Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of getting a cavashiz wondering if they moult

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sally jane, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Sally jane

Sally jane PetForums Newbie

Thinking of getting a cavashiz just wondering if they moult. Would love to hear from other cavashiz owners

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It's a crossbreed so there is no way of knowing what kind of coat it will have.

3. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I'm guessing that is a crossbreed of a Cavalier and a Shih Tzu. With crossbreeds you cannot be sure what you are getting, including whether or not the dog will moult. Also most breeders of crossbreeds will not health test the dogs they are breeding from. Is there a particular reason why you want to get this cross?

Happy Paws2, evel-lin and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

What the cavashiz lol

5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Cavashiz? :Hilarious Unless that is some extremely rare breed I've never heard of I presume you are talking about some sort of fashionable crossbreed. The answer is you won't know because it's a crossbreed. If you want a dog that is guaranteed not to shed then you'll need to purchase a purebred dog.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Cavaliers shed, so it's likely the cross will too.

Happy Paws2, lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Ditto the crossbreed comments. And anyway, as a Shitzu has a double coat (needs a lot of grooming and it sheds) and a Cavalier has a silky coat that also sheds (a lot!) crossbreeding them is unlikely produce a dog that doesn't shed lol

J

8. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Get a cavachon they don't :rolleyes::D

9. Sally jane

I know that it's impossible to predict but my friends doesn't moult I was looking at % really if there is a good percentage that don't.

10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I don't think you can even hazard a guess. If it is important to you to have a non-shedding dog then I would suggest a purebred that is known to not shed. Why do you particularly want this mix? What are you looking for in a dog? I'm sure there will be at least a few different breeds that would suit you.

ouesi likes this.
  11. Sally jane

Interesting thank you so the bishon won over the cavalier with your little one

12. Sally jane

I know I should look at a pure breed but just love cavaliers

13. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

Well, if you love Cavaliers so much, why don't you consider getting a purebreed one? What's attracted you to the "Cavashiz" ?

14. Sally jane

Because I have a daughter who has asthma and would struggle with the moulting

15. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

The Shih Tzu is a low-shedding breed but the Cavalier isn't. If you crossbreed the two, there's no telling how much the offspring will shed. It's all down to chance with crossbreeds. One "Cavashiz" could be a high shedder, but another one might be a low shedder. If you need a dog that doesn't shed much, I think your best bet is to look at a completely different dog.

16. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Get a poodle they don't shed.

However

It may not be the hair that you're daughter is reacting to. It could be the saliva or dander which all dogs have regardless of breed

SpringDance, lorilu and lullabydream like this.
  17. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Then I don't understand why you would take a gamble with a crossbreed? if you breed a non shedding dog to a shedding dog then it's 50/50. If they DON'T shed then they will need daily grooming for life as this type of coat matts incredibly quickly, and will need professional grooming every 6-8 weeks or so at the cost of around £35.

I strongly suggest getting a breed that does NOT shed if this is a deal breaker for you. Otherwise what will you do, rehome the puppy when it starts to shed?

Not sure what the connection between asthma and moulting is either, I am asthmatic and have no problem with dog fur and one of mine sheds profusely.

FeelTheBern, lorilu, ouesi and 2 others like this.
  18. Sally jane

Hmm I know risky but I thought I would ask other cavashiz owners just see how much risk it is. But, I do understand that it will be a risk unless I get a older pooch

19. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Lower moulting yes ...but Shitzu's do moult ....so crossed with a Cavvie that dog will moult to a degree ..... http://smallfluffydogbreeds.com/shih-tzu-shedding-explored-do-shih-tzu-shed/

I wouldn't risk it if I was looking for a dog that doesn't moult because of allergies. I would stick with those that are known not to moult ...ie; poodles.

J

SpringDance likes this.
  20. danielled

danielled Guest

Get a poodle. They are the better option.

Happy Paws2 and Burrowzig like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice