Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This is what i have emailed Numerous Sheltie breeders, Does it sound good....?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Baby Bordie, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

I Just wanted to show you all what i have emailed numerous sheltie breeders to try and aquire a sheltie puppy in December, If you were a breeder, Would you sell me a Pup?

Hi, I'm 14 and my Name is James, I have 3 other people in my family, one sister, who is 16 and my 2 parents! I live in Southern Wales and I'm looking for a breeder who is expecting a litter of puppies in December or early January, Preferably a blue merle puppy. If you are expecting, how much would your pups be? And im expecting you would let them go at 8 weeks old? My whole family would be comited to this puppy, More me and my sister, but parents would help out to.

Im moving soon, so thats the reason for getting a pup in December, Not just like "A Puppy isnt just for christmas its forever" We will be moving into the countryside, a walk away from 3 beaches, 2 parks, and a room espicially for the dog! The garden is safe and secure, so you wouldnt have to worry there. I have never owned a sheltie before, but have studied them very hard, and know the ins and outs of this breed. I have owned 2 Labs and 1 rotweiller so im not a newbie to owning dogs. Also everyday we would feed the puppy 4 times a day, until he was 6 months, then 3 meals, then when a year, 2 meals, and we would brush the dog everyday, and have a profesional cleaner a few times a year, and a bath a few times a month.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Thanks James.

Sound good??

ninja likes this.
  2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

If im going to be totally honest i would be put off alot at a 14 year old emailing about a pup! :blush:
    Thats just me though i hope some one else can come and give you more answers

3. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

I'm not a breeder but I have to agree here.

4. Baby Bordie

Oh no... I Guess i would to, didnt really think about it!

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I would ask your parents to email, I would never allow someone under the age of 18 to buy a pup :yesnod:

6. Baby Bordie

O.k, thank you for this, I will ask my mum now! :D

7. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I had a very similar situation with one of my pugs.

A 16 year old phoned and left a message. Sounded too young so i didnt return the call. The next day she called again. I was very clear with her that just because she had the money i couldnt possibly sell a puppy to someone who may leave home and is in fact a child.

The next day her granddad called me and explained that she had been working for half the money and he would match it but she had been told to do all the research - of course she wasnt really very good at knowing what to say once she got on the phone.

I did the prescreening with him. Then i asked that i could meet her mum and others that live int eh house. it was a bit of a drive but i met all the family and they already had a westie.

It soon became clear that this was a family and whilst the daughter would buy and take responsiblity for it it would inevitably get absorbed into the family and live along side a very happy westie. The daughter was a showjumper and would take it to the stables every day. she was and still is a great owner and i know that as she grows and may leave her family whether it stays with her mum or goes with her it will be in good hands.

What i would say is you are not going to be well received initially. You need to get a parent to make the first contact. By all means get involved in the research and visits but you are a child and no breeder will hand over a puppy to a child. If your parents are as keen as you i am sure they will understand it needs to come from them.

Good luck ;)

Baby Bordie and RowanWolf like this.
  8. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

thats a great reply if i had rep left i would give ya some :blushing:
    julie xx

9. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

thanks! i remember looking back and feeling a bit guilty about prejudging the situation but it is just common sense really.

10. Baby Bordie

Thank you! :D Its a very good post, and i left some rep for you! :D I will get my parents to make an email and send them, instead of me, hopefully this way i will get more breeders to contact back! :D My parents did help me with this one, But i said it was me, so will probaly just change a few things, and give my parents fone numbers! :D

Thanks Again,

James.

11. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

When I was emailing about standard poodles I never put my age because I felt I'd rather they knew about me rather than judge me on my age. I did go on a few waiting lists and none were bothered about my age (I'm 17). I did explain to them though that I've always been around poodles, used to the brushing and used to be a junior handler. Then I dragged mum along to a champ show and we got speaking to a breeder/judge and he told us I would be better with a miniature to start off with so we spoke to a woman from the poodle club then we got taken over to our breeder :D They've never questioned my age or anything but mum was there when I met them so they know she's going to be involved even though it will be my pup. I've went to see them twice aswell and keep in contact and they know all about Cheeko and our past poodles. Plus they've seen me around the pups and their other poodles so they know he'll be well looked after and they will most likely get sick of photos of him when he comes home ;) He'll be going back to visit them a few times aswell because there going to teach me how to groom and show. So really I'd recomend going to a few shows and asking around instead of emailing. Maybe it was just luck we met our breeder at the show and they lived really near but it could happen to you aswell :D

Long reply but I understand about the age thing and breeders being put off. My friend was the same when she got a sheltie but like me she didn't mention her age in the first email and she got put on some waiting lists and now has her pup.

12. Baby Bordie

Thanks for that! :D I will definately be bringing my parents along to meet the breeder, So hopefully we will hear from someone soon! Thanks James.

13. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Did you Email Landover as the old gentleman still breeds Shelties he is part of Markenfields Collies they are base in South Wales where I see you are from

14. Baby Bordie

Landover? Nope, do you have his email, Thanks! :D

15. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

there were some beautiful Shelties at leeds show today! some really stunning merles you would have loved them Sahunk!:thumbsup:

16. Baby Bordie

Lol, rub it in..... Do you know of any up-coming shows in Wales.?

17. noushka05

:D sorry!.... theres one on saturday 22 August Builth wells:thumbsup:

18. Baby Bordie

Oooooo, thank you, Not to sure if i will go to that one, Might be in Turkey... :( But will try! :D Will you be going to that one?

19. noushka05

no im not going to that one im afraid, i have to stay within a 70 mile radius (my oh wont go any further!:cursing:) lol, so its Darlington next for me:D

20. Baby Bordie

Lol, OH's these days! :rolleyes: Ive never been to one before, Im still a virgin to dog shows! :blushing::blushing:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice