Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of starting agility... XD

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by Staceybob, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

Hey there XD.

So always said that when Aleu is old enough; that I'd do agility with her. I think it would be a good exercise for her to use her energy and exercise her brain as well. My friends agility class can be started when the pup is the age of 9 months; which is what Aleu is now.

But now that it's come to the time she can start doing it; I've started to feel really... unconfident? Like I feel like I'd look like a fool running around XD.

How did you feel when you first started agility?

It's something I really want to do with her, so I need to over come my thoughts and go with the flow lol.

Stacey xxx

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I felt ridiculous lol but remember everyone there that isn't an experienced agility handler is going to be feeling the same. It will be good for her but the first time Buster refused to do a jump not out of fear just terrier stubborness it was really embarrassing you quickly learn to forget it though.

3. Staceybob

Lol oh god I can imagine that. See I think she'd be really good at jumping and I think she would enjoy it; but it's whether she's willing to co-operate lol!

Stacey xxx

4. BunBon

BunBon PetForums Newbie

I've been to a few different agility classes and I've found that everyone is usually really friendly and encouraging - you will start with small basic steps and build up confidence for you and your dog on each piece of equipment at a time, so don't worry you wont have to run around a whole course in front of 10 people waving your arms around and hoping your dog will know what your on about on the first day! Book yourself in and go along and you will find you had nothing to worry about! Plus at 9 months I should imagine you will be doing puppy agility, which means you will be working on the commands and foundations of agility, which probably wont require any running at all!

Go for it, and post again to let us know how you got on!

5. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I look and feel an idiot some times at agility classes,some times i just get confused where i should go next when doing a course,but by the end of the lesson i get it right,i am sure my dog thinks when we arrive at training "oh no its mums turn to show me up !!!!) but Jack and i have a great time,last night at training we almost got it all right,just one hiccup,so the trainer went over it again with me and hey presto we did it right,

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Dont worry I'm going be in the same boat soon. Arnie is approching 9mths I've been told to leave it until he's 10 mths and then start, the lady I'll prob be going to has explained that as a pup for the first few sessions its all about gaining the dogs trust and used to new commands and as they are still young doubtful if much if any jumping mostly walking around the equipment and walking on planks etc.

7. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

I was a bit embaressed when i went to my first agility class on tuesday night, i thought cassie would be a bit stuborn doing the jumps etc. But she was brilliant, everyone was praising her and asking had she done it before, the trainer was also saying that myself and cassie must have a very close bond as she listened to everything i said and done what she was told. After about half an hour of doing the beginner course which is for the small dogs also, the trainner said she was ready to do the larger dogs course, she was so brilliant i was so so proud!! definatley do it, its a great experience. I will be bringing cassie every tues and sat evening!:)

8. Cavalierlover123

At the start cassie was walking through the course then she was jumping the jumps, going through the hoops & tunnels, climbing the A-frame, walking on the see-saw etc! U wont be running around the first time it will take time for the dogs to get used to it, even the professional dogs at the class were making mistakes!! lol

9. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Now thats reassuring, dont mind making a bit of a fool of myself but makes you feel better when those that have done it for a while still mess up :D :D

10. Cavalierlover123

I was the only beginner there tuesday night, ALL the other dogs have been there for weeks, and they were making mistakes!! lol
    Even the trainers dog was running off lol, he has a red setter x border collie, he gets very excited! Everyone was reassuring me saying look even the experts make mistakes!!!:D so that was brill!!:)

11. kimpossible

kimpossible PetForums Junior

I've only been doing agility for a few weeks and I must admit i feel like an idiot at the start but after a couple of runs you relax and forget about it. Everyone is watching the dog after all. I take my lhasa boy to agility and the only thing i have to watch is that he likes to be a typical stuborn lhasa and put the brakes on without warning. I end up running way ahead while he has a little lie down or scratch in the middle of his run! lol!

12. Staceybob

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way XD. I'm so nervous about starting!

Stacey xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice