Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

This Doggy Dandruff!!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Few of the pups have the doggy dandruff. Have checked to see if it is moving and its not so know its not mites. 1 wee girl is really bas and you can feel it under her fur mostly at back legs and at her neck. Gave her a wee bath yesterday using very little shampoo. Might be due to food I am feeding(Royal Canin) but don't want to change that right now as it'll probably upset their tums. Will they just grow out of this or should I do anything else. Remembering the kids got dry skin after a wee while when they were new borns. Do you think this is similar?

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I am not too sure on this one, as the first thing I would of thought of was walking dandruff, but I think you would have to see your vet to make sure though, have all the puppies got it also the mother, as walking dandruff is passed down from mother to puppies. This link my be of some help to you ok.

Dandruff in Puppies

My daughter had a puppy 8 weeks old and he had walking dandruff, she didnt see it walking and thougth it was just dry skin. But vet gave her stuff for bathing the puppy in and some treatement to take aswell.

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I found when mine had walking dandruff that you just could not see it moving on the pups.It was only when you brush some off onto a dark peice of paper you start to see it 'move'.

Frontline spray should clear it up.

4. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

I have brushed it onto a piece of dark paper but don't see any movement. Would they not all have it if it was walking dandruff.

5. bucksmum

I found that some were more affected than others but they all had it to some degree.

I have a litter now aged 3 weeks and i will frontline as a preventative this time even though i really don't like using chemicals on them.

6. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

What is the frontline spray and where would i get it. Take it it's ok to use on the pups. Would it be ok to try it to see if it works or am I better knowing that it is walking dandruff for sure. Phoned the vet yesterday to ask about house call to get the pups all checked b4 they go to there new homes. Do you think I should bring the visit forward to get the dandruff checked. Mentioned the dandruff and they said walking dandruff is mostly farm environments. Pups have been in garden for the last week but they have shade.:confused:

7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My daughter bought her puppy last year from a lovely woman with a very clean house, the day after she got him home she took him to get a check up and she didnt know it was walking dandruff, she thought it was just dry skin. Her puppy which was 9 weeks had walking danduff as the vet took a sample and looked under microscope. He adviced Sharlene to take the puppy back to the breeder as the mother would of had it to as it is passed on from mother to puppies as birth, the breeder wouldnt answer the phone calls or the door when Daughter went back and knocked on her door. Its a long story but she kept the puppy and had her vet treat it. Puppy was given medication to take orally and also had injection and bathing solutions to be done twice a day. This puppy had it bad but because of the longish fur was not noticable at first, it was the vet who picked it up.
    I would suggest you take the puppy to be checked so they can treat it IF it is walking dandruff, (it may NOT be) but safer to get it checked over as you have other puppies who can catch it too.

The vet did tell my daughter that walking dandruff is from Kennals that are not clean and from BYB who have loads of dogs and dont clean up after them, so as you dont come into one of these, I dont think it would be Walking dandruff. The person my daughter had her puppy from was found out to be a friend of a BYB and was selling these puppies as her own in her clean well kept house, craft cow eh!.

#7 xxwelshcrazyxx, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  8. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Not sure what Byb is:confused:

Yes will get it checked at vet sooner rather than later. Might try and get up there tonight. Ta

9. bucksmum

I have known several breeders who have also had walking dandruff even though pups and bitch are kept in very clean enviroments.
    As their immune systems develop they show less signs which is possibly why many cases go undiagnosed and adult dogs can be carriers with very little dandruff.

I got mine through my terriers which are always going to ground and bringing mites home :( as it also known as rabbit mite so i can be pretty sure how we caught it.

Don't be too quick to blame the breeder as i suspect alot of breeders would not know what the problem was even if they had a scurfy pup.

Yes you can use frontline spray from 2 days old (but do not use the spot on) and you have to get the spray from a vet.

10. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Mum has never shown an signs of dandruff. Her coat has always been great but I suppose she could still be a carrier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice