Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting a dog/puppy ?? The realities.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

another thing to add....at times they will have you in floods of tears walking in public!!!! i`ve just come home and i dunno whats got into jake in the past 24 hours but i honestly felt like letting his lead go as he`s just gone bonkers and his toileting has gone out the window. he was great at going outdoors and in the past 24 hours he`s started peeing everywhere including on the bed for no reason and out on walks he`s been a nightmare....the reason? he`s hitting puppy teenage years and teething like mad so it`s perfectly normal but trust me it doesn`t feel like it whilst it`s happening!

2. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Hahaha brilliant thread made me laugh :thumbup:!

Coming from someone who currently has an 11 week old puppy, it can be hell lols! I am literally exhausted! Not because he cries or anything at night, he just doesnt go to sleep till after 12 and gets up at 6ish :rolleyes:. This morning i got him outside in time and he peed and pooped :D! Then brought him in, fed him - went to take him back outside about 10 minutes later and he had already peed on the newspaper in the living room :rolleyes:. Thinking i'll just clean this up and take him out for a mess ... by the time I had cleaned it up (about 2 minutes!) he had went and messed in my room :)! An hour later, take him outside - FREEZING COLD MIND! - nothing at all for 20 minutes .. go back in to get the phone and I find out the reason he's done nothing at all is because hes already left me a present in front of the television :scared:. He then proceeds to dip his paws in the water bowl all morning, making the hall and living room floors very wet! But ovbiously, being a newfie he isn't wet enough so he just tips it over = puddles on the floor, and a soaking wet puppy! & you can't just lift the water bowl because then he cries for more water :)!!! He then goes and spends half an hour barking at our very bemused guinea pig whilst i try to shut him up! Then he goes on to play tug a war with my blanket (that i have wrapped around because i cant put heating on because the DOGS get too hot :rolleyes:) and when that fails he just goes for my jeans getting my legs in the process! & thats only been in the last 2 hours :D! He is now fast asleep in the bathroom (i hope) but you can bet that when i go to get a kip, he will all of a sudden come alive :lol:. This has been a pretty good morning too, we all know it could've been alot worse lols x

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Fuzzybugs, you bring back memories! Just a tip though - get a stand for his water bowl, something high enough so that he can drink comfortably but not get his paws in it. There is a place on Ebay which is very good if you want I will give you the name. As far as newfies are concerned, water is for paddling in, not for drinking.

I have to say though that I have never had trouble with a puppy keeping me awake at night. When I was in the bungalow all my puppies just came and slept beside the bed quite happily and when we got Joshua, he was quite happy tucking up with Ferdie. I have had a few accidents on the floor, naturally, but nothing to get excited about. Now it seems I have a full grown dog keeping me awake! Is this payback?:lol:

4. Plabebob

Plabebob PetForums Senior

I heard that eating/drinking from a stand can increase the risk of bloat. Or is that just an old wives tale?

5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

This is one of those things that nobody can make up their minds about but everyone is an expert! When I got Ferdie, I was told that their food and water needed to be raised up to prevent bloat. Now there are those saying the opposite. I have always had mine raised up and never had any problems and it seems logical to me as the floor is a long way down for a newfie!

I don't think water being up high has ever been a problem anyway, it is just the food they are arguing about. All a newfie will do with a water bowl is stick his paws in it. Even now where we go on the heath, the owner of the cafe leave buckets of water out for the dogs and the first thing they do is put both paws straight in, so it is all mucky for the next dog that comes along!

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It is surprising all the things that you do forget about. Both my last 2 did the dawn chorus awake as soon as got light and the birds started. My malamute was a devil for the water bowl too used to splash it everywhere. Remembering things and being reminded has brought me to one conclusion we must all be mad!!

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

great thread Rainybow:thumbup:

i can only reiterate what everyone else has been saying! once you get one your life has to change if youre going to give the dog/puppy a good life:thumbup:...

so heres my experiences ... theyre a bind! an extra worry, can be destructive,sometimes noisy,get dirty,get hairs all over the place...i absolutly dread visitors wearing Black:eek6:...tis a magnet for husky fur i have to parcel tape them down as they leave:eek:, you can only see through the top half of my patio windows as theyre always covered in dog snot:arf:, even my dining table is used a a bed by one particular dog:p...dont they sound great!:001_unsure:!!:D

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Excellent thread rainy.

Just to add, if you are thinking of getting a dog and are not quite sure. Hopefully you will consider a rescue, first and foremost ;)

If you do consider a rescue, you could first sign up as a dog walker and get to see what it is like going out in all weathers. Or you could become a fosterer with the intention of keeping the dog if it all works out.

I have 5 dogs now, 4 being rescues.

It has been the most rewarding thing I have done, especially with my 2 Greek Rescues, but I wouldn't change it for the world. But it has also been the most challenging!

x

9. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

:lol: This one post alone reminded me why i said i wouldn't ever have another puppy when Oscar was about 6 months :lol:

10. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Another thing to remember is the extra and unexpected cost if your dog gets something serious before the insurance has kicked in. Joshua costs me a fortune in medication and supplements. I have just managed to pay for his x-rays, now he has to have a blood test. All this is because I took him to the vet with his limp within ten days of the insurance policy starting. I did not dream for one minute that it would be anything as serious as arthritis at his age, or I might have waited.

It seems that every penny I earn goes on food for us and the dogs and Joshua's medicines.

11. xhuskyloverx

xhuskyloverx PetForums VIP

Haha definatly sounds like our house!! Whenever my auntie comes over she always has a long black coat on which is a funny material and bellas fur clings to it like mad :eek: we offer her the lint roll on the way out :eek:

Dog snot in our house is called nose art! :D lol Bella used to sleep on the window sill in the dinig room so that window was always full of nose art!!

noushka05 likes this.
  12. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

To add they are twice the work you expect them to be. I have had 1 full nights sleep in 3.5 months with my pup . They may not howl for the 1st few nights all of the quoted times are a best guess. Toilet training could take months not weeks, you may end up compromising on anything you agreed before getting a pup, ie who will walk when or sleeping arrangements. I guarantee you life will be changed by the new addition way more that you think.

If you have a new human baby, people will be sympathetic and coo. They will gladly babysit to just give you a night out or allow you some couple time. With a puppy you get none of this support.

Just when you think you have cracked one thing something else will rear its ugly head. You can never rest on your laurels, it will be your dogs mission in life to surprise you ( good or bad :eek:)

Dogs seem to go out of their way to do something naughty or embarassing at the worst possible moment.:eek:

I wouldn't be without my little girl though.

#72 Amy-manycats, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  13. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I'd much rather puppy sit than baby sit!!

14. JohnMorris

JohnMorris Banned

I wish that we could print these thoughts and suggestions into a book for people thinking of getting a dog or puppy because while we are not saying "do not get one" we are being practical and realistic. If more people were then less dogs would be in rescues and shelters. I have had dogs all my life and know no differnt but there are times that I do think "Oh a lie in would be lovely" or "I can't be bothered to take the dogs out, they can go tomorrow!" On the other hand when they are playing together and larking about it's like "arh".

15. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I will call my publisher tomorrow :lol:

Joking aside would make a nice charity book :thumbup:

16. jho!

jho! PetForums Junior

I used to have a nice garden with a lawn. Now I have grass with ever an ever increasing number of holes.

I used to enjoy a nice lie in on the weekend. Now I'm out walking at 6 in the morning.

I used to have a tidy house. Now I have balls, toys and chews lying around everwhere.

I used to have a pair of slippers...........

I have a 19 week out Golden Retriver boy, and I would not change him for the world:D

17. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Funny how we all post the worst but we still love em. That sais a lot and proves you must get back what you are prepared to give somewhere along the line :D

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Whatever the downsides, and they are obviously many, there is no better greeting when you come home tired and peed off than the greeting you get from a dog! They are pleased to see you, no matter what, they can't wait to give you a cuddle and a lick round the chops. I can barely get in the door sometimes with 23 stone of dog trying to get at me for a stroke and a scratch. Nothing beats that, nothing.

19. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

Absolutely totally and utterly agree!!!
    You can have the worst of days, be in the foulest moods or just plain want to sit down and cry.... and that delighted face and cold wet nose nuzzling into you when you get back home.....no wonder pet owners are generally happier.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

20. JohnMorris

JohnMorris Banned

The downsides of owning dogs is outweighed by the pleasure they give in return though eh?:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice