Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Thinking about breeding my chihuahuas,advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by GizmoMogwai01, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it's great that you've come here for advice before committing to breeding your dogs. Please understand that the advice offered is to ensure the best interests of you all, no-one is having a go at you. Unfortunately Chihuahuas are a breed fraught with problems in breeding, there are so many potential genetic and whelping risks.
    As previously said, only this week we've had a thread started by someone who lost their bitch after whelping , tragic, but it happens.
    If you could reassure us as to which health tests you've found out to be necessary prior to breeding your dogs we would appreciate it.

2. GizmoMogwai01

GizmoMogwai01 PetForums Junior

Yes thanks I thinking that’s the best way forward I’m in no rush just want to try and do things the right way...and hopefully all will go well!

3. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

Again though, just because two dogs are excellent examples of their breed doesn't necessarily mean they're the best match in terms of breeding. Conformation, temperament, health test results, inbreeding coefficients. All these things need to be taken into account when choosing a pairing to breed from, not just whether the dogs are individually suitable for breeding.

What do you consider to be "exceptional pedigrees"? Are their lines rare, underused or recently imported?

How many litters has Gizmo already sired? How did you select the bitch(es) he was put to, what was the aim of the breeding and do you feel that aim was achieved?

If you're interested in showing as well as breeding it makes a lot of sense to get involved in that first. Showing isn't always the best barometer of whether a dog is worth breeding from or not but it can be an extremely useful thing to do. It's very difficult to accurately assess our own and getting plenty of opinions from third parties can be very eye opening. Getting involved in the show world and the wider breed community will mean you'll get to know the breed better, you'll be able to a clearer idea of exactly what it is you want to breed for and the contacts to go about it.

FeelTheBern, LinznMilly and Sproglet like this.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would begin by showing your bitch.

Start off at Open Shows and, if she's winning, move onto Championship Shows.

If she does well, then you will be in a much better position to use a top class dog with her.

Do research what health tests, (not checks), need to be done, otherwise, the owners of the best stud dogs likely will not consider her.

5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

The comments I made were not snide, just honest.

Just because you can breed your dogs doesn't mean you necessarily should. @SingingWhippet has pointed out lots of really helpful advice & things in which you should look into before breeding. My advice would be to do just that, skipping this season whilst you research & look into everything more carefully. If by next season your dogs are still suitably compatible then you'll be in a better position.

Also, I'm sure there are plenty of quality studs in the show ring, or perhaps someone from the breed club would be able to advise you further in choosing a suitable, quality, male.

6. GizmoMogwai01

Thanks for all the help/suggestions it’s very helpful. I have a lot to think about!!hopefully this time next year I’ll be very confident in every aspect of this. Thank u

Blitz likes this.
  7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

You can't just take them to some champ shows you need to have passes to get the dogs out only entered dogs are usually allowed into champ shows although some are now allowing spectator dogs.

Chihuahuas are often mated earlier than you would normally breed from a bitch my own bitch was 2 1/2 when I mated her and I was advised it was too late and I would have problems luckily I didn't but when I seeked advise from breeders I was told around 18 months for a first litter. My bitch missed a season so was nearly 2 1/2. I also looked into the parentd lines to see if their mothers , grandmothers and great grandmothers were self whelpers as this could give an idea of if your bitch will self whelp. A bitch bre from self whelping lines is more likely to self whelp than a bitch that was born by c section. Honey's breeder will only ever have bitches from self whelpers and has never had a bitch need a section yet. Although this is obviously not set in stone it just gives an idea of what to expect and as I said was what I was advised and it worked for me.

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. GizmoMogwai01

Thanks that’s really helpful. I know her mother and grandmother etc all self welped and none had c-sections, well that’s what the breeder told me as she still owns all those dogs, so hopefully that will go in her favour.

9. GizmoMogwai01

Why would she have problems if I left her till she was a little older out of interest?if I miss this next season it would be around Oct and she would be 20 months

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I see in your other post that your bitch is lilac. I thought that was not an accepted colour with the KC.

lullabydream likes this.
  11. Sky Full Of Stars

Sky Full Of Stars PetForums Newbie

I would worry about the growth and joints of the female if you breed her too soon. Even with her being a small breed. For a safe whelping the pelvic region and hip width need to be fully formed and at a good width. Young dogs might not have strong enough knee and hip formation.

Blitz and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I was told if you mate them after the pelvis has set then it can cause problems funnily enough someone at ringcraft last night who breeds pomeranians told me the same thing last night about poms. We were actually talking about spitz and she was saying that at least with them you do not have to mate them early.

I don't know about that I think the only colour that they will not register is merle there is a woman who shows chihuahuas who use to show a lilac bitch unless they are registered as CNR but then they wouldn't be able to show she did well at champ shows with her little bitch too.

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure why we have 2 threads on exactly the same topic , so closing this one to avoid confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice