Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This is getting frustrating - not sure how to handle this

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ForestWomble, Dec 9, 2020.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Earlier this year a neighbour got a pair of puppies, thankfully Bungo and the puppies get on, however, recently the puppies have been getting braver and they've started running round to my door, sometimes I've come outside and they run round and they won't leave me alone, other times they just run round to my door and Bungo is doing his 'there's someone out there' thing, I open the door to find the puppies literally just the other side, thankfully I have a gate across my door because without it I think the puppies would run inside!

My problem is that Bungos behaviour has changed and he hears the puppies and he barks and lately has started jumping at the door and being a right PITA.
    Thankfully it's not too bad at present being winter, but I want to get this sorted before the weather warms up and the puppies are outside more and potentially become a bigger problem.

I can't talk to the neighbours, but was wondering if there was anything else I can do?

So far, if I know the puppies have run round I just ignore Bungo as I don't want the puppies being rewarded for coming round every time and I don't want Bungo thinking his behaviour gets me to open the door, however if I don't know its the puppies I have to open the door incase there is someone out there and I didn't hear them knock or something.
    Is ignoring him the right way to do this? Or should I just let them say hello?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I take it you have a shared garden. I would have words with the people or if you really cant then I would speak to the dog warden and say you cannot get out of your door because of out of control dogs in the garden. Or give the puppies a dreadful fright so they never come near your door again.

Jason25, adamantis, margy and 5 others like this.
  3. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

My first thought was have a word with their owner - if you can't, and it's Buno's change in behaviour that's bothering you, could you teach Bungo not to react? Same way you teach dog's not to react to the doorbell etc...?

LinznMilly, Sairy and ForestWomble like this.
  4. ForestWomble

Yes, it's a shared garden.
    I've found the info for the dog warden and will contact them if I can not sort this some other way first.
    What do you mean by 'dreadful fright' exactly?

I've been ignoring him then praising him once he stops and settles. Is that a good way?

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

This will not go down well with some people but you could try one of those horrible horn things that I have used to get rid of silent callers. Or if they are coming right up to your door you could try those things that bang if they are trodden on. Or just open the door and yell at them and spray water on them. The best thing is to sort it out with their owners and failing that the dog warden. Wasn't it you who was trying to move because of problems with a shared garden. I cant help feeling dogs should not be allowed in a shared garden at all, it is not fair on the other users.

My dogs had never known the sound of other dogs or people at home but they have had to learn to ignore barking dogs and voices in the holiday cottage. As soon as they open their mouths to bark I tell them to shut up. Which actually works really well because it shuts up the nearby barking dog as well. Unfortunately now my dogs do not react to the barking so I have to just yell shut up anyway to stop it barking!

Jason25 and ForestWomble like this.
  6. ForestWomble

Thank you.
    I'll try talking to them first and failing that the dog warden.
    Yes that's me, am still trying to move.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice