Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This might be a stupid question but.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Nov 1, 2012.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Would putting poop outside work the same way as if you put some of the dogs wee outside to encourage them to go there? :lol:

Chase is doing really well on the pee toilet training, had one accident last night but tbh it was his first time of being taken outside to pee as they had newspaper down, and he just did not want to go on the wet grass!

No wee's in the house at all today but poops is a different matter!

He will wee once he's on the grass if he needs to wee, but other than that he wants to climb up my leg or sit on my foot. I don't want to put him in the crate too much because he doesn't really like it (unlike his sister apparently. typical!), so just when he is sleepy and at night time I am putting him in there.

He follows me about and I shut the baby gate with him in the livingroom so I could feed the big dogs and by the time I had turned around with his dinner he had pooped.

So... if I was to put the poop in the garden, might it encourage him to poop there so I can give him loadsa praise for pooping out there?

Sure my neighbours think I am barmy, I give him the baby talk praise when he has wee'd :laugh:

2. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

I don't see why not it couldn't hurt to try! I'm sure your neighbours as do mine do not consider me barmy just eccentric ;) :D

3. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

You could give it a go, I dont like leaving poop in the garden though. The way I train to go in a certain spot is to clip a lead on the pup and walk him up to where you want him to go, then wait and reward for going. Works better in the cold for my guys, because when its cold they want to get back inside and they learn they dont get to come back inside until they've emptied! :)

4. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Nope they PMed me...said you're barmy! :frown2:
    PG, agree with Modwyn. Can't harm and I too worry about my neighbours about two in the morning when I'm putting on my excited voice and saying. 'You're a good boy! Yes you are...you are...you are!'
    And I'm having same problems with Bruno. Have to carry him out and PLONK him on the grass and still he only wees! :rolleyes::

5. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I used to put toilet pads and spray them with toilet training spray, outside for Sailor. (the toilet pads and spray were given to me by a friend whos pup no longer needed them, I wouldn't have wasted money on such items or come up with a crazy idea otherwise lol)
    Sailor was a winter pup, so I was quite determined to make him go quicker and used that method.... it worked a treat!
    When it was awful whether (deep snow/eavy rain/hail) I put the pad inside the old play house (was no longer used by the children) to stop it getting drenched.
    Wasn't long before house accidents were few and far between and I didn't use the pads outside for long either. I assure you, I am still not having to rely on pads for Sailor to go weewee :p altho some dogs might associate pads with toileting and only go if there is a big bright white pad....

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I don't like leaving poops either, but once he has got the hang of the idea that is where he is supposed to poop, then I can pick them up once he's done.
    I can't teach him to go quickly if he hasn't been yet :lol:

He has been fed so I will just keep taking him out and popping him back in the crate, have found out getting Dixie to lie on the bed next to the crate helps him settle a bit better :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice