Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This is for any Lab owners and/or Lab breeders among you

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by TabithaJ, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ PetForums Senior

I'm rather excited: my cousin has decided to get a Lab! When she first met Dexter she fell in love with him and announced she wanted the same breed. As my brother and I both have Labs, we've offered as much advice as we can, especially re health tests and only going to a good breeder etc.

So... I've recommended a few Lab breeders for my counsin to contact. However, I'm sure that some of you folk are far more knowledgeable than I am! So just wondered if you might be kind enough to recommend some really good Lab breeders?

My cousin is looking for a male, yellow Lab - she prefers the 'typical' show type, i.e. chunky-looking dog.

She's based in south west London BUT is prepared to travel to find the right pup.

Hope it's OK to ask for recommendations here?

Many thanks :)

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

There's lots of "good" Lab breeders out there, personaly if they want a show type I would recommend they go to a couple of Champ shows and speak to breeders:D
    At least then they could see the types that show people have:)

3. Afinmore

Afinmore PetForums Junior

All the breed clubs run puppy lists - have a look here for more information

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

The best place to look for puppies of ANY breed is the relevant breed club(s) whose members must a bide by their codes of conduct/ethics which are often of more stringency than those of the KC.

There are loads of Labrador clubs.

6. TabithaJ

Cheers all :)

I have already urged my cousin to look on Champ Dogs. I think she was rather hoping that she might get some specific recommendations if I asked for her on here, but no worries, I will relay all your answers to her :)

7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

There are a lot of good breeders around - and Kinjilabs suggestion is a very valid one.

I won't recommend breeders on a public forum, but am happy to do so privately.

I don't know what timescale she is looking at, but there are two CH shows on at Lockmeadow Market in Kent on the 31st Mar and 1st April - pretty much everyone in the Labrador world will be there (including some overseas breeders I would imagine).

This would be an excellent opportunity to buy a catalogue, look at the dogs and talk to the breeders and find out what their breeding plans are

You can find out more about each of the shows here

Some breeders keep waiting lists, some don't - whilst the market for pups generally is probably in decline at the moment, this is also coupled with owners breeding less than they were - I know I've really struggled to marry people with breeders on more than one occasion of late (particularly chocolates).

200 miles isn't really a massive radius for getting a pup - my last dog was nearly a 20 hour round trip away and even my closest pups have been a good four hour round trip - having said that - there are a lot of good breeders in the home counties / Essex / Kent etc

If not prepared to wait, I would contact the secretary's of the following breed clubs who may well have puppy lists and be able to point them in the right direction.

To find out more about the required health-tests prospective owners should be looking for - visit the Labrador health website

Labrador Health: What Health Tests should my pups parents have?

8. TabithaJ

Many thanks indeed SWARTHY!

I am passing on to my cousin all the info you have very kindly offered :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice