much the average nurses wage is - Theres far far easier ways to earn a living. Which involve alot less stress / training and risk. :(

As for Fireman they risk their lives to save others and you genuinely think they do it 'because their paid'?

Nothing to do with community pride and wanting to make a difference to their community?

Nothing to do with wanting to help educate the younger generation about fire and risk?

Nothing to do with that feeling of not being able to just watch someone struggling?

As someone who has grown up with parents working long hours in the NHS and with a grandfather / Uncle and Cousin serving in the Fire Service I find that quite a horrific view to have. There paid to do it - Its a job. :(

If only they were just Jobs hey :(

For what its worth as a retained firefighter you most likely would also hold down a full time job (To pay the bills). But live your whole life at the mercy of a pager - Waiting for that call - leaving work with no notice and making up for it in your own time. Being called anytime of day or night - And in the case of my grandad even if you wernt needed on a particular call he would most likely sitting at home listening to the crews radio to listen in that everything seems to be going ok.

These are jobs which can leave a person traumatised for life but hey 'There paid to do it'.

Im sorry I find that really sad.

I hope I dont get another rude response from yourself like I have in the past and I am sorry for derailing this thread but that comment really really hit a nerve.

'They get paid' :frown2:

I believe there are many many rescue centres and individuals out there who give 110% dedication to charities and I salute them.

The animals lives they have saved must be quite incredible and I sincerely hope in the future I will be in a position to rescue from a breed specific rescue.

But that idea that someones does something 'because there paid to'. :(

#9 Milliepoochie, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    SixStar and Picklelily like this.
  10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

QUOTE=8tansox;1063227534[]Tell me about the rescue please?

Was it a breed rescue or a rescue centre? [/QUOTE]

Both of mine were rehomed from the local pound, which had been converted from a farm or a stable yard, by the looks (and location) of it.

No, they didn't home check, yes we were given some advice, yes they were assessed by the rescue, no I/we didn't have to go and collect the dogs from their home.

The place itself ... dark in places, cramped... Not somewhere I'd like to leave a dog, personally. :( The staff were friendly and helpful. The member of staff on duty when I went to get Milly apparently cared, seemed to do her best for the dogs there, talked to them in a way you might want someone who works with dogs to talk to them, got down to her level to put the lead on her and lead her out of the kennel, described her fairly accurately, given that Mandy/Milly had only been there for a week - and was a stray/cruelty case hand-in, so no history of her...

Would never in a million years take my dogs back there and leave them though. It is what it is - a local pound.

I'll post pics later.

11. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

Freya; we adopted her from a rescue organisation based in Wales although they have fosterers throughout the country. She was an 8 week old puppy when we took her home; her mum, Nell, was brought over to the UK from Ireland when she was found as a stray and it was only when she was scanned back home that she was found to be carrying a litter of puppies.

I could not fault the fosterer that took Nell and her tummy full of pups on. Despite having four young kids, four other dogs of her own and a family christmas to organise, she cared for Nell throughout the remainder of her pregnancy and during delivery and all 13 of the puppies survived, including my Freya. She weaned them onto a premium quality kibble out of her own pocket, encouraged her kids to interact with them and was on the phone to me numerous times during the adoption process.

The rescue however left much to be desired. They arranged home checkers that never showed up, lost important emails I had sent to them and were just generally difficult to deal with. I really had to push so hard for Freya even after our homecheck was complete and we were approved. I almost backed out at one stage :( However after 6 weeks of endless back and forth negotiating, we were finally given the go ahead the day before Freya turned 8 weeks and dropped everything to drive down to get her.

We never dealt with them face to face despite the insanely strict criteria; we only ever met the fosterer and the homechecker (who was it turns out just a random volunteer who had never done a home check before and turned up with a Yorkie who peed on our carpet :frown2:) and after all the rigmarole of getting Freya we have never had any follow up emails from them despite sending numerous ourselves.

It wasn't particularly a bad experience because of what we got out of it; the best dog we could have ever hoped for but it would make me think twice about the heartache of potentially being turned down at the last minute. I would rescue again of course, but would think very carefully about the type of rescue I would support in the future. A lot of things about this rescue have come up since we adopted Freya and I would go as far as to say that the rescue are verging on unethical in some of their practices.

12. Barcode

Barcode PetForums Senior

Matilda came from Freshfields, in Liverpool. The official cost was £150 (we gave £200). Little did we know that a Blue stafford is considered 'rare' and costs around £900 (!!!) - this probably explains why she was abandoned (assuming ******-owner realized they would not get money after she stumbled into a bucket of household chemicals).

The person we dealt with was incredibly nice, and it was 100% about the dogs (as it should be). We were not entirely happy with their insistence that she be spayed at 6 months, though this is a common rescue policy - not because we wanted to breed (we certainly don't), but simply because of her age.

We would rescue again (and I'm sure we will own more Stafford's over time). It was right for us as, having gotten our first dog from a breeder, we were more prepared for a dog with issues. And now we've managed to raise two reasonably well-behaved dogs, feel that we've more of a grip on what we're doing - not for a couple of years at least though.

13. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

We got Rory from a Jerry Green Centre in Linstead Suffolk, oooh 12 years ago.

Summary -

General Rescue Centre very well maintained site with lovely volunteers and staff. Dubious manager who more or less handed him over no questions asked, then used our contact to try and achieve things for herself once she was 'let go'. No support offered, bad advice given, no assessment as far as I could see of us or the dogs, minimal garden check, we collected him ourselves. Dog in pretty shocking condition once we got him home and assessed him properly ourselves.

ETA I in no way felt that JayGees were at fault more the dodgy manager who was running the centre

Long Ramble -

:mad:

We turned up there one day and walked the runs, they were all individual outdoor runs with kennels attached, all clean and well maintained. We decided on Rory and took him out for a little walk in the exercise area and I think we agreed to take him then and there but we may have come home and discussed it.

They asked very little about us but we were late 20's, lived on a farm, no kids and I worked from home so maybe there was nothing they needed to know :rolleyes:.

He was described as a collie cross, they claimed to know very little about his history, we dealt with the centre manager at all times, a lady in her 50's.

We were told he needed a diet of cooked tripe as he had terrible guts and couldn't cope with anything else. We realise we could have asked more questions but were a bit overwhelmed.

We went home and tidied the house and garden from side to side (bungalow :p) and waited for our home check. The lady manager came and walked in the front gate, told us to raise the height of the fence and we could pick him up as soon as that was done :confused:.

So we did it that afternoon and went to get him, they took our money, handed us his lead and off we went.

Once we got him home the inevitable guess the breed started, most people thought he was boxer cross or even greyhound from his posture and deep chest.

It was clear he was very underweight which they had explained by his stomach problems. He had a raw sore on his tail, we surmised was from tail chasing, the vets weren't sure if it would heal or need partial docking. His claws were worn down beyond the quick.

We didn't feed him cooked tripe :eek: he did develop gut rot in later years but at the time was fine on normal dog food. But he put weight on at an alarming rate, within a fortnight it was clear he was a staffy cross collie and was at a good 25kg.

Out and about we kept bumping into people he knew, former staff and volunteers, turns out he had been there about 2 years he was only 4/5 at the time, they all claimed to love him, he was adorable, so why hadn't anyone taken him :(.

There was a little hint that the manager liked him too much so deterred people :confused: I cant quite believe that but it was a very odd thing.

6 months later she turned up on our doorstep on the pretence of doing a homecheck, stood on the doorstep and asked if there were any properties to rent on the farm and if any came up could we put in a good word for her. I seem to recall Rory was there but she didnt see him.

Another 6 months passed and we heard she had been sacked for dodgy practices and was now running a home for 'damaged children' all rumours tbf, but hope to god none of it was true and we were totally mistaken :mad:.

ETA photo of the beautiful boy we wouldnt have been without
    [​IMG]

#13 GingerRogers, Oct 1, 2013
  14. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

15. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Ohhh forgot to add

it is kinda breed specific as in they run
    Staffie rescue and terrier rescue under the banner of rescue remedies, but they pretty much take in any breed in need.

16. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

This is Holly at about 15 weeks old:

[​IMG]

I saw a litter of puppies on a breed specific rescue site just before Christmas in 2011. They were all merle collies except for her. I kept checking the website over the holiday period and eventually emailed the rescue centre. I wasn't sure they would re-home 100 miles plus out of their area but I did give contact details of people I knew down south, including their behaviourist.

I obviously gave my name and said I'd owned and trained collies for over 35 years but didn't specify which disciplines and to what level.

Within an hour I got a reply which basically said that if I wanted the pup, or any other dog I'd seen on their website, to please come and see it. There would be no home check or adoption procedure either.

I would imagine one phone call confirmed all they needed to know....LOL

I've kept in contact and send donations from time to time and have to say little Holly Bolly has been the easiest and sweetest pup I've ever owned. She may not have oodles of talent but you couldn't wish for a nicer little lady.

17. Linda2147

Linda2147 PetForums Senior

The shepherd I had before my current one a rescue. Not in the general sense of the word but I considered her my rescue. Long story

My youngest daughter was dating a guy that had a roommate, she went to his house one time and saw this beautiful shepherd in a crate. The roommate hated the dog, he only kept her so the x wife couldn't have her. He kept this dog crated for 18 months with no human contact other that to be fed and taken out a couple of times a day to relieve herself. He would go away for weekends with no thought to the dog, would leave with no food or water for her. Luckily the guy my daughter was dating took pity on her and would feed her and let her out of the crate once in a while. When my daughter saw this she was furious, she told this guy she was going to tell me and he would be in a lot of trouble as I volunteer on the national animal abuse website. His words to her were "take the damn dog or I'll shoot her".

So she was more or less dropped in my lap. My daughter took her and brought her to me knowing I'd take her. This poor dog was a site, her nails were so long she could hardly walk, she was afraid of her own shadow, she didn't know what toys were and she didn't even know how to bark. All she knew was the crate, I had a crate and set it up for her but left the door open, eventually she started peeking out to see what I was doing and before long the crate was put away and she became my shadow. She bonded with me so quickly I could never have rehomed her, not that it was ever a thought. I was probably the only one that ever showed this dog any kindness.

Long story short I took her, cleaned her up, fed her properly she was skin and bones, and literally taught her how to be a dog and enjoy life. I had another shepherd at the time and she kind of taught her also.

She was two years old when I got her, I had her for only a short five years and she developed lymphoma, five weeks later I had to have her put down. Broke my heart but I couldn't let her suffer and the vet told me she would only have lasted another day or so and the lumps in her throat would have strangled her. I couldn't let that happen. I had promised her my face was the last thing she'd ever see and I kept my promise to her, She died with her head in my lap.

Its been over two years she's been gone and I still miss her every day. She was such a good girl. I will miss my Molly forever.

18. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Flint came from my local rescue Dumfries & Galloway Canine Rescue Centre

I spotted him on their website on a Friday night and I went to see him on The Saturday.

He was a stray and they aged him between 5/6,had only been in the rescue for a few days so he still had to serve his 7 days to see if he was claimed.

I reserved him and filled in the required forms and they said that a homecheck would be done by the Wednesday,as his 7 days were up by then.

I knew my garden wouldn't pass due to the height of the boundry walls/hedge,so that weekend I bought some fencing and posts and raised the height.

I arranged with them to take Craven to meet Flint on the Tuesday,I took them both for a walk round their grounds.

I had already booked a holiday from work starting the following weekend.When I had not heard about a homecheck by Wednesday and after a few phone calls I went to the rescue on Friday to find out what was happening.

I got a little bit upset as they still wouldn't commit to a date/time for a homecheck,when I say upset I actually started crying in the office.:eek:

But that did the trick and they gave me a time for the homecheck late on Saturday afternoon.

Homecheck went well and the homechecker said I had passed and I could have Flint now.......................the rescue was staying open for me to go and pick him up.:D

I have since had dealings with the rescue and have not had any issues with them.

19. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Was it a breed rescue or a rescue centre?
    Breed Retired Greyhound Trust, the RGT branches are run individually so how they operate & homing policies etc vary, but all dogs are neutered/spayed, treated for parasites and come with hound collar/ lead & muzzle for safety (most dogs only need muzzle as you get to know them, but are handy to have).

Did they do home-checks?
    Yes but volunteer didn't properly check garden boundaries as it was raining. I did offer an umbrella but they just peered out the window which you can't see whole garden from.

Offer advice?
    Yes it was available,

Were the dog(s) you've rescued assessed by the rescue themselves?
    Not sure if rescue did or trainer (racing) that they were still living with passed on info. They do tend to be vague on the site lots of maybe's and I think if they were properly assessed that probably wouldn't be the case. Throp turned out to be an anxious boy out of his comfort zone of the kennels (just took time to adapt) which was only apparen to them when they took him to be neutered.

Have you ever had to go and collect your dog from their home yourselves?
    The boys were at a local racing kennel awaiting space at RGT kennel so we picked them up.

What do you think of the rescue (not your dog, the actual Rescue place/person/group etc.)?
    I wasn't impressed with our experience they didn't ask us anything to match us with suitable dogs (personality/energy etc) so I wasn't confident in their choices & didn't like feeling pressurised, it was difficult but did say 'No' if not for us. I don't think that went down well, perhaps we seemed picky compared to other adopters.
    We weren't told that you couldn't reserve a dog without a homecheck (you could but would be trumped by those that had) so if we'd known this would opt to get it done before getting attached to a dog. We also had an odd email reply to our questions (which it didn't really answer) which upset us and if we hadn't already chosen dogs would've gone elsewhere, though did have a call soon after that was all very pleasent as if email didn't happen so was just strange
    I know lots of other adopters rate them so assume our experience isn't common & was years ago now. We often see them at events so they see the dogs are doing ok, no idea if they keep tabs on others post adoption. Hattie we adopted from same trainer but apart from rgt paperwork had no dealings wth branch.

#19 2Hounds, Oct 1, 2013
  20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

My first dog a Samoyed who was 3 1/2 when we rescued him was rehomed via the vets. We had been thinking of getting a dog and already decided on a Samoyed or a Husky, which I had always wanted anyway right from a small kid. It was just pure luck, had taken the cat for a post op check and there he was on the notice board, needing a new home because the owners had divorced and owing to work and travelling commitments he was on his own for many hours and really unhappy. So we phoned them, went to see him, and re-homed him direct from the previous owner. He was excellent and such an easy dog, and settled straight in like he had always been here.

Numbers 2, 3 and 4 were also all rescues, rehomed through Siberian Husky club of GB welfare. Great instruction was given after long telephone conversations (had been researching anyway because originally was going to buy a pup previously but then found out about breed welfare and that ones needed homes and being as my Sam was such a success decided to rescue instead) Then a through home check and a further chat if the breed was right for us, plus the home checkers brought some of their own dogs. and finally we went to meet the first one that was thought to be a best match, and we brought her home after a successful introduction with our Sammy.
    Numbers 3 and 4 followed the same way, although obviously didn't have the home check as we had already been vetted, but again the dogs that were suitable pending they got on with the current dogs were chosen for us.

Number 5 I did actually buy from a breeder as a pup my one and only.

Then number 6 went back to rescue from RSPCA Danaher, who is a Malamute/Siberian mix from a litter of pups born in the RSPCA, we rehomed her at 12 weeks old. Had to have an RSPCA home check, and fill out a questionnaire on general experience and breed experience, which wasn't hard to pass because of owning previous and both breeds, and then we went to pick her up and after successful introduction to the two I had/still have we brought her home.

All the dogs through Breed welfare were assessed and spayed and neutered, vet checked any problems healthwise etc dealt with, and the usual flea treated wormed and vaccinated.

Same with the RSPCA Branch, fleaed, wormed, vaccinated, health checked, assessed, and microchipped. They are usually spayed and neutered, although being too young I was given a voucher and it was followed up to make sure I had her spayed when she was old enough too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice