Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thornit?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by merlin39, Feb 5, 2012.

1. merlin39

merlin39 PetForums Member

Anyone know of thornit? Canker powder for dogs and cats, I've read on the net about it but wondered if anyone had experience? Apparently v good for dogs with hairy and or drop ears?

2. I love springers

I love springers PetForums Senior

I use thornit powder on my springers...Especially my show one as she has long hairy ears...It is really good stuff and not expensive...I would recommend it :)

3. Angel pedigrees

Angel pedigrees PetForums Member

I use it on my Shih Tzu too and wouldnt use anything else xx

4. mich1971

mich1971 PetForums Junior

Fabulous stuff, wouldn't be without it ;)

5. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I have used it on my cavaliers, and its good but I have heard vets do not advise
    putting powder in dogs ears. But that might be cos they want to sell you dearer drops ;)

6. merlin39

merlin39 PetForums Member

Thanks for your advice, merlin is a cockerpoo and does have hairy ears so I'm going to give it a go! :) He has also had sore ears in the past so hopefully it will help prevent that too :)

7. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Make sure you dont spill it, it does stain (yellow)

8. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

I use it for my dogs floppy ears, I read to put it on the inside of ear flap a little bit then close the flap and gently rub it in.

Good stuff lasts for ages:)

9. Weimerlover

Weimerlover PetForums Junior

Briliant Stuff! I have started using it, and it really cleared up 'smelly' ears. I did it for 5 days, and ears are now lovely and clean. Don't put it down the actualy 'ear' canal. Put it on the outside of the canal, and gently rub. A little goes a loooooong way, so good value for money!

10. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

Is it helpful for plucking?

11. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

yes it is ....

12. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

Thornit powder is amazing stuff, i use it all the time in the salon. :D

13. leanne g

leanne g PetForums Newbie

Yes it is really good for plucking, just rub a little in between your fingers and pinch a little at a time it is really easy for the hairs to be pulled out with no discomfort for your dog

would recommend this to anyone as it really helps with ear mites(when dog is shaking head alot) and also helps to prevent infections as it keeps the ear nce and dry (doesn't smell too bad either :)

14. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Thornit has been around since the victorian days that must say something in itself.

I use Thornit for my dogs ears and is extremely effective and not messy unlike the oils etc.

15. bluegirl

bluegirl PetForums Senior

It contains iodine and was used before antibiotics were in circulation.

You can use daily as preventative treatment or you can use as and when required. You only use a very small amount so a bottle can last ages. You can also use on the dogs front feet if they scratch at their ears a lot, without any ill effects should the dog go on to lick and chew feet (rang up Thornitts and this is the advice they gave). If you buy Thornitts it comes with an instruction leaflet too.

Great stuff and ideal for floppy eared dogs who due to the nature of the ears have less air circulating around them.

16. hungover

hungover PetForums Junior

There used to a slightly beefed up version called TEP that had an extra paracide but it doesn't seem to be available anymore Default PLESK Page

Not sure if they went bust or had problems making and distributing it. Thornit has some odd legal status. AFAIK it is legal to make but it can't be openly marketed.

As Bluegirl says you can use it kill mites on the paws, put a little in a bag and then put the paw in the bag. It will however stain white fur or white carpets.

17. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

18. durtydawgz

durtydawgz PetForums Newbie

Im a dog groomer and it was recommended to me by a groomer of 30 years. I swear by it as she did as long as you do not put the powder directly into the ear canal it keeps mites at bay and helps stop itching

19. EssexWags

EssexWags PetForums Member

After hearing about Thornit I bought to use on my Shih Tzu who I suspected had ear mites, great stuff, great results :)

20. RichardJordan

RichardJordan PetForums Junior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice