Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This is the Breed for me!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tailtickle, Aug 24, 2013.

1. tailtickle

tailtickle PetForums Senior

Is there only one Breed for you, that as won your heart totally? :001_wub:

Would you/have you, considered any other Breed, or are you committed to a favourite? :)

tailtickle x

2. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

Im sure I`d fall in love with anything plonked in my lap.
    I LOVE my dogs mix. Papillons are amazing little dogs well the ones I`ve met have been and they are active little beautiful things!
    Westies I love their personality and how comical they are! Bailey will sit down in the park and as I`m walking away from him will wait for me to recall him so he gets a treat! Cheeky little beggar! :D

But there are breeds I admire but would never consider owning.
    Siberian Huskies, Greyhounds and GSD`s come to mind BUT if there was one in need I sure would help it out!

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I thought I could get another breed last time because I no longer needed a dog to work. When it came down to it though, I just couldn't get another breed when a Goldie needed a home

4. foursmith

foursmith PetForums Senior

Beddies suit me cos of my allergies and they are soooo funny, they have my heart but I also love lurchers greyhounds and whippets....I'd take any of those if I could

5. tailtickle

tailtickle PetForums Senior

What a lovely response Message :):):)

tailtickle x

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm more of a dog person than a breed person, but I do have my preferences.

While I've known some awesome tiny dogs, that just wouldn't work for us. I'd be constantly worried about BOP and land predators that live out here, plus we are pretty active and like to include the dogs so it would have to be a breed/type that could go for an all day hike, swimming, keep up with the kids etc.
    Off leash suitability is also a must because of where and how we live.
    I'm also picky about coat. Nothing that's fussy to groom or going to take forever to dry, and nothing that's going to be miserable in a climate like ours where it gets so hot and stays hot for so long.

After that, I'm pretty open. I tend to click more with a certain personality rather than a certain look.

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I'm sure I'd fall in love with whatever too but for the foreseeable future, I'm a springer girl. :) We've already discussed the next pair! :yikes:

8. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

I don't know why but I have always had an extra fondness for short haired dogs (just like I always like the short/smooth haired guinea pigs)
    I love staffies, their big wide trusting faces; loopy, clownish Boxers; Weimeraners; Rhodesian Ridgebacks; Frenchies; ..... but to be honest I love all dogs, they all get to me

:p

9. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

German Shepherds & Chodsky pes - the latter being similar in looks, movement etc but higher prey drive
    the only breeds I would consider apart from the above are the Gelbacken (East German type) or the Harzer Fuchs the former being identical to CPs the latter same type but different colour, if another shepherd type needed rescue space then I wouldnt refuse but only Shepherd dogs for me.

10. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

I think I will have a flat coat (or several ;) ) for as long as I can, but I would really love a collie or a kelpie, or possibly a slightly smaller (maybe small working cocker) working type, active dog if you see what I mean :)

Flat coats will always be my favourite I think :D I love the breed too much, but I think I may eventually have a dog of another breed BUT in addition to my flatties - I would love to have several flat coats :D :)

11. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

I love all dogs. ...However I will always have a Boxer. They have completely captured me 100%

12. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Im Labrador through and through, but saying that after having two Goldies Im smitten:eek::eek: but then if a dog whatever breed needed me I would take it:)

13. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I too am more of a dog person than a breed person... But there will always be one breed in particular that I would love to and have always dreamed of owning and one day, when the time and circumstances are right... I will :)

The Belgian Mallinios :drool:

14. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Labs :)

But I also really like Rotties, Rough Collies, Staffies

I also really like crosses, especially if there is some Lab in the mix :D

15. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

I'm a lover of a lot of breeds some won't suit my lifestyle and some my OH won't agree too :rolleyes:

Growing up I always wanted a GSD and i'm hoping one day i'll have one but the time wasn't right when it came to getting another dog.

Me and OH decided on a Boxer together, we both liked the breed and after researching breeders we now have Zab, I can see myself always having one. I've fallen for the breed now :001_wub:

But I've also fallen for the German Short haired Pointer :D

16. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Whippets :biggrin:

I absolutely love them and can't imagine us not always having at least a couple.

We do plan to branch out into a larger sighthound breed in the future but that would very much be alongside whippets rather than instead of.

I can't imagine us ever having anything other than sighthounds now, they just suit us too much :laugh:

We're actually planning for whippet number three next year :blushing:

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I would say I am a breed person, but I am interested in and would like to own LOTS of different breeds over time, I have done terriers (grew up with them) and now have my Greyhound (which is a new experience, i've never had anything but terriers so it's an interesting contrast to now own a sighthound!) and i'd also like a Borzoi in the future. As well as that, i'd also like to try a few of the Working breeds - my next dog is to be a Rottie (I was gonna get a Borzoi next but I want one to show, and it's pointless having my own show dog when I can't afford a car to get me to the shows!), and i'd also like (in future) a Great Dane and a Tibetan Mastiff. As well as that, i'd love to own a Bloodhound one day and also a few Gundog breeds - Bracco Italiano, Clumbers, Chesapeakes, Gordon Setters and one of the Pointer breeds all appeal to me.

Of course I probably won't ever own ALL of those breeds (and i'm not talking about all at once, just over time) but i'd certainly like to have a variety of different breeds over the course of my life.

The breeds that do stand out the most to me though are Rotties and Great Danes, no doubt once i've owned one of those two breeds, I won't ever see myself without one, I have loved Great Danes since I was a small child but for me, the Rottweiler ticks EVERY box, so I don't doubt that when I get one, he/she certainly won't be my last :)

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I used to be firmly a herding breed person, border collies and shelties but now I am very committed to poodles. I am fairly sure I would never have a shedding dog again - it is so wonderful not having a coating of dog hair on everything.

I have also owned a Jack Russel and a GSD but I do not envisage having them again.

19. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Nope. Variety is the spice of life and there are loads of breeds I would be interested in. I think it is only natural to feel some sort of 'special' attachment to a dog breed we have owned, so IMO it is difficult to definitively say "this is breed for me!". Seeing as there are hundreds of breeds out there that you haven't owned or experienced, how do you know the breed(s) you currently own suit you best? we don't know, we can only assume. ;)

20. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't really be fussed about breeds though I will be getting a working line GSD eventually and a Labrador.

my criteria for dogs is more based on size, fur, exercise, temperaments. i.e. short to medium fur (not wirey or curly), medium/large (on the larger scale of medium), must love exercise, long walks etc (I like to take my dogs anywhere I can and especially love long walks), cant be nippy, must switch off at home and good with children all things that are learned really hence I prefer puppies to older dogs, though I do think some dogs just aren't suited to homes with children and other animals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice