Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting a dog/puppy ?? The realities.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Nov 25, 2010.

1. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

He would go into the bathroom and find them (poodles like going up on their back legs and finding trouble :rolleyes:) then bring them to where we were sitting and open them all up. He would just walk away and ignore them after it!

2. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Whatever the standard temperment and characteristics for your breed are; your dog is an individual and could easily be different so you have to adapt!

I have a female greyhound, a breed that traditionally is lazy and not particuarly vocal, she needs a minimum of 2 hours of walks a day (usually gets 3!) and will bark and bark and bark if she doesn't get it! So you need to adapt to your dog however much they are different to what you expected.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Loving this thread peeps :thumbup: Tell it like it is :D. Hutch you crack me up but all very accurate :lol:

4. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

Great thread, can I also point out....

- You will never read/watch anything in one complete sitting again. In the course of trying to read this thread I have been presented with a ball, a teddy, a miscellaneous dog toy that must have been something reconisable once and what was once one of my favourite slippers, I have got up twice, once to refill his water bowl and once to retrieve some fire wood he decided to nick and chew....in fact I've almost forgotten what I'm typing about. And thats actually quite good going.

- The car. Forget having a clean sparkly nicely waxed car with a pristine interior and get used to having a mud splattered fur lined dog transportation vehicle. And believe me no car vaccum will ever get rid of the dog hair and you will one day try to part exchange what basically is a car shaped recepticle of dog fur, mud, sand, grit, assorted bowls, collars, towels, etc......and wonder why they don't offer you the market value.....

- Grass. Doggy books have you believe that dogs eat grass to be sick. The real truth is dogs eat grass which then passes through their digestive system whole only to get stuck coming out the other end....you have two choices watch your dog continue the walk with it dangling from the place the sun don't shine, hoping he gets rid before he has to get in the car/house (not going to happen).....or grab a tissue/dock leaf and pull.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

5. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

My Mum's rescue dog, Skye, does this. Except, instead of leaving them alone, he loves shredding them to bits all over the carpet. :eek: He has a very bad habit of finding them when my Grandmother is over: needless to say the sanitary towel bag is out of reach now!

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

:lol: :lol: :lol: That must be a Zach thing, i have never had to extract grass from my dogs butt :scared:

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Nor grass, but we once had to pull out a pair of tights that had gone right through our retriever! He was walking about with it half expelled.

If you decide on a very furry dog, be prepared to spend hours on your hands and knees cleaning him up when he either has the runs or sits in it!

8. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

See already this thread is putting me off :lol: ;)

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

oh i forgot about pulling grass out their bum!!! i`ve had to do it with jake after the bugger managed to swipe hay from the rabbit`s cage, it`s a glamorous lifestyle :thumbup:

10. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

omg i literally burst out laughing there and spit my drink all over the place :lol:

i`ve seen jake dig tampon wrappers out the bin but luckily we never have visitors much....he did piss all over the loft insulation guy 2 days ago though when they came to do a survey :eek:

11. Plabebob

Plabebob PetForums Senior

I just caught Tron trying to get at his stitches (I took the cone off for him to go outside as he can't get down the steps with it on!). Lured him inside with peanut butter, got the cone back on & then realised he had a hair-filled poo hanging out of his bum! Had to grab a poo bag quick & remove it for him.

*sigh*

12. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Poor guy but that did make me giggle :lol:

Oh the JOYS :D

13. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

The dust!:mad: I have to damp down surfaces every two days minimum.

I got rid of all carpets downstairs within a year of getting dogs as the lounge cream carpet looked like it had mud regularly thrown on it. It was that or confine them to the kitchen til they were spotless-don't see the point of having dogs locked up or outside, not my thing.

The pile of dogs on my knee: prevents me from marking/using the laptop.:D
    [​IMG]

The big dog has regular lampshade wearing incidents (currently has dermititis, according to the vet, but weirdly only on his man bits) and my shins are almost permanently black and blue!

I had the hanging poo thing in the woods the other day and had to find a big leaf, which of course promptly ripped! Yuk!

#53 cinnamontoast, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

When I got my first puppy she was perfect. Bit of a chewer and puller but nothing that couldn't be sorted out...

Last year we had our second pup, an english mastiff/dogue de bordeaux and things just went downhill. She was (and still is to a point) destructive, terrible to toilet train and dog aggressive. I wanted to throw in the towel many times as I just couldn't deal with it but I carried on... and finally a year on I have a wonderfully adjusted dog.

I realise though that not everyone would have done the same as me... if you want a pup that's going to be cute and lovely think twice because they're damn hard work. Just like children they're a real committment. You don't toss them out because they're not doing what you want them to do.

Great thread rainy :)

15. JohnMorris

JohnMorris Banned

If anyone is considering getting a dog or puppy think about this - it is blooming freezing out there and snowing in places, would you be prepared to walk a dog in this several times a day? Or gales, thunder and lightening? Would you prefer to be sat by the fire keeping warm? DO NOT GET A DOG THEN

16. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Basically the way i see it, If you are in the thinking stage and are still reading this thread thinking, Mmmmm well i could solve that problem by doing X and i have already sorted Y and i think i could handle Z then great :thumbup: you are halfway there however IF you are reading this thinking "It can't be that bad, they must be exagerating" DO NOT get a dog :001_cool:

bullmastiff_mama likes this.
  17. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i`ll vouch for what sequeena said, she has worked dam hard with that dog and like everyone lost her patience many a time as it really is hard work at times but if you think you can take it all on the luna is the best example of how a lot of hard work pays off. when i first met sequeena she was worried about luna around other dogs and now luna is able to run free with our friend`s dog decks and also took my boy jake under her wing first time they met and he adores her.....that girl worked her ass off to get her to that stage so the work really does reap benefits!!!!

i have to admit i couldn`t walk in thunder and lightening as i`d be on the floor having a panic attack, i`m like that in the house anyway never mind outside but luckily my oh doesn`t mind so my boy still gets walked

sequeena likes this.
  18. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

The idea of toilet training in this temperature and in the dark is abhorrent! The pup wouldn't want to go out so it's double hard. My pack are very keen on being comfy on their various beds.:D

19. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Having a dog with a small kid:

My daughter is nearly 3 and my dog is 5 months. Be prepaired for your child shouting, crying and bawling because the dog has run off with their favorite toy, because they let them chew their hand and cry when it hurts. Be prepaired to constantly supervise them whenever they are together and I am not joking! Yuri is a very mouthy puppy and although he is so much better than he was when we first got him it took a lot of training to stop him biting us. He still tries it occationally.

You know that rug your great grandma had in her livingroom? Well it got peed on and shreded. You want to keep it, put it away!

The poo mountain will be high every week, you have to keep that garden clean.

Getting poo on your hand when picking it up is not nice, especially if you have to walk 30 mins to get home.

They will find every loose thing in your house and make it worse.

Their farts smell like death incarnate.

They will cost a minium of £40 a month, even in december when you have to buy christmas presents.

They will keep you awake by sniffing and scratching the bottom of their crate, or knocking something downstairs.

Mine has a high chase drive, he chases the cats over the stairgate and has to be told constantly to stop.

Pee acidents apear around the house occationally. Luckily I had him trained by 4 months but I know some people have had dogs that take past 6 months to house train. It is not nice to tread in poo that you didn't see and slip up on wee.

But that sense of satisfaction when he sits for his dinner, or sits when a person is walking past instead of jumping up at them. Priceless.

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

6 months? Try nearly a year :eek:
    Damn dog :mad: :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice