Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting the litter locker 2

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KoolK, Apr 14, 2020.

1. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

Thanks to @ScruffyCat I looked into the Litter locker (fashion) & now I'm considering it.

Not talking about litter locker 2 (discontinued), but the FASHION one.

@lymorelynn could you please change title (from 2 - fashion)?

But I'd like to ask some questions to those who've got it:

1. Do you notice any smells when you open it?

2. How long do the refills last for you? I have one cat, how long would it roughly last for me? She goes 2x a day.

3. Is it expensive to get the refills say compared to the standard nappy bags I use? :p

4. Would a standard disposal bag work as well as the refill cartridges in odour control?

5. Do you (overall) recommend it? Why?

@lymorelynn @chillminx I saw that you have a litter locker too, what's your take on it? :)

Thank you!

#1 KoolK, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi KK, yes I have one of the old Litter Lockers (model 2, I believe).

To answer your questions -

1/ No I don't notice any smells when I open it, but I don't put poo in it only wet clumps.

2/ Refill cartridges last a couple of months, perhaps more. I only use the litter locker for emptying the 2 upstairs litter trays. I empty the downstairs litter trays into the kitchen bin every day which then gets bagged and put in the outdoor wheelie-bin at the end of the day.

3/ I use Angelcare refill cartridges from Amazon. Pack of 3 = £13.49 + free delivery. Cheaper than the Litter Locker refills and just as good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angelcare-...cartridge+refills&qid=1586903138&sr=8-2-fkmr1

4/ I definitely wouldn't put empty food tins in the litter locker, they would take up too much room and also could tear the plastic of the cartridge.

Tins should not go to landfill but after being washed they should go in the recycling bin (orange lid) which you get supplied by your local council.

5/ By a standard disposal bag do you mean a black plastic bin bag? I have never used them in the LL, but I know some people do, so I assume it must be OK.

6/ Yes I like the Litter Locker:) Main reason is convenience. Mine is kept in the bathroom. Without it I'd have to carry the used litter downstairs twice a day. An ordinary pedal bin wouldn't contain odours as well as the Littler locker does.

ScruffyCat and KoolK like this.
  3. ScruffyCat

ScruffyCat PetForums Senior

Hi @KoolK

Sorry I should have stated it was a little locker fashion 2. I dont think you can purchase the others anymore.

It's such a convenient way to deal with lifes 'unmentionables' it doesnt smell as it has a little shelf so you put the 'unmentionables' in the top, close the lid and pull to release the shelf. This will safely and cleanly place the 'unmentionables' in the bag underneath...

I get about a month out of a cartridge and you can either by cheaper replacement cartridges online or by refills (make sure you get a refill with a cardboard tube otherwise refilling is near on impossible!!)

I use biodegradable litter so if I am gardening I will empty the bag in the soil or it goes in the bin. I am on the hunt for compostable bags but I am yet to find any.

I recommend it as it's a convenient and hygienic - I am a bit of a neat freak and cannot stand a messy litter tray so having the LL located next to the litter tray in downstairs loo means that I can dispose of the 'unmentionables' as they appear
    I'm sure the girls appreciate it too

KoolK likes this.
  4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Very happy with mine as I have multiple litter trays around the house and I can just take the litter locker to them.
    I don't use the cartridges any more but use a bin liner secured around an empty cartridge. With my two girls I only use one bag a week (Greenwoods clumping litter) but need to use a couple once I have a litter of kittens using the litter trays.
    There's no smell from the locker. It doesn't attract flies in the summer.
    I'm more than happy to recommend it.

KoolK likes this.
  5. KoolK

Thank you for your reply :)

Could you link any cheaper refills please?

I haven't found any refills that would work on the newer model (it's not round anymore).

I'm planning on only using it for litter clumps, poop will be flushed. Will this last longer?

Do you only have the one cat?

Thank you!

6. KoolK

You use normal bin liners and there's no smell? Because of that smell slider thing (? :p ) right, the one you pull and push back in?

Do the bin liners still work, even though this new one isn't round?

Thanks!

7. lymorelynn

Staff Member

The slider traps the odour and the bags work just as well. My main kitchen bin is oblong and is quite happy with normal bin bags :D
    For litter locker I just buy a roll of small bin liner bags - I think they're the 25l ones. I do buy buy the scented ones sometimes but it doesn't make any difference - I can't smell those either once they're in use

KoolK likes this.
  8. KoolK

Would you mind linking the bin liners you buy?
    I'm worried I'll stupidly buy the wrong ones and they won't work :p

Edit:
    @chillminx
    Would these work for the litter locker (fashion)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07YYFTXJM/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I will be only using it for number 1's. The other will be flushed.
    Also, I use the cats best Oko cat litter if that helps, not clay, so it won't be heavy or smell as much.

#8 KoolK, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  9. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Greenwood litter, which I use is virtually the same as Oko and I put everything in the bin. I worry too much about clogging the drains to flush any.
    Sorry I can't do a link as I just pick up a roll of liners from Poundland or Wilko whenever I need one. I don't keep the outer wrapper. Just look for pedal bin size

KoolK likes this.
  10. KoolK

Ah okay.
    Thank you.
    Is the one I linked above okay? I edited my comment.

11. lymorelynn

Staff Member

KoolK likes this.
  12. KoolK

13. KoolK

14. ScruffyCat

KoolK likes this.
  15. ScruffyCat

16. KoolK

17. ScruffyCat

I can get about 6 weeks out of 1 cartridge- that's with 2 kitties and they are indoor too. I empty it out once a week when I deep clean the litter tray...
    I havent tried the loose bags but thought they looked like a cheaper refill alternative...
    Never thought of using a biodegradable bin bag tho! Top tips!!!

KoolK likes this.
  18. KoolK

Update:

I've ordered the litter locker from Amazon. Will see how long it lasts and if I end up liking it... Hopefully I do! :p

If all goes well I'll buy the additional bags / refills, whatever works.

Thank you :)

ScruffyCat and lymorelynn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice