Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Thinking about giving up my dog...I am ready

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lyndsay Hart, May 2, 2019.

1. Lyndsay Hart

Lyndsay Hart PetForums Newbie

6 months ago we brought home a rescue dog who we knew needed training but we were told he was good with kids, intelligent and active and healthy.

He has been lovely in so many ways, made good progress with his training and is a lovely companion in the home. BUT I seldom enjoy walking him because he is so driven to seek and chase prey, and even more important, he seems to hate children or be very jealous of them. He isn’t phased seeing children out and about, but If they are in his home or if me or my husband show them any affection/attention he barks at them. He snapped at my goddaughter the other day while I was babysitting her. We have had a trainer in and are trying our best but things haven’t really got better, they are actually worse. I feel we are good doggie parents, he gets walked twice a day, lots of toys, play time, we get someone to visit him middle of the day if we are going to be out a long time, careful with his food and have been patiently training him. But I am now scared to invite friends with kids over to my house, and am scared of taking him with to places or events where there will be children. We have told the adoption agency but they said he had no history of aggression and haven’t really helped. As I am expecting a baby in October I am obviously very concerned. Can you train jealously out of a dog? How long should we keep trying to help him enjoy children before we give up and find a child free home for him? And will I ever enjoy walking him? I so badly want to walk him off lead and my husband wants him to be a running partner but he can’t be trusted off lead as he winds himself up so much chasing. I feel like I am putting in so much work but getting little in return from him. I am ready to start looking for a new home for him but hubby wants to keep trying with the training. I am worried I will never be able to trust him with children. Please any stories or encouragement? He’s an English pointer.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If you do choose to rehome him, please do it through the original rescue, they likely have an agreement to that effect anyway.

May I ask what the trainer has advised as far as how to handle his behavior?

The not liking kids thing could be a lot of things, but in general, yes you can make it work, but it will largely depend on how much effort you want to put in to it. I would suggest being very honest about this. There is absolutely no shame in not wanting to deal with a 'project' dog, if that's not something you want to do, then by all means, return him to the rescue and please don't feel guilty about it. It happens that dogs and homes aren't a good match.

We have successfully had kids in a multidog home, some of the dogs liked kids, some did not. But we are a more experienced than average home and had tons of support as well.

As for off-leash, it may very well be that this dog will never be safe off-leash. You can absolutely keep him fulfilled and exercised with a long line, but again if this is a deal-breaker, it's okay to admit that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice