Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This heat and appetite

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kiona, May 22, 2010.

1. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

Does anyone else find their cats are eating less in this heat? I wouldn't be worried really but for the fact that Benji is only 9 weeks old but has definietely gone off her food somewhat, taking a few nibbles here and there.

Roll on the cooler weather!!

2. Alansw8

Alansw8 PetForums Senior

Yes i think its too hot for them especially kittens as one of mine is very lethargic but i am feeding it milk so i know its not getting too hydrated.

If you have kittens over 5-6 weeks old make sure there is plenty of fresh water down for them.

They have had their 30 mins of madness so all sleeping now thank god :D:D:D

3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Both of mine are eating less.. Tiggr hasn't touched her wet that she gets just before we go to bed.. bin job in a minute methinks... biscuits are hardly touched either.. at last her waters half empty though :D

Harley is just nipping back and forth to his dry.. has a couple bits then runs off to play again.

4. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

Yes the water is being kept well topped up. She ate more at lunchtime, enough to please me anyhow, but has now started limping so wondering if it's actually that putting her off a bit today, not the heat? Will keep an eye on her, she got a claw stuck in the sofa earlier and twisted her leg a little getting it free so assume it's a bit sore poor mite :(

5. woodbine

woodbine PetForums Newbie

Normally, our male tabby 'dustbin' called Harry has the appetite that wouldn't be out of place on one of his larger cousins that roam the Serengeti.

However, as he's no spring chicken any more, I think that the heat tends to make him less hungry. He even left half of his tuna yesterday, which is out of character.

I think it is because cats are even more slothful in warm weather, so they need less to eat. Harry's main priority at the moment is sunbathing on the veg patch, lying on his back with his back legs in the air. Who can blame him after the winter we've just had?

6. jo1234

jo1234 PetForums Member

Yep. My boy normally wolfs his food down however he's hardly touched any today. Drinking lots of water though!
    He also hasn't had any of his usual 'mad moments' which is unusual! He's lying in the shade all stretched out! Bless him!X:001_wub:

7. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Mine is eating less so never worry!!

8. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

as i have already said. yes my cats are all eating less except for harry. raffles who is 16 is eating hardly anything and i am worried because over the last year he has lost 3 kilos already and is a bag of bones. what do you do?

9. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

My 2 aren't eating a great deal either, but then they tend to go through phases like this. I get worried sometimes but then I think I am comparing their appetites to my own admittedly large one!:p

10. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Neither of mine are eating much either. I'm just putting small amounts down now as they are on all wet and it soon goes off. I was about to go to bed last night though, and up pop two cats wanting a little food (I guess they were feeling better with it going cooler). My cats have access outside, but my female is stupid enough to sleep in the conservatory which goes up to about 37 degree when I have to lock up and go out. She started getting cystitis, so I'm anxious she doesn't get dehydrated. I have four water bowls around, but she never touches them.

11. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

although it is now cooler, i found in the hot weather to feed them early morning and late at night. mine eat both wet and dry food so the dry food is down all the time

12. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Bailey is bearly touching her food either. I think it is the heat.

13. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Woops just noticed this thread, I've just posted one similar although one of my girls is throwing up too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice