Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thoroughbred coughing

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by karenc53, Apr 18, 2011.

1. karenc53

karenc53 PetForums Newbie

My 17 year old t.bed, who I've had for ten years, has had an intermitten cough for six months. He's had countless courses of antibiotics, anti-imflammatories from the vet, and 2 tubs of Ventipulmin. I've spent £600 at the vet's and can't claim it back cos' about 5 years ago he had a sore throat and had antibiotics, but that cleared up really quickly.

He's got a 24x12 shelter with a deep bed in it, and has ad-lib hay and 2 bucket feeds a day, amount depending of weather and time of year.

My problem is - rugging - I just can't get it right :confused:

I last go out to see to him at 7pm, and it can be really warm and sunny so I just leave him a lightweight rug on, but then I get up to a frost and he's coughing again! At present he's got a lightweight rug on through the day, and because it turns cold at night he has a medium weight with neck cover on top of that for through the night (he's living out, the vet said this would be better for his respiration).

His problem is his throat - you can actually feel the swollen glands when the temperatures have dropped suddenly and I've been caught out with his rugs. The weather is so variable - that's the problem.

He's very finely built and was bred for short distance flat racing. He needs to be molly coddled really with his rugs, but I know it's bad for him to be sweating underneath.

Has anybody any suggestions as to feed or supplements which would build his immune system up please?

2. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Hi Karenc53,

I have a 13yp TB Mare and towards the end of the winter she got quite a bad caugh. My problem was the hay and her bedding. Now she is living out She has no hay and no bedding and the caugh has gone! It all just gets so dusty after being stored for so long.

With respect to the rugs I think in a way its a matter of instincts. Now my mare is living out and the weather is quite warm she has no rug in the day and just a lightweight (practically a rain sheet) at night.
    But she only went out last Sunday, before that she has a waffle on at night because if she was to get too hot and start sweating it would not soak the rug or end up in her having a cold etc from it! To me it just seemed to be the best option if I wanted her rugged at night because as you say the weather is so unpredictable.

Do you soak his hay? And what sort of bedding do you use in his shelter?

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Is his hay dry? or do you soak it.. If dry try damping down.. to rid of any dust...

Have you tried something like easicof Im not sure of spelling..

When he is on anti biotics does it ease his cough or is he the same?

Also when on ventipulmin how is he on that..

Re rugging at this time of year most horses shouldn't be rugged.. also when you do rug up a horse will sort its own body heat..

#3 momentofmadness, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. astraldream

astraldream PetForums Member

My first instincts was the bedding. what bedding do you use? also try soaking the hay this will alleviate any dust that is in it.

With regard to the rug, i personally would leave it as its quite nice. But it does depend on where you are in the country obviously it may not be as nice where you are. We arent waking up to frost i know that!!

Perhaps try it for a week off see how it goes? As you know if its left on and he starts sweating his condition will go.

5. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

We dont have any frost now and yesterday it was 25 degrees! If this is the case where you are then a rug is a definite no no (obviously unless its a fly rug)
    But with him having shelter and deep bedding too there isnt much of a risk of him getting cold unless the temperateure really drops. I have had to be quite careful with my mare due to her being clipped but anything over abnout 15degrees I think is perfectly fine for no rug!

6. packhorse

packhorse PetForums Junior

Maybe there is a little dust in the hay and the bedding - these are normally prime candidates for causing coughs.

Be sure to use top quality bedding and forage (hay) and make sure that the bedding is clean clean.
    Do not muck out when the horse is nearby though and do not shake hay up when horse is nearby either. Both have spores in them which cause coughing.

Try dust free bedding such as hemp or any other dust free bedding and as suggested always soak the hay for short time

better still steam it :

put in dustbin, pour over 2 kettles boiling water - cover with tight lid - leave 30 mins and feed.

Packhorse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice