Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking over getting a new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Liz Damaschka, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Liz Damaschka

Liz Damaschka PetForums Junior

At the beginning of the year we had 3 cats and between February and end of June 2 of our cats died, leaving us with one 13 year old, Tiggy.

Tiggy has never known living in a house without other cats around and we are now beginning to wonder if she is lonely? In the last six weeks we have been watching her behaviour and although eating normally and going out we now find her much more vocal.

It was not our intention to go out immediately and get another kitten, we wanted to see how Tiggy adapted to being without the others. If she was o.k. then we would not look for another cat. However, we want to do what is best for Tiggy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i think you shud get another kitten. may not be wat tiggy wants a little rascal causing mayhem but once the kitten relaxes and settles she will prob benefit from havin a friend loads. its like us losing a lifetime partner and never goin out again. she mite even find her inner kitten if she has someone to show her how to do it again lol.

do wat you think is best but i think a kitten is a good idea. you cud even get an older cat maybe a year old or somethin

good luck :)

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i think another cat would be good especially as your cat is not used to being on her own

4. Liz Damaschka

Liz Damaschka PetForums Junior

Thanks for your comments.

I do not think she would accept an older cat. The last cat we got came as a kitten and Tiggy was then 3 years old. Billy, who died in February, came to us as a semi stray and at the time was 5 years old. However, until Billy was 7 he only visited us for food and Tiggy was used to him by the time he moved in aged 7.

I find it very hard without my other two lovely cats and yes, the house does seem empty without them and it takes some getting used to only having the one cat now. However, as I said I want only what is best for Tiggy and if by her being vocal is telling me she is lonely then we would get a rescue kitten and give it a good home.

5. Tim_A

Tim_A PetForums Junior

I hear there's a lot of good a kitten can bring to a older cat... a lot of people think it helps keep them young and that they live longer??

Having never been in that position with my boy I can't gve an honest opinion but it might be worth it :)

6. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

She may well want some company but in terms of a kitten it would depend on how playful she is herself.

Some older cats want to rest throughout their retirement and will not appreciate a young boistorous kitten annoying them whereas some will love it and it can bring out a new lease of life.

There is no guarantee that your cat will accept any cat or kitten but I would go on your own judgement as to whether you feel she would be better with a mature cat companion, a kitten or just retiring as a spoilt only pet.

Good luck with what you decide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice