Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of Rescuing? Read Here

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by goodvic2, May 4, 2010.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi

I would like a sticky for advice on rescuing.

It is beneficial for people who are considering it, to know where to turn to. People naturally assume that all rescue's have issues and that all you can get are staffys.

We have many members on here who do home checks,dog walking, rehoming, and even some who assist in running them.

Please can you share your invaluable knowledge and help provide advice to people who are considering it?

Please do not turn this into a debate, this is for informational purposes only.

thanks for your time x

Petitepuppet likes this.
  2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I will start it off....

I have 3 rescue dogs, and only one is a staffy x!

Two of them came from Greek Animal Rescue

Greek Animal Rescue - Working to alleviate the suffering of animals in Greece

I got turned down by the big organisations, but I still found a way to get my dogs.

My dogs give me pleasure everytime I look at them. Without me taking them in, they may still be in rescue or even PTS.

They are my world, and the satisfaction for me is knowing what I have done. It hasn't all been easy, but the fact that I have 3 of the little monkeys speaks volumes as to how much they give me.

x

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

That would be a good idea. Maybe some advice, past experiences and lists of a few rescues and what they require.
    My favs for looking at inc the little dog rescue, many tears and oldies club!!:D

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Absolutely!

there are so many options out there for people, you just need to know where to go.

x

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Can we also hear from you lovely people who do home checks? what are you looking for? why is it so hard for people to get a rescue? what can people do to help themselves?

6. metame

metame PetForums VIP

for anyone in staffordshire, animallifeline is an amazing place. i did my dissertation project out there and they're really helpful. When i was in there a lot of the dogs were collies, not staffies.

Animal Life Line - Home Page

they talk you through everything and when i go back home im hoping to become a dog walker for them :)

7. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

I am an animal care assistant and homechecker for the national animal welfare trust in watford.
    when i do homechecks the main thing i look for is that the garden is secure.then its just a mtter of going over what to expect when they get the dog home.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

In south Cumbria, the Wainwright centre near Kendal is very good. They list dogs in the local paper (Westmorland Gazette) and you make an appointment to meet any you're interested in - so the dogs are spared the stress of visitors gawping at them in their runs. They come with 6 weeks free insurance, microchipped and you can ring up to discuss any problems. They have a policy where if you can't keep the dog, it must be returned to them. As I lived over 30 miles away, I wasn't homechecked - guess I asked the right questions - but had 2 follow-up phone calls over the next few weeks to make sure Ziggy had settled in OK.

Wolfwood near Lancaster seems good too.

9. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Many Tears are fab (they generally have puppies too) and i think they rescue all over the place and a fab site for GSDs is this one, you can search by region :D

German Shepherd Puppies for sale Dogs Breeders GSD Rescue Dogs Alsatians

Happy Hunting :D :D :D

Also one thing i have learnt through Petforumers is that the whole thing about rescue dogs having loads of problems is a total myth which is why my next one will be a rescue :thumbup:

10. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I am a volunteer for Rochdale Dog Rescue who are a rescue who work mainly with pound dogs finding them rescue spaces rather than being a direct rehoming rescue. Am also a homechecker and like to help out my local rescue walking and blanket collecting & transporting etc.

I think this is a good thread, sometimes people don't know all the information out there when looking for a rescue dog and get put off by being turned down by a particular rescue under a blanket rule. Sometimes people are of course turned down for good reason but I think this can help people to understand why rescues have the rules/guidelines in place and why they are in place - not to stop people getting a dog but bourne out of years of rehoming experience and this isn't the place but many rescues more than likely have some real tales to tell about rehoming and the scenarios that normally result in the dog being coming back to rescue etc.

Alot of people don't know for example about foster homes and they can be a great way for people who have children for example, or that there are a number of rescues based all over the UK but who with the advent of the internet have dogs in foster/rehome all over the UK using local rescue volunteers to homecheck etc.

Don't know if can post links (will do if its ok) but Dogpages and Dogsblog are excellent resources for looking for rescue dogs - on Dogpages there is a section for homes offered which you can post a little bit about your situation esp if a little different around working hours, children, other pets, cats, gardens etc. Not every rescue may rehome to you but there are alot of rescues on there who will consider your situation and have a chat to check and see if it will work.

The perfect home rarely exists but often its a matter of chatting with people and making sure they have thought things through, i.e. if you have a cat chatting through how you will introduce them or If you work are you happy with an older dog and have you made adequate provision for toilet breaks etc etc.

alphadog likes this.
  11. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

With tiny, almost negligible, exceptions the absolute best dog for a prospective owner is a rescue dog.

With approx 100,000 dogs in rescue at any given time, dogs of every type, size and age, the perfect dog for your home is sitting in rescue right now.

Gone is the need to try to predict how a puppy will turn out - will it get too big? Will it be a good example of the breed, will it moult or will its temperament be unstable? Because you can see what you're getting. Many ailments that cannot be accurately predicted (including virtually every early onset disorder) can be ruled out by looking at the dog. No need to try and guess from its ancestors what it may become. It's already become. It's right there.

Having opted for an assesed adult rescue a potential owner has a greater choice and greater transparency than from any other source.

12. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I presently have five dogs, four of whom are rescues. In the past I have had 3 other rescues, now all sadly deceased. All 7 of my rescues have, without exception, made the most fantastic companions once they settled in. Any problems like escaping, chewing, lack of housetraining, seperation anxiety, nervous aggression etc have all been shortlived because I made the effort to give the dogs a fair chance and worked with them on their human-caused problems! I tend to go for dogs on personality and character, not colour, markings or coat so any problems they had were accepted along with them. But....not all rescue dogs have problems! Many don't and are in those shelters through no fault of their own! I did spend time once helping a shelter out and believe me, the amount of people who just try to choose a dog on looks is amazing! The plain black or black and tan crossbreeds tend to get overlooked in favour of the pretty coloured or pedigree type dogs and that is such a shame as they can make such great pets too! :confused:

When looking at rescue dogs, take your time and allow the staff there to help you to find dogs that are suitable for you and your family rather than just going on the dogs looks. Good rescues will dissuade you from having totally unsuitable dogs for your circumstances so take heed of their advice - they know more about the individual dogs than you do. ;)

Bear in mind too that rescue dogs may have been shoved from pillar to post even before finally ending up in rescue so allow your new dog to settle in and forgive it any transgressions in those early weeks! Sometimes the first thing a dog does when entering a new home is to mark it by peeing! That is totally natural. Just clean it up and don't fret. Sometimes your rescue dog may not play or be affectionate for a while. That again is natural. He does not know that this is his new home and may just be waiting until he is moved on again! When he comes home, let him explore and settle down without a stream of visitors coming along to excite or frighten him. :nonod: Dogs can sometimes settle straight away or they may take a few weeks. One of mine, my little old JR cross, Foxy took 3 months before she relaxed enough to show us affection as she had had six homes by the age of six months old!:eek:

Give a rescue dog a chance if a pet is what you are after! :thumbup:

So many are dying every day to make kennel space for the others waiting to come into rescue because there are not enough good homes coming forward! :(

13. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Having decided on a rescue, I thought we would have to jump through hoops (my aunt used to do cat protection league and would turn you down if you had dust in your house!). We had to fill in the forms about the house, if it was rented we had to show we had permission for a dog, we also had to discuss what would happen to the dog as we both work fulltime etc. Once we got through that, we then spoke to the person fostering the dog. She asked similar questions and the once we passed that, we had the home check. She checked the house (did we live where we said we did) and also the garden (size, is it secure etc). I actually pointed out a section of fence we were planning to reinforce as it had potential to be dug under. This went in our favour as we were honest and open. From application to picking up the dog was about 7 days.

14. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Links are very welcome. Please feel free to add them. Thanks to you all so far x

15. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I have only ever owned rescues.
    I would only ever own rescues as I have got more than I could possibly have ever imagined when I dreamed of owning a dog. So for me there has never been a need, or a curiosity to go down the breeder route.

I haven't rescued through any big organisations, as I live in Cyprus, so I cannot comment on home checks.
    My first dog, who was also my soul mate and the best thing that ever happened to me, was rescued a by a pet shop lady as he was found with his litter (mongerls) at about a week old with the mother dead. Every good intention was there but obviously being raised in a pet shop until finding a home has many setbacks. I got Nelson when he was about 9 weeks old and he hadn't been assessed for character or anything of the sort and I was only 13 ( living with my fanily, but I was entirely responsible for him and I am very proud of how seriously I took my duties). Despite this, he turned out to be better than the best dog I could have ever hoped for and to this day I don't think I will ever own a more obedient dog. Just to clarify that I am NOT encouraging getting a dog whe you are 13 which has not been assessed etc, but I just wanted to show that even a situation where the odds were against us, it worked out beutifully. In fact, it worked out better than anything I could have ever planned for. So bearing this in mind, in a rescue where the dogs are assessed and only taken on by adults, I really do not see why it can't work out:)

My second rescue is Bella. I got her at 3.5-4 months old, again privately. A farmer had found her starving on the highway and taken her in to prevent certain death, but she has not been taken to the vet, treated for parasites etc. When i got her she was in a dreadful state (emaciated, full fo worms, borken ribs)...but wwe managed to nurse her back to physical health. Emotionally, she was a bit harder and it took a good 6 months until I felt like she finally knew she belonged here. Partly also my fault because my heart was not always in it, even though I was providing more than enough in actions. I have had Bella almost a year now and she is the sweetest thing and I can't imagine life without her.

So, what I want to say is that I have never felt I am missing out on anything because I do not own a pedigree from a breeder.

I haven't had the opportunity to adopt from a proper organisation with helpful staff to provide me with information on the dog. Thsi is definitely a big advanatge offered by rescues, and one I would definitely make use of if I had the chance. I also think adopting an adult dog is the best option for many people who may not be able to offer a puppy eveyrthing it needs tu can make a perfect home for a grown dog very much in need. As has been mentioned, you know exactly what you are getting, and you are also saving a life. I plan to get my next dog in a couple fo years and I am thinking of getting an adult from a rescue.

16. Shamen

Shamen Guest

helping out/dog walking at rescues and sanctuarys are always appreciated and great ways for a potential new owner to meet the dogs and a great way to find the dog for them.

ive had 3 rescues all were older dogs all were lovely natured extremely loyal and settled in very quickly, although one did suffer separation anxiety but this boy became my 'dog in a lifetime' the most special dog i have ever owned or am ever likely to own, he was a gsd mix he was very bright and had a very comical personality when i tried to run away from him he would stop me by holding on to my shoe lol, he was a massive character i cant believe he was ever discarded in the 1st place, but so glad he was because i had the opportunity to get to know and love this amazing boy(Rinty was on death row at the RSPCA when i rescued him:thumbdown:)

when my cat who is also a rescue has passed i will definately be rescueing another dog, its the best feeling in the world:)

some great rescue organisations here.... but also checkout your local RSPCA because they do put dogs to sleep and you really could save a life.

Thornberry Animal Sanctuary

Home for www.manytears.co.uk

Home - The Little Dog Rescue

17. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home - EDCH Animal Welfare Shelter

http://www.dogaidsociety.com/

I got my little girl from the edinburgh cat and dog home last year. We went a few times and when we saw her we knew she was the one. They don't do home checks but you need to have proof that your landlord is ok with you having a dog (for rented accomodation). They are ok with most other aspects that big organisations may turn you down for. We live in a 2nd floor flat, with no garden, have a young child in the family and both are at uni and work part time. Although we usually onl leave her 4 hours, sometimes it is longer but they were fine with this as long as you had arrangements in place if it was all the time. They neuter ( most of the time depending on how long the dog has been there, and if not neutered they give vouchers), microchip, vaccinate and you also get given a 2.5kg bag of food, and also a leaflet on why the dog behaves as it does. It was our bible for the first couple of weeks :D. Oh and all the staff were lovely and didnt care if you asked tons of questions, they tried to answer as honestly as possible. :thumbup:

18. Bradleysmummy

Bradleysmummy PetForums Member

i have had 2 rescue dogs b4 , a lab and a border collie dodger, i rehomed him at 8 and he lived till about 12 and he was my soulmate , i loved him to bits and althou he was a little bugger at times you wouldnt believe the life he had had b4 he came to me , he was covered in scars and had an awful burn on his back. Althou we only had about 4 yrs together i no they were the best 4 yrs of his life and he died a happy dog and the feeling of knowing u've given them a second chance is the best feeling in the world....

I am now in the process of rehoming a trailhound Rudy, He is 10yrs old and has had a good life but is being rehome due to his familys breakup,I have my homecheck tomorrow morning (And am really nervous lol) I have a secure garden and nice size house but still feel nervous lol would be soo heartbroken if we get turned down, AAnyways fingers crossed and if we are accpeted we shall hopefully be collecting him tomorrow night.

The only thing i would say about rehoming a rescue dog is if u have small children (i have an 18mth old baby) then dont go for a dog that has been ill treated Most rehoming centers are very strict anyway , Althou my border collie dodger was lovely he would nip ppl if he felt nervous or scared and i would never of been able to have him around young children , where as rudy was brought up with kids and is fantasic with my daughter (He even let her attempt to put his muzzle on him lol)

I personally would never get a puppy pruely due to seeing theamount of dogs in rehoming centers and as someone else has said puppys are HARD WORK very hard work , Rescue dogs just want a warm bed and a loving home , i really cant wait to go and collect my new boy tomorrow and after 6mths in a kennel show him all the love his been missing :eek:)))

19. Dans Mum

Dans Mum PetForums Junior

I got my boy Dan from Dumfries and Galloway Canine Rescue:

Dumfries and Galloway Canine Rescue Centre rescue, care for and rehome stray, maltreated and unwanted dogs.

The staff were lovely and helpful and had gotten to know all of the dogs in their care - so we could trust their advice that Dan was the right boy for us!

He had one or two little medical issues which meant we couldn't collect him for a few weeks. But we were made to feel welcome to visit him every weekend so that coming to his new home wouldn't be such a trauma.

We have had him for about 3 months now and although he is still very frightened he is a lovely affectionate buy and is settling in well.

D and G canine rescue are well recommended - they often take in dogs from previous owners so know some history too!

20. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Can I make a plug for the oldies, I adopted Abby two years ago when she was 8 years old ( she came from Wales ), taking on an older dog has been fantastic, they aren't all doddery or on their last legs, far from it most of them can keep up with hairy younger members of the family and can also teach them a thing or two. I have also had no problem in getting Abby insured so please don't let that put any one of getting an oldie.
    A wee plug for a rescue that my sister's mate helps run Borders Animal Welfare Association and also for the Oldies Club

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice