Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting a dog/puppy ?? The realities.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Nov 25, 2010.

1. diceydeb

diceydeb PetForums Newbie

oooh and dont u hate the advert with the fluffy white terrier on the immaculate floor in the immaculate house playin with the car keys....errr get real, never in a million years would your house look like !:eek:

2. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

I love this one.. we were having a chat about this last night... I have never owned so many PJ's, warm slippers and thick dressing gowns... lmao

3. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I have full on LOVED this thread, have not stopped laughing all the way through, and not once has it put me or my OH off getting our puppies.

No doubt you'll all be inundated with threads of what the little mites have done once we get them haha

4. Crystal Palace Doggie Day

Crystal Palace Doggie Day PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I agree, i have a 17 year old whippet who is now very dependant on me! Luckily, i have started a doggie day care in London meaning i dont have to be away from him. He has daily medication and is very attached, hates being alone. Needs to be carried up and down stairs, very regular vet visits to monitor his weight and any new health conditions.

Puppies and dogs alike are great but its a very long commitment. I feel so blessed to still have my dog at 17 years old but for people who cannot see where they will be in a few years time i just wouldnt recomend it. Too many dogs are in homes and shelters because people cannot afford them or do ont have time to care for them.

Of course being at work all day is something that can be sorted out by sending them to a doggie day care such as mine but it costs money and requires commitment.

Its horrible to think that our daily lifes could prevent us ever owning a dog but you wouldnt have a baby and leave them while you go to work and although most dogs do not require the care of a baby, they need love, attention, feeding, wee wees and training.

Being at home for 8 hours every day is just no life for a dog :-(

Good luck everyone :)

#104 Crystal Palace Doggie Day, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
    Barbaraandsky likes this.
  5. mgarr

mgarr PetForums Junior

thats so true that dogs depend on you all there life

6. toci

toci PetForums Newbie

Your dog is beautiful! :)

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Thank you - they know! And welcome to the forum:001_smile:

8. frank911

frank911 PetForums Newbie

owning a puppy or a dog is a life long responsibility. you need to feed them walk and take care of them for the rest of your life. but the companionship is worth it. i have two dog and i am totally in love with them

9. Houseofpets

Houseofpets PetForums Member

Our 2 year old Border Collie has wrecked my lawn, trashed my flower borders (now have some horrible looking thing around them to stop them being trampled altogether), decides not to finish the mouthful of water she is drinking before walking away from the bowl - leaving me a trail of water and slobber all over the floor, tries to clean the plates in the dishwasher before I get to switch it on, loves nothing more than to sit on my lap and kiss me (generally does this while very muddy or wet) and thinks the nice clean duvet I have just put on my bed MUST be for her......after all someone put really muddy footprints on!!! :blink::blink:

She is well trrained and will never just run off once we take the lead off, she has to wait to be dismissed - the other day we let her off and told her to wait whilst some cyclists came past, comment from one of them was 'isn't she a good' - to which her friend replied 'that's because she's a Border Collie'! Do they think that these dogs train themselves then seeing as they are so clever!!!? :rolleyes::

Wouldn't be without her at all though, she brightens me day from morning til night x

10. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Unfortunately, she sounds like the type who will go and buy a bc pup because she thinks they are all like that.

11. victoriaaa

victoriaaa PetForums Senior

I love this post.
    I can totally see why parents said NO! to me having a dog after our spaniel sadly died when i was 3, literally all my life until i was 20 and bought my own.

Dogs are like babies that never grow up, you contantly have to pick up their poop, bathe them and wipe mess from their bums etc. My green lawn is literally a few patches of grass, and there is no point me even planting pretty flowers in spring because she will eat them. As for the house, i mop mop and remop the floors constantly, thank goodness for leather sofa's.

Walking attire? you will see me in wellies on even the hottest days. But lookily for me the walking in the rain thing isnt that big of problem because Jessies a wimp and will turn and head home when shes decided shes has enough of the english weather!

Diareah, sickness.. oh and they dont stay puppies for long.

12. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

A few years ago my thirteen year old niece was staying with us during her hols. She was constantly nagging me to get her a dog/puppy. I tried pointing out the pitfalls and told her that , in my opinion, she wasn't ready to look after a dog but she kept on and on in that interminable way that young
    teenagers do.
    At the end of the first week, I got up at my usual 6.30 a.m. to find a howling westerly gale driving the rain parralel to the ground. I decided to wake said teen and point out that she'd have to get up and take the dogs for a walk as I had a pressing appointment elsewhere. ( A complete fabrication but one I felt justified in.) After much grumbling she did as she was told, and donning suitable clothing took dogs for walk.
    She never pestered me about a dog again.

13. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

I sit here reading this and looking at my walnut lounge floor which until an hour ago was dust bunnie free and not littered with torn white raggy knot given to junior in the midst of his chewing phase, I'm also looking at the dust settlement on the sky box and wondering if I'll ever have a dust free TV screen to watch it with. Why is the flooring walnut? To hide the scratches from the claws and make it easier to vac, daily.

House proud, moi - NON

14. tashaA

tashaA PetForums Member

Man I sure wish I had read this thread before getting puppy.

I love her to bits but if I could go back, I would probably NOT get a dog..

15. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

No one has mentioned yet the fateful step backwards while holding something "precious" only to realize there's a furry hurdle which sneaked behind you...

It's all fine saying the dog is for the children as you realize you will end up being responsible for it. It's another thing to cope with how jealous the children are when the dog apparently bonds with you more rather than them.

It can also be a problem when you realize that no matter how much you train your dog and your children, one or the other can do stupid things which means you can't leave them alone together unsupervised.

16. Spud the Bull Terrier

Spud the Bull Terrier PetForums Senior

this is a good thread and it s something that all would be dog owners should be forced to read.

just to add my own two pence worth here are my thoughts:

Walking:
    People see you walking your dog on a summer day and think its all sunshine and nice little walks, what they don’t always realise or understand is that a dog is going to need to be walked twice a day, every day for the rest of its life. Depending on the breed these walks could be an hour long(or longer). Try getting up at 5am on a cold and wet winters morning and walking round a field for an hour in the dark, being battered by the rain and sleet, then think to yourself that you’re going to do this twice a day for the next 15 years.

Getting a lie in

Your dog does not understand weekends, holidays, hangovers, or the fact that you had a late night and want to catch up on some sleep. Your dog will want to get up at the same time every day and go for a walk.

Toilet training.
    Some people seem to be labouring under the impression that puppies will automatically know that its bad to go to the toilet in the house. Unfortunately they don’t really care were they go to the toilet. It takes a lot of hard work to toilet train a dog. If you’re lucky you will spend a few weeks having to clean pooh off your carpet, if you’re unlucky it could go on for months or even years.

Training
    I think people see a well behaved dog walking well on the lead, and think that that is how they come. They don’t see the years of training and frustration that it took to get to that point. Nor do they appreciate that training is not just a one off event. You don’t just take your dog to a few weeks of puppy classes and they are trained. It’s a continuous thing that goes on for the dog’s entire life

House proud
    If you are house proud you are going to be in for a shock. Try picturing all your nice furniture after your dog has chewed it, jumped on it with muddy feet, slobbered on it, left fur all over it, tried humping it, and then chewed it some more, then multiply those activates by 100. That is what your entire house will look like.

Freedom and your social life.

If you enjoy the spontaneous life, being able to go away on the weekend, or go out with friends after work, you might as well forget it now. Having a dog means that you have to organise your life around them. Everything you do, every plan you make your dogs are going to have to be factored in. If you’re thinking that you will just take your dog with you, think again. Having a dog with you when you go on holiday takes a lot of forward planning. You need to find places that allow dogs and then if you’re planning on going anywhere during the day you have to plan around your dog. There are a limited number of places you can take your dog.

Vets bills
    If your lucky your dog will only need to see the vet once a year, however if your unlucky and the dog needs serious veterinary treatment, it could easily run in to thousands of pounds.

long term commitment

I don’t think that everyone who is getting a dog always thinks about the long term commitment involved. If you’re a good dog owner, theb dog is going to be with you for 10-15 years. Regardless of what happens in your life, that dog is going to need you. I think every one who is thinking about getting a dog should think to themselves in 15 years time I am going to be 45 years old(or however old they will be) and think about all the things that could potentially happen in that time, are they going to have children, are they going to move house, are they going to change jobs. Then think about how a dog is going to factor in to their lives,and if their circumstances change are they going to be able to still look after their dog.

#116 Spud the Bull Terrier, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    Barbaraandsky likes this.
  17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Don't know if I mentioned this one, but when you have a puppy out, everyone assumes you have never had a dog before and need their advice. I would suggest borrowing an older dog to take along as well, then the know it alls leave you alone!

18. kirstymac

kirstymac PetForums Newbie

all of those things are very true. I have had a new pup for few days and they are full time. its my first pup so any hints or tips on house training would be great... im terrified i confuse him more

19. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You need to watch him like a hawk, look for any sign of him sniffing about and when he does, pick him up and take him outside. Stay with him until he has done whatever he has to do, then give him lots of treats and fuss. If you miss him and he does start to go indoors, again just pick him up and take him out.

It is extremely important that you never scold him for going indoors. The dog does not know you are cross because he went indoors, he thinks you are cross because he went at all. That will mean that he associates being told off with you, which in turn will mean that he won't go outside if you are there. He will find places to hide to do his business, because he only gets scolded if you are there.

I hope that makes some sense. If you are consistent with the praise when he goes in the right place, ignoring it when he goes in the wrong place, it won't take long before he is asking to go outside.

20. carball

carball PetForums Newbie

I can't agree any more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice