Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking of breeding my Cavalier KC, advice needed :)

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by rachy09, Aug 15, 2009.

1. rachy09

rachy09 PetForums Junior

I have an 8 month old ckc who started her first season a few days ago, Im hoping to breed her in the future but would like to know which season is best to do this on as some people say 2nd and others say 3rd. Ive always had my female dogs spade in the past but would like Cookie to have a litter before I have her done.

Would like some general info on breeding as I want to make sure I do everything properly,also wondering the best way to find a stud for her? Ive had a look around online although I wont be needing one for a while but so far been unable to find much info.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer xx

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I would say 3rd season...But then that also depends on how old she would turn on her 3rd season..imo she shouldnt be any younger than 2 years old..Also not until ALL health tests are done and only if she comes back clear/good scores..

CAV
    Where are you ;)

#2 DevilDogz, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  3. rachy09

rachy09 PetForums Junior

Thank you for that, should I leave the health tests until just before i plan to breed her or can they be done anytime?

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Health tests can be done at any time But some tests cant be done until a certain age....There is no need to wait until you plan to breed her..By rights you should be planning on getting the tests done as soon as..Then that way you have until she is ready to breed to match pedigree's with a choose sire and plan this litter in depth.

#4 DevilDogz, Aug 15, 2009
  5. rachy09

rachy09 PetForums Junior

Will be making appointment to see my vet as soon as then, I wasnt going to breed her until she was in her 2nd year, but my monster in law (excuse the pun) told me that was too old....she has tried breeding and I had a big blow up with her as she bred her youngest at 18months old and it ended badly with the mother needing a c section, she lost the pups and in the end needed a hysterectomy. I told her she was too young but some people think they know everything!! :cursing:

I know some dogs have pups at this age with no complications but i believe its much better to allow the dog to mature before doing so.

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Yes defo not before the age of 2..Health test are not done through the vets i dont belive..Im sure there is a cav breeder that will reply to this as soon as she see's it that will be able to tell you what tests are needed and how you can go about getting them done!:)

What made you decide to breed your girlie then! :)

#6 DevilDogz, Aug 15, 2009
  7. rachy09

rachy09 PetForums Junior

see, I know nothing lol this is why I need as much advice as possible, at least I have plenty of time to wise up :blushing:

Ive decided to breed Cookie as Ive always been in love with the cavaliers, but until now I have had all my time taken up with my own babies, now they are older and not demanding as much of my attention I have much more time on my hands, I was looking to buy another pup as they are such a pleasure to have around, but then thought id look into breeding Cookie and keeping the pups instead of selling them :)

8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Ok i would also suggest that inbetween getting all her health tests done you find some one in the breed (again i cant help you with this)maybe the breeder...and ask them to have a look over your girl and give there honest views to if they think she is a good enough example to breed from..Its all well the vets saying she is fit and healthy enough, and yes that is important but so is the health tests and if she is up to standard..

Of course i belive if she has any majour faults with in the breed standard she shouldnt be breed from..

Also keeping a whole litter isnt really a very wise thing to do..you would have to think about keeping up to maybe 7/8 pups getting them all spayed and neautered so they couldnt mate each other.Also have the room and time to care for that many demanding puppies..I would have another long and hard think about that while you are planning everything else! :eek:

#8 DevilDogz, Aug 15, 2009
  9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could the breeder of your bitch not offer any advice? Have you checked her papers for endorsements?

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

11. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I think I'm right in saying that Cookie shouldn't be MRI scanned for SM until she is over 2 years of age. I'm sure Cav will know for sure though :)

12. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Is Cookie a good example of the breed? If not, then it is wise to not breed from her. Keeping the whole litter would be very expensive. Say she has 5, that's 5 yearly boosters, 5 mouths to feed, 5 puppies to train all at the same time, 5 teenage phases to cope with at the same time. I think it would be too hard, and it's probably best to buy 1 puppy when Cookie is over a year old.

13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I think she needs to be at least 2yrs (possible 3yrs) old due the the health tests required. Cavaliers have so many health problems it would be wrong to breed from her without doing them first. It's worth checking with the breed club.

1 person likes this.
  14. cav

cav PetForums VIP

2 and a half;)

15. cav

cav PetForums VIP

hi

i have posted on you wall my advice is keep her as a pet:)

16. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

I too would advise keeping her as just a pet. Please look at the link below and read through the whole webpage. This breed is completely fraught with complications and problems. Unless your girl is a perfect example conformationally and is also the picture of perfection healthwise (including all tests), please please don't breed.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - Health & Genetic Diseases

(If you decide eventually to breed anyway...Please wait until she is at least 2 years of age.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice