Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of rescuing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by aesir22, Mar 29, 2011.

1. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, thought I would say hi:)

I moved into a 3 bed terrace (front garden with wall/gate/dense hedging and back yard with tall wall/gate). I have been considering getting a dog for a year or so now, but never wanted to before as I lived in a first floor flat and didn't think it would be fair on a dog.

I have a cat (Oli - 2 years old) who is becoming less and less a housecat like he used to be and more of an outdoor explorer!

I was thinking I would like to get a dog from a rescue home (looking out the window, I can actually see one at the bottom of the valley lol). I got Oli from a rescue home, and although he was very well cared for I felt especially happy that he had once been neglected and unloved but came to a very loving home. Obviously there will be some issues around getting a dog and a cat together lol but I know plenty of friends who have both who live very happily together (I'll end up asking advice about this in another thread lol.)

I work, as does my housemate. I am home between 7am when I wake up and 9am when I set off for work. I am home for an hour every lunch time (since I work across the road lol) and I am home by 5:30pm. Myhousemate works different shifts 5 days a week, either 7am-3pm, 9am to 5pm or 1pm to 9pm.

I already walk every day after work, for between 30 and 60 minutes, but would be more than happy to have another walk in the morning before work :)

I was hoping to rescue a not-so-young dog lol. A few years old, mostly trained and obviously one that I can care for properly and will be happy in my home.

Just wondered if any0one had any good experiences with rescuing, or if there is a particular breed I could make happy :)

2. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

There are alot of Greyhounds and Staffies in rescues for you to consider :D

Greyhounds are alot less active than people think. Though will happily put up with huge amounts of walks etc.

Staffies make really good pets, but you just have to put up with the image others have of them, i.e crossing roads when they approach etc.

3. Statler

Statler PetForums Member

ive had 4, its a great thing to do, very rewarding!

4. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

BTW there are alot of people on here who own rescue dogs or work in rescues (or even both :lol:). Hopefully they will come along soon.

#4 jamie1977, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

A Greyhound would be my recommendation too. Retired racers are generally at least 3 years old, so are past the mad puppy stage, they're calm and gentle dogs, real couch potatoes. They're happy with 2 x 30 minute walks per day, but will take as much or as little as you can offer them. They used to living in kennels, so are good being left alone, although they can take a couple of weeks to settle into a home environment. You'd obviously have to take special care if you've got a cat, but many Greyhounds are cat friendly.

I've got 2 ex racing brothers and they're little stars. Greyhounds really are fantastic dogs- calm and gentle, very loving, very loyal, easy to own, eager to please, not too demanding with exercise, quick to learn etc. They're a smashing breed and there are SO many in rescues crying out for homes :)

Well done for thinking about taking on a rescue. They're so rewarding, my Greyhounds and my Mastiff are rescues, and it gives you a real sense of achievement taking on a dog without a home! :D

6. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Myself and husband adopted a rescue dog just after the new year and he is great. He is an older rescue so was struggling for interest and is a lab x collie cross we are told.

I don't work at the mo but will be going back on some basis in the future and the rescue were great about this as our chap is fine in his own company and just snoozes. Actually, he sleeps quite a lot and is a very different dog in the house because when he gets to the park he runs around and has a ball (for about 40 mins then you can see he is starting to tire).

We were expecting to have some accidents while he got used to the new surroundings etc but he has been clean in the house from day one.

7. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

Wow quick replies, thanks everyone! I am glad people have recommended greyhounds - I absolutely adore them! And past the mad puppy stage sounds good to me :) Are they generally good pets health-wise? I adore my cat Oli but his health has been quite a worry so far (he has a poorly bladder :( ) and I don't want to have to worry overly lol!

Anyway, like I said I am glad greyhounds were recommended as I have always loved them. I am gonna do a bit of further reading on them now :) my local rehoming centre (Dogs Trust) has 4 of them there. But they may have been taken to a loving home by the time I am ready to get a dog (I'm looking at around August time, to give myself plenty of time to prepare and make sure the garden is nice and secure!

8. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

9. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

health-wise bloating pops to mind and I think there is something about drugs due to how skinny they are.

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

That's great, so pleased you like Greyhounds as they really sound ideal for you! :D

Health wise, they're pretty sturdy dogs. I can count on one hand the number of times my boys have needed the vet, and I've had them coming up to three years now. Jake does have an old racing injury that requires ongoing treatment and I take him to hydrotherapy for it, which is expensive, but my dogs aren't insured. Insurance does soften the blow of any vet bills as and when required! Bloat is common too, but you just take the same precautions that you would need to with all large dogs.

11. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Taken from wikipedia

Greyhounds are typically a healthy and long-lived breed, and hereditary illness is rare. Some Greyhounds have been known to develop esophageal achalasia, bloat (gastric torsion), and osteosarcoma. Because the Greyhound's lean physique makes it ill-suited to sleeping on hard surfaces, owners of companion Greyhounds generally provide soft bedding; without bedding, Greyhounds are prone to develop painful skin sores. The typical Greyhound lifespan is 10 to 13 years.[31]

Due to the unique physiology and anatomy of Greyhounds, a veterinarian who understands the issues relevant to the breed is generally needed when the dogs need treatment, particularly when anaesthesia is required. Greyhounds cannot metabolize barbiturate-based anesthesia as other breeds can because they have lower amounts of oxidative enzymes in their livers.[32] Greyhounds demonstrate unusual blood chemistry, which can be misread by veterinarians not familiar with the breed; this can result in an incorrect diagnosis.

Greyhounds are very sensitive to insecticides.[33] Many vets do not recommend the use of flea collars or flea spray on Greyhounds unless it is a pyrethrin-based product. Products like Advantage, Frontline, Lufenuron, and Amitraz are safe for use on Greyhounds and are very effective in controlling fleas and ticks.[34]

Greyhounds have higher levels of red blood cells than other breeds. Since red blood cells carry oxygen to the muscles, this higher level allows the hound to move larger quantities of oxygen faster from the lungs to the muscles.[35] Greyhounds have lower levels of platelets than other breeds.[36] Veterinary blood services often use Greyhounds as universal blood donors.[37]

Greyhounds do not have undercoats and thus are less likely to trigger people's dog allergies (they are sometimes incorrectly referred to as "hypoallergenic"). The lack of an undercoat, coupled with a general lack of body fat, also makes Greyhounds more susceptible to extreme temperatures; because of this, they must be housed inside.[38]

12. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

I kinda have my heart set on a greyhound lol. But I have read a few things saying that they instinctively chase small furry creatures. And obviously this could prove a problem with the cat lol! Will have to ask advice at the centre and ask for one tolerant of other animals lol

13. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

There are alot of greys that are retired due to not having or losing that prey drive. Some are even introduced to cats while in foster care.

14. SixStar

SixStar Banned

As Jamie said, there are loads of Greyhounds that don't have that chase instinct- it's the reason many are retired from racing in the first place. Mine DO have it, they will give chase to small furries if allowed- but then they raced successfully for 4 years, which is a long career for a Greyhound. They happily live with a Westie though- who isn't much bigger than a cat, and probably very similar to the fuzzy thing they chased at the track!

I'm sure a rescue centre will be able to find you a suitable match :)

15. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

Oh that would be even better. If you do decide to rescue one, do they let you spend a little time with the dog before actually taking it home? I quite like the idea of playing with one and walking them rather than just meeting them once then a few days later bringing him/her home!

16. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

i am sure a rescue would be happy to let you join them in walking the dogs. Or doing repeat visits.

17. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, all good rescue centres will encourage you to do that. They'll encourage you to visit the dog several times, go for walks etc. They'll also encourage you to spend time with a few different dogs, rather than settling on the first one you see.

I rehomed mine directly from their ex-racing trainer, but I can't say it's an option I would recommend. Rescue centres are the best way to go :)

18. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

19. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

How heartening to see someone thinking ahead re. adoption.Wish everyone did that

We adopted 2 rescue dogs just over 14 years ago-sadly we lost Lulu ,our collie cross,14, 8 weeks ago and are still in bits.
    She and her "brother",Buster also 14 ,came from the rescue I worked for
    -we also have 3 cats -also from the rescue- 2 of them we got when Buster and Lulu had only been with us for 8 weeks and they grew up together-so many people passing our house would stop and stare ,seeing the 2 dogs and the 2 cats all sitting together,looking out.

So its possible to have dogs and cats living happily together -just needs patience and understanding-which ,judging by your post I think you have a lot of.

There are so many dogs in Rescues- and -contrary to what many people say-they dont all have problems-many have had OWNERS with problems-mainly their lack of understanding about how to care for a dog.Some have other situations - death of owner,family break up etc
    I really wish you well -
    our dog Buster now has dementia and after losing Lulu,who he relied on for support in everything,he doesnt even realise shes gone,so sad.
    Please keep us informed in the future about what you do and once again thank you for considering a rescue dog
    from Maureen

P.S.
    Our 3rd cat is called Ollie-he is only 6 and is so loving,!
    I brought him home when he was abt 10 weeks old ,as a foster -he is still here 6 yrs later and I love him to bits-as I do the others

20. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Not sure what the Dogs Trust is like but many all breed rescues seem to automatically say no cats/small furries with greyhounds/lurchers, so if that is the case you'll have better luck with a breed specific rescue either RGT or the many independent greyhound rescues (if able to cat test) which can also advise how to go about the introduction & further training. Chap i know that runs a local greyhound group reckons that about 3 out of 10 dogs they rehome are cat trainable (pass cat test) even successful racers and it can also depend on the cats reactions too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice