Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking Of Getting Some Guinea Pigs

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Beccaboo, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Beccaboo

Beccaboo PetForums Junior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Am Thinking About Getting A Guinea Pig Or Maybe 2
    I Just Need Some Information On Them
    So Could Anyone Help Me And Answer Some Of MY Questions If Possible

Are Guinea Pigs Good With Children ?

Do They Like To Be Held ?

Will They Just Sit On Your Lap And Fall Asleep ?

Do They Bite Or Scatch At All ?

Are They Good With Other Animals , As I Have A REALLY Teeny Tiny Chihuahua , Who Is As Soft As Anything Would They/It Be Ok With Her ?

And If I Do Get Some Which Would Be Better Female/s OR Male/s

Do They Smell ? As I Heard From My Friend They Do Smell Really BAD !!

Do They Get Ill Much ? , Do They Get Any Dieseases Etc ?

And In My Garden I Dont Have Grass , Do They Really Need Grass
    And What Are Their Favourite Treats ?

Thanks Soo Much

2. dottylotty

dottylotty PetForums Member

Are Guinea Pigs Good With Children ? they can be, just as long as your willing to take care of them if children loose interest.

Do They Like To Be Held ? they do, they can be shy at first but the more you handle them the more they will get used to you

Will They Just Sit On Your Lap And Fall Asleep ? that depends on the piggy, mine do get comfy on me and will occasionally go for a wander around but will come back to you

Do They Bite Or Scatch At All ? my guinea pigs nibble not really bite, a piggy will rarely bite you.

Are They Good With Other Animals , As I Have A REALLY Teeny Tiny Chihuahua , Who Is As Soft As Anything Would They/It Be Ok With Her ? i wouldn't let them play with your dog but they wont bother them my guinea pigs are very interested in my kitties and keep going up and sniffing them.

And If I Do Get Some Which Would Be Better Female/s OR Male/s that really depends on preference females can be a bit more independent don't smell as much, if you want to keep more than 2 piggies females are the way to go. boys can be a bit smellier but they can be lots of fun and a bit cuddlier, though there is a possibility that your 2 boars may not get on and fight so may need splitting, but can have really funky characters. i have 2 girls and one boy who is neutered.

Do They Smell ? As I Heard From My Friend They Do Smell Really BAD !! they will only smell bad if you dont keep on top of cleaning their hutch/cage

Do They Get Ill Much ? , Do They Get Any Dieseases Etc ? they can get ill, they can be prone to UTI's, bladder stones, Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig this site will give you good information, you may find the diet and housing section helpful, important to make sure your guinea pig is given plenty of good hay like timothy to help with their teeth and plenty of vegetables with vitamin C.

And In My Garden I Dont Have Grass , Do They Really Need Grass
    And What Are Their Favourite Treats ? i dont have grass either my piggies stay indoors, they love vegetables for treats and wooden toys to chew on. you could always grow them a little pot of grass

hope this helps i am sure there will someone else to give you more information. i would recommend getting 2 guinea pigs 1 piggy would be lonely they are social animals:D and they are gorgeous be warned they can get addictive.

#2 dottylotty, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. ddmacwil

ddmacwil PetForums Newbie

My children have had guinea pigs since they were toddlers (my eldest daughter is 21 now and still has a pet guinea pig called Polgara). Of course when your kids are young they need to be supervised and taught how to properly care, feed and handle them. And like dottylotty said you need to be prepared to take over their care if your children lose interest.

Guinea pigs are social creatures so getting 2 at the same time is a good idea but make it 2 girls, two boys or a mixed pair only if you want a lot more guinea pigs. Never put a female with 2 or more males or they will fight to win the girl's affections.

Once hand tame they will enjoy daily exercise and social time with the family. A lawn is a good place for this but time on the floor is ok too. My 11 year old spends time with her guinea pig every day sitting on the couch watching TV and hand feeding her. Little Polnedra gets quite a bit of "pocket" time too.

Guinea pigs are delicious prey animals so I wouldn't try to get them to mix with your other pets especially the "meat" eaters. I have known dogs to enjoy a tasty piggy treat and when guinea pigs run away to hide it is hard to distract an excited dog from giving chase. Thankfully we have never had this problem and our dog is quite content to lie on the floor and watch them but I would never leave the room.

A healthy guinea pig has a sweet smell when you sniff hem so if their cage is smelly you are not changing the bedding often enough or using the wrong type.

Guinea pigs do have delicate constitutions but most illnesses can be avoided with proper nutrition and care.

If you want to learn more about caring for guinea pigs before you make your final decision, head over to http://www.adoptaguineapigsite.com/ and get the free 10 part 'Guinea Pig Adoption Secrets' eCourse. It may answer some of your questions about choosing a guinea pig as a family pet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice