Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting a second cat, advice welcome

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by claire484, Jun 29, 2009.

1. claire484

claire484 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,
    It's been nearly three months since we adopted Sky our neutered female dsh 4 year old rescue cat. She is very loving, calm and affectionate. I have been at home during this time, so she is used to company. In September I will be returning to work (8am til 4pm), and my OH and I are worried that she may get lonely in the day (it appears she is a house cat, we have tried taking her outside on many occasions but she doesn't like it). We were wondering whether it would be good to get a second cat- some company for Sky when I am at work, and we feel able to take a second cat on.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice, is this a good idea? We were thinking it might be best to get a younger cat, that way Sky would still be 'top cat'. Would it be ok to get a neutered male, or would a female be better?

Thanks!

Claire

2. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

I personally think that cats are always happier in pairs. It shouldn't matter what sex the new addition is but I would def. get a younger kitten. You may get territory probs if you bring in an older cat, and Sky will prob be more tolerant of a little one too.

Good luck x

3. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Hi, there are loads of threads with advice on introducing a new cat.

In summary it seems hard to assess the difficulty until it happens. But getting a similar aged cat might be easier as a kitten might be too much stress for your existing cat and an older cat may try to be more dominant.

Good luck though, the company would be nice for her especially as she is a house cat. I have two house cats, they were no introductions needed and they get on fine as they are mother and son.

It seems with enough patience most cats will get to be the best of friends or at least tolerate each other!

4. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Cats are naturally very sociable animal so the idea of getting another cat would be fine, i would suggest a younger cat so that the other one doesnt see the new cat/kitten as a threat, personally i would get a male and have his nuetered. once you get him within a few days they will be the best of buddies, good luck .........Chris.

5. claire484

Thanks for the advice, think we'll keep our eyes open for the next few weeks and see if anything comes up at the RSPCA or CPL.
    Here's a couple of recent pictures of Sky too:

Attached Files:

6. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Awww, what a cute little girl!

Yes, she def needs a friend!

7. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Yeah.....Get one!!

8. claire484

Thanks again, we've started looking, and the CP should be doing a homecheck for us soon,- if that goes well then we will have a look at some of their kittens!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice