Thinking of getting a dog/puppy ?? The realities.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Nov 25, 2010.

1. The Dog Owner

The Dog Owner PetForums Newbie

We have a handy breed selector tool on our website and information which can assist with this. I can't put the website address on here for some reason but you can also find us on FB under The Dog Owner.

2. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

I've now had star for 6 weeks I have to say it has been very hard work. It took a long time for me to bond with her as I just didn't expect for how much my life would change. Physically I was prepared and had everything I could possibly need but emotionally I wasn't.

Please listen to people when they tell you just how much things will change. You do not get a moment to yourself unless they're sleeping. With puppies you have to watch them constantly to make sure they're not about to go to the toilet or chewing something or eating something that could hurt them.

If you suffer from anxiety and or depression please be especially wary. While they can be excellent company and make sure you get out every day for walks. It's very difficult when you're having a bad day and just want to stay in bed. I got very ill when I first got my puppy and had to have someone look after her for a couple of days which was lovely of them, but they also ignored everything I had told them regarding routine so I had to start again.

JRB123 and The Dog Owner like this.
  3. hanan

hanan PetForums Newbie

HI IF you are looking to get a dog for you.i would suggest you to go for boxer dog.please read more about boxer dog here
    bestdogfoodforboxers. com

4. bettyThePretty

bettyThePretty PetForums Newbie

I agree with the Training part, always thought that you could train them in a weeks time like in those movies where you just rescued a dog and you somehow ended up with a misssion to save Earth, point is it's not as easy as we thought it is but that doesn't mean it is as not as fun as we thought it is

5. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

Thx for posting this. I got my staff at 6 weeks. She had been isolated from her litter mates for being a ' bully. With no one to teach her about bite. When I brought her home, for 4 months she was a hell hound ! If I touched her she bit me , if I fed her she bit me , if I looked at her she bit me ! Thankfully after much perseverance and hours googling dog behaviour , I now have a beautiful , incredibly affectionate 9 month old ..... puppies are hard work but the reward is amazing

char&percy likes this.
  6. jhosk1981

jhosk1981 PetForums Junior

At 7 months old, we are now experimenting with our new teeth! Look how strong they are when I chew on your hand, foot, stool, pillow, bed, floor, door, tv cabinet....you get the idea :)

7. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

Hahaha... mine's now 9 months and she literally changed the behaviour you describe overnight, when she came into season

8. jhosk1981

jhosk1981 PetForums Junior

Really! ours is a boy, I wonder (Hope) if he does the same soon.

9. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

Fingers crossed for you lol

10. JRB123

JRB123 PetForums Member

Please think twice before getting one. Before I had a puppy I couldn't understand why people would abandon their dogs. I would never do this myself but I can now see why it happens.
    We have had a puppy who has been a constant stress and worry health wise. He's brachcephalic so can't go out for long in the summer - which means all family outings are on hold. He also doesn't eat. We've spent a fortune on vets bills probably visiting the vet every fortnight. He's now on day 3 of not eating again and puking up orange bile all over the carpet. On top of that he woke me up at 12:30am, 1:30am and 3:30am. We can't do any family holidays anymore as he will be a nightmare and I can't put him in kennels or with a dog sitter as he won't eat. So now it's seperate holidays so one of us can stay home with him. We've spent 3 hours already today trying to get him to eat - me first hour, my daughter next hour and hub last hour. No luck. Meanwhile my kids are on school holidays being ignored as all our energies are going on this dog. When we let him in the garden this morning (supervised) he tried to bonk the cat and then chased him like a sheep dog so they nearly had a fight. Nightmare.
    We're in it for the long haul and won't give up but must admit I'm really really depressed right now and feel trapped.I think we all do.
    He's 5.5 months old and will be spayed in the next couple of months. Maybe that will make it better
    We've done puppy classes and he will do what he's told (for a dog chocolate button)
    I've been pretty much housebound since we had him and all the things we normally enjoy as a family like going to the beach etc we haven 't been able to do - it's either been too hot or he hasn't eaten. We were going to all attempt to go out today as the weather is cooler but now he hasn't eaten since yesterday and until he eats we won't as he will puke up bile.
    You don't really know what you're letting yourself in for with a puppy. In some ways we're lucky as he has generally been quite good behaviour wise but health wise not. Vets in the UK and Australia are really advising people to think twice about brachycephalic breeds. They are popular as they're so cute with character - but there has been unscrupulous breeding practices where they are bred for cute features. However these cute features cause them no end of problems like breathing problems, exercise and heat intolerance.
    I feel like my life has changed and because I love him I've actually ended up in tears most days since having him due to the stress and worry about either food or seeing him struggle in the heat or after a walk (he can only manage short walks)
    We will keep him and love him as it's not his fault but this will be my one and only ever dog. Never again. I'll stick with cats from now on which I've always had. Much easier compared to dogs and they also have their independence - whereas a dog TOTALLY relies on you.

11. Deroglitter

Deroglitter PetForums Newbie

Had a good chuckle and nodded in agreement and empathy , my bugbear.... "If it isn't nailed down it'll be in the garden"
    My Labrador rips paper to bits and my pug puppy runs away with tea cups and bowls, she has a thing for ceramics (eye roll)

char&percy and Worrid much like this.
  12. winterx

winterx PetForums Newbie

Another thing to take into consideration is if you will be crate training your dog. In the simplest form crate training sucks, you might be up for more than a few nights hearing your little puppy bark.

Also if you guys need some special pet products feel free to check out my business - it's called Happytailss
    you can visit it by checking out my Facebook page or happytailss.myshopify. com!

13. Marino Tilatti

Marino Tilatti PetForums Newbie

Really i love that post. Dog ownership is never what you expect it to be, but inevitably you walk down that path and your life is better for it

14. winterx

winterx PetForums Newbie

Very very true I now, I cannot even picture my life without my dog

Marino Tilatti likes this.
  15. adamsNancy

adamsNancy Guest

I agree with this guy.

16. adamsNancy

adamsNancy Guest

Right now me and my sis are experimenting with dog gps trackers.

17. Doglover17

Doglover17 PetForums Newbie

I thought I understood puppy training after bringing up 3 kids and 4 dogs. But (leaving aside kids) each dog is different and to be honest you don't know what they are going to do until you get them. This time I have found I have a puppy who looks under, over or inside everything and if possible chews up whatever he finds there . Yesterday, it was one of my wrist weights full of silicone balls. I thought I had puppy-proofed my house and have no idea where he found it. He also chewed my hall mat yesterday, so my son ended up saying "what a bad dog". But this puppy chews things most of the day, and 99% of them are things he is allowed to chew, like leather bones, and sticks, so I think he is rather a good dog......

This isn't really a question therefore, just an sharing of information. I am admitting that this time I have accidentally got myself a dog that needs constant attention. At the same time like no other dog I have owned, he makes me laugh constantly (big belly laughs as he runs up to me with funny things hanging out of his mouth, or does hoppy-jumps as he tries to reach high shelves to pull things down. He has just come to say hello to me with a stick stuck through his fringe (how?) and nose bumped my knee.

18. Scousewife

Scousewife PetForums Newbie

Delighted to have found & joined the forum today. Have spend quite a while reading this thread from beginning to end and found it most enjoyable, informative, enlightening and it certainly gave me food for thought. We are wanting a puppy but are still very much at the research stage. My take on it is the same as when I became pregnant I wanted to gain as much information as I could about becoming a parent and what to expect from a new born baby as in my eyes a puppy will indeed become the new baby of our family so I want to be as prepared as I can be. I feel all the more prepared having read this thread as the information contained is invaluable. So as someone hoping to get a puppy sometime in the future I thank all who have contributed to this thread, much appreciated x

19. toriab23

toriab23 PetForums Newbie

Hey I was just browsing this forum, and maybe some people on this thread might find reading my blog helpful being barney dot com

dasmaanab likes this.
  20. PoppyPaws

PoppyPaws PetForums Junior

We're two months in, and my main takeaway is to expect not to sleep for the first few months! I've not had a day in the last two months where I haven't seen midnight, 2am and 4am, and then the alarm goes off at 5:30! It's 100% worth it now, despite the sleepless nights, chewed shoes and hours spent in the garden waiting for anything!!