Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting a friend for Kevin

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Chlodoe, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Chlodoe

Chlodoe PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I adopted my chinchilla Kevin about 18 months ago, he is about three years of age. I adopted him off a couple who were moving away and couldn't take him with them. Over that past 18 months I have updated his cage to a critter nation cage and purchased an air conditioner to ensure he is kept cool in our second floor flat. I spend a lot of time with him but am toying with the idea of getting him a friend. I would be looking at getting him a young Male friend as I don't think I would like to risk putting him under to have him neutered. He does have a stuffed chin buddy but I know that isn't the same as a real life companion.

Obviously I have his old cage after updating his current cage so do have the ability to do the bonding period, however don't have the space to permanently keep two chinchillas separate. I am looking for success stories (and failures) on bonding chinchillas as I would be devastated if I lost Kevin (or the new chin for that matter), so want to make sure if I do manage to find him a pal that it goes well.

If you fancy checking out Kevin's digs and what he is up to check out @achincalledkevin on Instagram.

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

C

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

Kevin looks lovely.
    Unfortunately if you aren't able to have two cages permanently I would say its best not to get another. If he's in a single critter nation could having a double be possible that way it can be split in two if needed, one section is plenty of room for a pair let alone a single chin.
    It is rarer that I have ones that don't get along at all but that also comes with experience doing pairings. However there are instances where chins that have been living together for years suddenly start fighting so have to be housed separately and from being on various chin groups it isn't so uncommon as to not need to mention it.

3. Bjarki the Hooli

Bjarki the Hooli PetForums Junior

In your experience: which characteristics in a male chin are more predictive of a successful introduction? I am very much in Chlodoe situation, with the difference that my boy (also a rescue) is not very human friendly. He does not nip as much as he used to, loves playtime (he is great fun) and lately has been accepting the occasional scratch under the chin but only if bribed with a bit of dandelion salad. Could he be more accepting of his own species?

4. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

Unfortunately there's no real way to know till you try. Which is why in my opinion its always best to have a back up, I don't think its fair to get another and just rehome if it doesn't work out.

The only ones of mine that I'd be near enough certain of pairings working with absolutely any chinchilla they came across would be those that really don't do anything whomever they're put with. Those ones are good as they literally just sit there without a care in the world and ignore the other chin.

Tiggers likes this.
  5. Bjarki the Hooli

Bjarki the Hooli PetForums Junior

I cannot agree more with you, and this is the reason I have been waiting for Bjarki's rescue to get another male chin. I do not know if all rescues have similar policies, but that particular one gives the adopter a month trial which, which seems to be long enough for a proper introduction. If it does not work, the chin goes back to rescue, with no harm done.

The detail you mentioned, that the best chin would be a laid back one is a good guide for questions to ask the rescue about the prospective companion. When I got him, Bjarki was a live wire and a grumpy one at that: Although he still is a bit bossy I am confident that with all the help one gets in this forum I will be better informed when the time come to find him a companion.

6. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I never had a problem pairing my chinchillas, but they were either females or male/female. I never tried to pair makes together as I always had females and heard that females in the same room could cause the males to fight.

I did rescue a group of four male chinchillas but kept them in a different room. They were fine together to begin with but the fitter they became troubles started and I split them into two pais that worked.

I had no problems with castrating male chinchillas, I had several rescues done and some of my own when I gave up breeding. Most vets should be able to do it, my local vet did my males and I had no issues. Introducing a young female to a male can normally be done without issues if it's not rushed. The only thing that would concern me is whether an older chinchilla who has never had a companion would accept a mate. I've know some who have been paired successfully, but a few have gotten used to being loners and wouldn't accept a cage mate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice