Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Those of you who have gone from 2 to 3 dogs!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Mar 26, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I just had a couple of niggles really... Been thinking about a few times.

Did you have a stronger bond with either of your two dogs?
    If yes was it the dog you had first?

When the 3rd dog came along how did that affect the balance?
    ie was the dog you had more of a bond with put out, or did they act weird?

Just, I have more of a bond with Dixie than I do of Dave. I got Dixie at 9 weeks she is now 3.5
    Dave was born at my home he is now 2.

But I don't feel I bonded as well with Dave as I did Dixie, he is more of a daddys boy where Dixie is a complete mummys girl.

My puppy should be a girl and I worry a little bit about how this might upset the balance?

Obviously Dixie will still get plenty of one on one time with me, and me and her will be doing obedience classes and agility together so she has special time out with me.

But I just wanted some ideas how anyone else fit in a 3rd dog :)

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I had no problem and have a similiar group to your potential one. Boy and girl first then another girl abit later.
    Hannah (middle dog) has always been my fav but I do love them all differently. Adam is my mate, Hannah my heart dog and Heidi my baby!
    The only problem I had integrating them was that Adam was a spoiled, evil little toerag who attacked Heidi and was mean to her for almost a year before he accepted she was staying. (then after she came into season and he discovered sex he liked her a little bit more!!LOL).
    The least problematic was the 2 girls. They fell in love straight away and are much closer then Adam is to either of them. (its why dog no 4 will probably be a girl too).
    Im lucky in that I can easily fit all 3 (plus a cat or 2) on my lap without getting squished.:rolleyes:

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I think sometimes you do form a stronger bond with one of your dogs, much the same as you form a stronger bond with some people.

I try to give my three equal time and affection but sometimes its difficult, especially with training as the older two (13.1/2 and 9.1/2 yrs old) are just not up to doing much now. They still get their turn though albeit very watered down.

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

The dogs that we have are pretty much Benji, Rusty and Tipsy live with me full time and are mine, Coco and Tux live with OH but he brings them here with him and they stay when he stays although Coco is here full time until the puppies have gone to their new homes.

The first was Benji, he was with me before OH came along, next was Coco, she was OH's though and not really mine so obviously my strongest bond was going to be with my own. Then Rusty came along, he's mine and with him being an older puppy it took a while for the true bond to form but we have a good bond now and he's my little teddy bear.

Between the 3 dogs at this time, Coco spent more time playing with Rusty possibly as they were closer in age but Benji acts like Coco's father, he watches out for her and always has done, she even pulled him by the ear to see her first litter :)

When Tipsy came along the only one was a little put out at first was Rusty even though she's his daughter but that only lasted a couple of months now they snuggle up together.

Tux was like a little whirlwind when he came to join us, he was so tiny amongst the others that I would worry that just playing might hurt him but he was straight in there with them and bossing them about lol. Him and Tipsy play the most but they all get on and she's my little princess :)

5. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

If I am totally honest( and I am not trying to put you off, just being honest) it was a nightmare lol. Archie (3rd pup) was, and still is a very bolshy dog, Our older dog would tell him of but Rosie who was 2 at the time was not impressed, she would let him near her but she didnt like it and he used to drive her crazy:rolleyes: It took her a long time, about 6 months for her to learn to tell him of and accept him. They are great friends now, Archie is still a bugger lol but it was hard work. I think its the dogs character that is the main thing. They have to be well suited or it makes life a great deal harder than it needs to be

6. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I havent yet, but both dogs are treated equally, Kira is my girly and always will be, but she was my 1st ever dog. Grey is my prince and Keyusha is my baby even though I havent met her yet!

Kira was a bit put out when Grey 1st came, so i'm expecting it again, she soon gets over herself though when the other dog is settled and she realises that its not leaving lol.

7. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

Great question and I have enjoyed reading all the posts. I have 2 girls but would love a thrid - a boy. I do wonder how the dynamics would change if a third dog was introduced.

I know that Lilly would love a big dog but Bella is very shy and would probably take the longest time to adjust!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice