Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This weekend / Spencer and his ball / Teenagers / Bad owner

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LahLahsDogs, Sep 8, 2013.

1. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

#1 LahLahsDogs, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

A crappy dog owner certainly wouldn't cringe at things their dog does ;)

You are defo not a crappy owner! You know what went wrong/what you should have done/what you are going to do to fix it, and everyone has these kind of things happen at some point :)

Put your feet up and wind down, sounds like a hectic weekend! I get stressy when I take my dogs somewhere and they aren't as well behaved as they are at home (hence why I avoid doing it, haha) but at the end of they day, they aren't robots and new situations will affect them too.

3. Barefootgirl

Barefootgirl PetForums Member

I read your post about Spencer getting stuck in the dog fight trying to rescue his ball, and I know it sounds a bit soppy but it made me feel quite emotional on his behalf. I don't know anything about dog psychology but if it makes him feel more secure to carry his ball around for a bit, why not let him?

4. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Personally I'd be taking the ball off him. Only using it for special games when he's having one to one time with you.

To be honest I read your whole post and thought "sounds like complete chaos". Personally I like to stay a little more in control of doggy interactions between my dogs and others and try not to let things esculate to any "handbags" if I can help it. I sort stuff out, they don't. :)

5. lipsthefish

lipsthefish PetForums VIP

I probably don't even know what I'm talking about here :eek: but it's something that strikes me often from your posts LahLahs, no offence is meant and I'm sure I'll be corrected by those who do know what they are talking about ;)

It just sometimes seems as if you're viewing your dogs behaviour as if they are humans (I know there's a proper word for it but don't know what it is :eek: ) rather than as dogs. Maybe if you looked at things from a doggy point of view you'd be able to see the situations before they arise and be able to prevent them before any kick offs.

I know I've been guilty myself of doing this too but when Jack came to live with us I realised that I had to change things because him and Alfie were having handbags and I was making so many excuses, he looked at him wrong, he sniffed him wrong, he touched his toy and upset him, when really it was me not recognising the triggers and reading their language a bit better as dogs rather than treating them like human toddlers.

Again, I honestly mean no offence to anyone and I'm open to hearing how and if I'm viewing this the wrong way, I'm always eager to learn :)

Dogless, moonviolet and Sarah1983 like this.
  6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

oh dear...teenage boy dogs are such fun arent they??:rolleyes:
    and with 2 together no wonder things got abit out of control.
    Im having problems with Adam and Alfie (my teenager) at the moment too. Had a couple of 'more then handbags' fights, although nobody has been injured. I think I have discovered the trigger though, which is stimulus from outside. They hear a strange dog barking, kids screaming, shouty drunks and it all kicks off....What really annoys me is that its one of the few reasons for them fighting that I have no control over.:(
    Dont know if it will help you at all but what Im doing with my boys is to make sure they are fed seperately, not left alone together(Alfie is currently crated in the kitchen with the others loose), and monitor play to make sure it doesnt get out of hand.
    I dont imagine that I can stop the random acts of violence all together but hopefully I can distract and redirect them.

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Pretty much this.
    Anthropomorphizing is the word by the way ;)

#7 Sarah1983, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  8. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

Nooo :( i love your posts & seeing your boys !! I cant add much else as im running late for work ... Couldnt read & run though :( x

9. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Nobody has poked you with sticks for things that aren't ideal, people have offered advice to try to help you with the problems you post about. At which point you then usually turn around and say the problem isn't actually a problem :confused: Which is rather frustrating to those offering suggestions. And yet so many carry on doing so thread after thread.

moonviolet likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice