Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting a dog/puppy ?? The realities.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Nov 25, 2010.

1. JohnMorris

JohnMorris Banned

I suppose our boys weigh a total of about 10 stone but agree with everything you say including your signature. The benefits well outweigh the downsides of having dogs.

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

pmsl :lol:

my most embarrassing 'dog hair' moment was when our friends travelled with us in our car to a funeral:eek:.... despite my Son hoovering the car 'thoroughly':rolleyes: when we got out at the church All our black clothes were covered in fur!:blush2:....we were all trying to keep a straight face as we tried to brush each other down:eek: not good to be seen laughing at a funeral is it:eek6: lol

Wow i never thought of it as nose art before! Brilliant:thumbup:

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I haven't read any replies past the first page yet, as I wanted to add some of the things that have changed in my life since I got a dog last year. I'll just list them as they come to me, although I am sure that many have been covered already. To put things in perspective, I had previously kept 2 cats for 10 years so thought I was used to "pet ownership".

Filfthy couches
    My cream leather couches are now permanently filfthy beyond belief. They need thououghly washing down 3-4 times per week and they'll never again look like they did the day before I brought my puppy home.
    Some might say "Well I won't be letting my dog on my couches" BUT it's not quite as easy as that. Dogs sometimes get scared or sick. They might be scared of the hoover or scared of fireworks...you can bet your life that they'll run straight into the living room and jump up on a couch (even if they are trained not to) in their fright. Be prepared for this. Dogs can't take their shoes off like humans can. Whatever they've stepped in will be on your couches. That means sh1t too.

Filfthy walls
    Your dog will find a natural place to sleep. My dog's area is at the front door. The benefit of this is i) Draught exclusion and ii) He'd be aware if someone were trying to get in. The disadvantage of this is that dogs coats accumulate tiny particles of dust and dirt in the same way that a carpet does. After a few months (or even weeks), there will be a big dirty mark on the wall next to where your dog has been sleeping.

Expenditure
    Within 6 weeks of owning my dog, I realised that I was going to have to spend some unexpected money on the garden. He was digging the place up. I would let him out into the garden, turn my back for 2 seconds and low behold there would be a new meteor crater in the lawn...dogs dig VERY big holes VERY quickly. You can't fill these holes in easily as the excavated soil is spread everywhere. I had to fork out £800 to have the patio area decked and fenced in with a gate to prevent access to the garden.

Other things to be aware of are food bills and medication. Before I got a dog I was aware that a few tins of food, mixer and flea treatments would cost around £3-£4 each from Asda and would need to be bought on a frequent basis. When the puppy arrived, he was being fed a food called "Royal Canin" which I had never heard of in my life. Turns out it costs £47 a bag. The flea treatment (spray for the carpets and drops for the dog) came to £70 at the vets. Why didn't I just change the dog's food to something else? I tried. I ended up with a nightmare dog. Just google "Is bakers good for dogs?" to see why. Also, Bob Martin flea treatment doesn't work.

Say goodbye to your carpets
    A dog's paw is very different to a cat's paw. Cats will clean themselves fastidiously. Dogs won't. End of story.
    To get an idea of how your carpets will hold up, try strapping a soaking wet bath sponge to each foot with elastic bands, trample around your garden for a few minutes and then come back inside and run around your house as if searching for a lost lottery ticket that might have 6 winning numbers.
    After doing this for a few minutes, take off the sponges and go explore your carpets. Now would be a good time to think about whether having a dog will upset you or anyone else who lives in your house.

Just how cold can cold be?
    I never knew how Siberian the British weather can feel at 10pm on a cold January evening before I got a dog. I do now.
    I also now know just how painful putting your frozen feet into a bowl of warm water is.
    I discovered that none of the creams designed for "fixing broken capillaries on your nose caused by moving from a warm environment into a cold one and back again" actually work and that the best form of cure is prevention via a large scarf wrapped around your face before you steel yourself for the freezing fog at 7AM in the winter.
    I also found out that dogs with a longer coat around their legs collect "snowballs" that take hours to melt once back inside and magnify the dirt problem.

The show must go on

Being a dog owner is like being an actor. It doesn't matter how depressed, ill or 'off colour' you feel, you need to accept that 'the show must go on'. By this, I mean that you will meet many people when you walk your dog in the same places each day and you will get to know eachother quite well. Some days you won't be feeling your best or even like company, but you'll bump into one of your 'doggy friends' and they'll join you walking around your regular route as you walk your dog. You best put on that smile and enjoy the conversation for the next 15 minutes, and make sure you've showered and dressed before going out etc. otherwise you'll feel terrible bumping into them looking like such a scruff.
    Your alternative is a walk around the streets or not go out at all...this is fine if you can cope with your dog tearing your house apart and biting you by 11.30pm due to all his pent up energy.

Getting less things done
    I'll end it with getting less things done.
    You can no longer just decide to stay at a friends for an extra hour before rushing to the supermarket for groceries. If you do that, it might be dark by the time you get home and then what will you do about getting the dog walked? Hello 11.30pm destruction hour and personal guilt.
    Nope, you'll just have to accept that there will be so much stuff you now have to put off until tomorrow due to the fact that the dog needs to be walked by 7pm. That drives some people mad.

If you've read this whole thread up to my post though and are still convinced that a dog is for you, I'd say go for it. At least you'll be prepared and welcome to the club!

:thumbup:

babycham2002 likes this.
  4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Forgot to mention that you will have thick, thick dust in places you cannot possible get at. Dust gets absolutely everywhere, including on your clothes in the upstairs wardrobe! Classix cream leather sofa just reminded me to warn you to be prepared to buy all future furniture second hand off Ebay! You can get some good bargains as long as you are prepared to collect and then you won't care what the dog does to it.

Earlier this year I got a black leather armchair for £5.50 :thumbup:

5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

What on earth are you talking about?

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Spam :rolleyes: I reported it ;)

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

*sigh* thought I was the only one with permanently dirty walls :lol:
    I find a mixture of stardrops and warm water gets it off nicely :)

8. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

One more....Get used to the fact that your neighbours will see you in your dressing gown, with bed hair and no make up. Regularly.

Oh and remember those nice sexy skimpy nightwear you used to wear for your OH's benefit/your OH used to wear for your benefit (delete as appropriate)...yes? Well thats just what they'll become...a memory...as they are replaced with full length pyjama bottoms and bed socks more suited to letting the dog out in the middle of the night and for waving at the neighbours at first light!!!

p.s does anybody else's neighbours still delight in having aconversation over the fence whilst your stood there bleary eyed in your nightwear??!!!!:001:rolleyes:

9. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

Oh and skirting boards...apparently they are not meant to be fur coated and mud splattered.....nor is there supposed to be fluff between the skirting board and the carpet....you know the stuff? Unreachable by hoover or broom and demands you get on your hands and knees to clean at which point you get your face licked or a toy thrust into it - because if you are on your knees it must be time to play.....:lol::lol::lol:

10. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

NEVER pull furniture out when you have guests over :eek: guaranteed to make you look like a total scumbag :D

11. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

and be prepared to have to redo your homework, cos 'the dog ate my homework' is a valid thing to happen but does not work with the teacher, my son is now redoing his homework!

I have walked a marathon in the couple of months i have had my puppy and will probably do a million more in his lifetime, but his whole back end waggle when he sees me, i would walk to the moon for.

And the look of 'oops' was that important he gave my son when he had his homework in his mouth and my son realised and went into meltdown!

Doggy kisses become the only ones i get!

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Doggy kisses are the best in the world! One of my newfies, Joshua, likes to lay across my lap, with his head on my chest and he turns round and licks my face. Irresistible!

13. xhuskyloverx

xhuskyloverx PetForums VIP

O no! Shouldn't laugh!! lol Thats not good!! :eek6:

I often sit at college and say to my mate 'o i think you've got a bit of bella fur on your arm' shes never even met the dogs!! but it comes off me all the time lol. Its even worse when shes moulting and as i'm sure you know it comes out in clumps!!! Now that gets everywhere!! lol

14. shepherd mush

shepherd mush PetForums Member

I love my dogs ; but here's my realities - they are two and one year old

The big male - destroys my garden (mainly concreted now)
    i can never get to know a person with a cat
    i am whinged at at 6:00 am every morning for walkies
    and several other times in a day
    for the first year and a half he wouldn't "heel"
    forever brings you his ball

The little princess - owns my house
    still requires my friend to nanny her 3 nights a week
    still occasionally eats poo :eek:
    destroys expensive kitchen appliances if left alone
    woofs at children when they least expect it :eek:

15. Sarahjones

Sarahjones PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your tips. I agree with all your points as they are realities and experienced by all those who own a pet.
    I have seen many telling me that their pets do not Pee or Poo inside their compound and they are fully confident on their training and I too have seen that their dogs pee and poo only during the walk. It will even bark and call out the owner when it needs to pee or poo.
    I think this all depends on training, but initially everyone must be patient and experience all these difficulties.

16. beaglebarmy

beaglebarmy PetForums Junior

I know I'm late to the party here but this is honestly one of the funniest threads I have ever read. :thumbup:

I have done NO work at all this afternoon but have instead sat with a cup of tea on the sofa (a snoozing dog each side of me like a pair of bookends) and chuckled and laughed my way through every single post.

:lol::lol::lol:

RAINYBOW likes this.
  17. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

:eek::eek::eek:...always been seen with fresly scooped poo in a plastic bag..or scrapping it off the pavement...

..best shoes go first....

..never chews both socks of our pair...

...chases police car in area where dogs are not allowed off lead...

.surreptitiously wees on your neighbour shopping bag while you are talking...

......it hardly ends there...

18. davisdog

davisdog PetForums Newbie

but my dog piss everywhere... huf... need to training it...

19. Vegliacich

Vegliacich PetForums Newbie

Good post... Don't forget growling. My girlfriends sister just got a new jack russell and it hates everyone (unless) he's getting a treat. But we think with enough love, he'll come around.

20. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

You have not lived until you have experienced the smell of dog poo coming from the back of the car - while stuck in two lanes of stationary traffic! (Denial sets in at first of course - it must be a fart ... but no it is the real thing!) And by the time you get home your dog has stood in it, has sat in it and had a lay down in it as well.

This happened to me once when bringing my sick JR home from the vets. Not her fault of course - but one to watch out for!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice