Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of the strays tonight

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by maisiecat, Feb 5, 2012.

1. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

in the snow :sad:

All the oldies that were no longer wanted because they were old and maybe needed vet treatment.

The abandoned ones that were dumped because their people had to move and the rescues were full.

The ones that were simply left behind to fend for themselves because 'Oh we'll just get another one'.

And the ones dumped at Christmas to make way for the kittens which have now been dumped because they are too much trouble.

I would take them all if I could.

2. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I was just saying to OH I wish I had though to put some boxes out with cat food bowls in them - he said the the foxes would have had it, but at least something would have got a meal.

3. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

I have thoughts like this.It's so sad.:(

4. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

If it's any consolation I feed the local foxes round here every night and i often see stray cats in the bowls, I know it doesn't stop folk worrying but many people feed the foxes even if it is said to be wrong, I just cat stand the thought of anything being hungry.Strays will always find a warm place to curl up, just imagine all the open sheds and skips covered with tarp, porch ways and thick undergrowth, I try to think like that or i'd drive myself nuts with stress. I also leave my spare rabbit housing doors open for anything that needs a bed.

5. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

The foxes round here do OK, they leave huge leg bones on our lawn from the pub carvery, among other things.

One year I left them a tray of food and they didn't touch it.

6. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

That's gratitude for ya eh lol not only do they leave your food they dump their cast offs in your garden ;)...still, least you know they're well fed :D.
    In reality I know the foxes round here wont go hungry as they're wild and they find food somehow, I'm just a soft touch and worry about just about every animal around, bet the local rats have a field day

7. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

and those of us with missing furbabies...... bad weather makes it worse..........

8. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

LOL I bet our rats do too!

I crumbed half a loaf or bread today, mashed it up with cooking oil, added niger seeds and bird seed, then put it into a load of bowls under tables, benches and bushes for the birds that cant use the feeders (pigeons, magpies, crows) and the squirrels :D

9. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

i feel so sorry for u:( just like you, i would be worried sick

10. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

I expected to find extra cats downstairs when I got up today as 2 uninvited *guests* have been sneaking in, one of which I'm convinced is a stray going by how aggressive he is with me, but neither cat was in. In fact one of my regular crew is missing, Stripey Tail, a semi adoptee, God knows what he's found outside in this weather that tempted him to stay out and go without food as well.

I've just checked and even the boxes in my shed are empty atm, tho' they may have been used overnight.

Ian

11. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I now know the local cats and foxes got fed last night as when I opened my back door this morning there where fox and puddy cat prints in the nice fresh snow :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice